My First "High End" System!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You just bought some expensive equipment from a dealer. See what kind of a deal he can offer you on new or used equipment stands. He has already made his profit so he could give you a sweet deal. Mention that you'll be looking for speakers in a year or two. He'll want you to come back!

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Great choice. Congrats.

3. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Nice setup Congrats. Did you give up on Home Theater? A while back you wanted to upgrade your processor but mostly wanted better 2 ch audio.

4. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Holy cow OP, nice one! As a long time McIntosh guy, let me tell you... You are going to be blown away. Killer rig.

BrokenByAudio, Joey_Corleone and LeeS like this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Please PM me your address, travel dates, and alarm-disabling code. Thanks!

beowulf and Joey_Corleone like this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, I love my home theater! It just is not priority. I am very happy with my projector, screen, surrounds, and Yamaha AVR for HT applications. That will just integrate into the new system. I upgraded my Yamaha RX-A720 to the RX-A830 strictly to get pre-outs. It will still run all the HT processing. The Yamaha will only power the center and surround channels. I will run pre-out for the mains from the Yamaha to the C2500 and utilize the HT bypass function of the C2500.

Bass management will also change. In the Yamaha bass management, I will set it to "no sub" so that the LFE and full range is sent out the pre-outs to the C2500. From the C2500 I will run line out of output 2 into the subwoofer. I will utlize the controls on the subwoofer for crossover. That way, I have my sub for movies, but if I ever want a little extra bass kick when listening to 2 channel I can do that as well.

7. ghost rider

Cool I was wondering how you were going to do it. I may very well be following in your foot steps. I looked at the C2500 and it looks sweet. I will likely bring a demo home next week if it’s available. Same place I bought my Bryston nothing like listening to it on your own system.
    One possible problem connecting 2 preamps together is you can introduce a ground loop. So that is my reservation. I pulled my hair out for years and I finally have a dead silent system.
    I love it when I throw in the dice and start to think about how it will all get put together. I was also thinking about bass management. I will try it your way first my subs are currently being crossed over at 50Hz by an F-Mod an inexpensive passive filter. My first thought was to continue to use the Bryston and just connect one of the outputs on the C2500 into an unused input and dial it in at a specific volume location. I did wonder if that setup could have a risk of a feedback loop so I’m not sure if that’s a good idea.

samn likes this.
  8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cactus Bob and Campbell Saddler like this.
  9. ghost rider

Did you give any thought to the C-50? A dealer near me has both set up so I'm going to at least listen to the C-50 but I'm leaning tword the C-2500 but I really have not listened to any real tube gear before. It's just so highly regarded around here.

10. Joey_Corleone

First teaser...so yes, this actually is happening lol. Now...how to get the 150 pound 452 and the 240 pound shelving unit down 2 flights of stairs UGH

[​IMG]

11. Joey_Corleone

I did actually. It was between that and the C2500. I liked the 8 band EQ on the C50, but at the end of the day I thought I would go for the tube driven C2500. I can only find good things written about both units, and I don't think you would go wrong with either.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

New toys in boxes - it's such a thrill.

Jerry James and T'mershi Duween like this.
  13. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Nah, that stuff is all crap. You don't need it. :tsk:

Let me drive over and take it off of your hands. :D

Dang it, I'm envious! When's the listening party? ;)

14. Joey_Corleone

Well, assuming I don't break my back or kill myself trying to get the MC452 and new shelving unit down into my finished basement where the home theater/listening room is, with any luck I will get to actually audition the system tomorrow night! Let's be honest, Saturday and Sunday is going to be music and moves marathon sessions : )

15. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Go all in and get the XR100s!! :D:D:D

[​IMG]

You KNOW it's inevitable!!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Try not to move the MC452 box by yourself.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

For larger items, I've actually slid them down the steps from the bottom end. Carpeted steps are no problem for boxes, but if they're not carpeted, I sometimes take an old rug, flip it upside down so the rubber portion is facing up, and lay the box on that before sliding it down. (Might work unless those metal stair protectors are on the edges of the steps, as those can slice into just about anything.) I have used that rug trick for moving large items across tile or linoleum floors also. Better to try sliding than lifting those beasts!

JL6161 likes this.
  18. Redux

Redux Active Member

Congratulations!! Gear for a life time!

This is pretty expensive stuff. Which loudspeakers are you planning to review for this equipment? Do you have ESL like Soundlab or Martin Logan in mind, or are you planning to have more dynamic "power" speakers? You have enough power to launch a space rocket there. I guess you are considering floor standing speakers of some sort?

19. Redux

Redux Active Member

Agreed! My back was hurting after moving and installing a MA-7900, which is a light weighter compared to this monster.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Tip/lower them onto a large towel so you can drag them to the stairs then slide them down slowly with some help.

Don't try to 'carry' them downstairs.

Hurry up, man! Open dem boxes and get these far'd up! :righton:

21. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Congratulations! That's some great stuff you bought !:edthumbs:

22. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Congrats and enjoy! :edthumbs:

23. Joey_Corleone

Well for now I will be using my existing speakers - Canton GLE 490.2. The McIntosh stuff I bought is in an entirely different league, and I knew that going into the project, but the upgrade path I chose was preamp and power first because it was the weakest link in my chain. Speakers will be the next big purchase...when I have money again...it will be a while hehe

Like most people, I couldn't afford to do it all at the same time and will have to save up for speakers. I also don't use credit at all, so cash flowing all this stuff takes some time for me. I know I probably won't get the most out of this amp and preamp combo with my $1400/pair speakers, but I am OK with that for now.

Redux likes this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Yeah my steps leading to the basement are carpeted! I might give that a try. The other idea I had was to remove all the packaging in my living room upstairs and then just lift the 452 by the handles and lug it downstairs. 110 lbs with handles is a lot easier to do than a gigantic 160 pound box. Worst case scenario, my neighbor said he would help me.

25. Redux

Redux Active Member

Well, I upgrade with the same approach like you. Buy the best gear when I have saved up money. My amp also had to be replaced first. Now I am considering Martin Logan Montis as new speakers or brand new Quads. TBD. Depending on your music taste - I would recommend to spend time to read about and understand Electrostatic Speakers. They have a huge sound stage and clear sound that no dynamic/normal speaker ever can reproduce, and they are relatively "cheap" compared to what you get.

Anyways, for now - enjoy your new and great amplifiers :) I am sure they will make a big difference on your Canton speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.