My First "High End" System!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'm jealous!!

:)

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

You get the first credit for this - I missed it. :righton:

Reminds me of the time my wife's work was auctioning off some office furniture, my wife and her boss both bid on humungous office desks and each won.

We got our delivery dropped off at a condo we were living in - had a friend come over to help and holy &$#@ the desk was break your back heavy!

At first we tried lifting and carrying it up to the second floor where my wife's 'office' was - NFW.

Then, I got the bright idea - flip the desk over and push it up the carpeted steps - worked great!

Next week at work, my wife and her boss exchanged stories. The boss's husband, a big guy, and a buddy tried to carry and lug the desk up their stairs - banged into walls, broke a leg on the desk, sweated, swore, but finally got it up the stairs.

My wife said that we flipped the desk over and got the desk up in a matter of minutes! A rare gem of spousal pride.

Now - to the OP - get going with that carpet idea!! :winkgrin:

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Great minds...! :laugh:

I had to do it out of necessity. If it wasn't my living by myself and having to move things around, it was having to move different households of furniture and other items myself. It got to where I could flip furniture onto its flattest and/or smoothest side and maneuver it up or down the flights of stairs. Had to get quite creative!

I had a crate delivered back in February or March this year, about 110 pounds and bulky. Getting it up the landing from outside was a task by myself--it hand handles, but the crate was not much narrower than a standard doorway. But once I got it on a flipped rug, I slid it across the kitchen to the table where I was able to unpack everything.

I swear though...next time I move, I'm hiring a moving company. Too old for this.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

That gear is just sinful. There will always be something bigger and better on the block but McIntosh gear has a look all to itself.

BrokenByAudio and Joey_Corleone like this.
  5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The smell of new gear is great when you first take off the wrapping.

Use it in good health.

BTW, when you can, and if they are available where you live, I would recommend checking out Golden Ear Triton 2s - awesome sound at a friendly price.

6. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Seriously!

I actually get excited seeing the UPS/Fed Ex truck driving in my neighborhood.

That's 'cause it's usually heading to my home with various goodies... :D

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

The next 24 - 36 hours are going to kill me. I have this gear sitting in my house and can do nothing with it until

1) The cabinet arrives at the local Fedex hub tomorrow sometime and I go pick it up, find a way to get it into my car, and haul it home
    2) Painstakingly assemble said cabinet

The anticipation is building - Electricians were in this morning running dedicated 20A for the beast!

Also, my room is totally tore up. I had to rip down the old cabinet and unhook all my gear to give the electrician access to what he needed. Nothing is hooked up. I need to get the cabinet put together, and everything hooked back up by Monday. Why Monday? Because that is when my wife gets home from visiting her folks...it only makes sense that everything is just DONE by that time...then I can blame all these massive changes and upgrades as being in good graces with the audiophile fairy : )

Cactus Bob and utahusker like this.
  8. Redux

Redux Active Member

Enjoy the pain :)

Cactus Bob likes this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I would not wait - set the components on the floor and get the music happening and then you have something to listen to while you assemble the cabinet.

10. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

No doubt besides you need to start the burn-in time.

11. Upinsmoke

Agreed. I would not have the willpower to wait on hooking them up. You need to light up those puppies. Do it now!

12. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

This is/was a big concern for me but I came up with a plan you may want to think about. If I do squeeze the trigger I’m going to get one of these. http://schiit.com/products/sys-passive-preamp My problem is my DIY subs have no gain except for the bass management in the Bryston. So your method would likely not work, I have no way tweaking the output of the subs. So this little preamp lets me switch between the LFE output on the Bryston and the secondary outputs on the C2500 for 2ch music.
    For me this is perfect I like still having the LFE for movies. I’m not sure if it in reality will sound any better.

13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Congratulations! I hope they give you many years of enjoyment! :thumbsup:

14. Joey_Corleone

OK, so this happened yesterday : ) I will post back with my thoughts once I finish tweaking and have some time to do so

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Bonus points for the sweet 1991-era Metallica poster on the wall. Had the same one!

Dmann201 likes this.
  16. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Looks fantastic and I'm sure it sounds even better. Only thing I would consider is moving your gear to the side so that nothing's between your speakers except the flat screen. As beautiful as the blue lights are, in my experience, you can achieve a much wider and deeper soundstage with nothing between. This may just be some sort of optical (or would it be auditory) illusion but when I listen to systems with nothing but air between the speakers it seems to take on more life. This may be the mind playing tricks because we see the stuff between the speakers and so our sense of depth is limited. Move the gear and the speakers themselves will kinda disappear into this wonderful and deep wall of music. Just my opinion, and by the way, something I can't achieve either because of my room configuration... but I have heard the difference.

17. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Awesome thread. I am enjoying watching this unfold. Congrats.

18. Joey_Corleone

One day if I ever have a dedicated 2 ch room, I would absolutely do that. Right now, it is not really an option. I considered that, but ended up deciding on a much bigger badder cabinet instead. The HT integration and the amount of space I have to work with would make it pretty difficult to put the gear off on the side somewhere. Plus, my back is destroyed from working on this for like 12 hours yesterday and I'm not moving it. ever : )

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Very nice. What kind of rack is that?

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  20. Joey_Corleone

It is made by a company called Salamander. The dealer I bought my gear from recommended it, and I am glad he did! They are heavy duty, and fully customizable, and very easy to get together. The top shelf alone there is rated for like 250 pounds, and each shelf in the middle is full adjustable and rated to 75 pounds. I really liked that all the shelves didn't have to be a uniform size or spacing, and I could configure it however I wanted. You can order them in many different conigurations, which are basically different variations of how many rows/columns you need. As you can see, I was able to really tweak the middle column to fit my 452, 2500 and center channel PERFECTLY. Glad I measured beforehand!

here is what I got, the synergy triple with 31" height http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/details/5fa4cfcb-f9d0-d0fd-97dd-5125e395582c

21. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Really great looking setup! I have also just ordered a Salamander box. Should be here next weekend. No Macs to show, tho!

22. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

What brand is your equipment rack? It's a really nice design. Modern and understated. Looks sturdy.

OOPS! Saw that you answered my question above. Cool! :edthumbs:

23. Joey_Corleone

question about speaker placement. I know that at a minimum I probably want the front speakers out off the back wall far enough so the woofers clear the cabinet in the middle. You think I should pull them out so that the back of the speaker cabinets fully clear the cabinet in the middle?

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You should contemplate doing some measurements and making a drawing and then consider the possible locations based on something simple like rule of thirds, or rule of fifths, and ensure that side distance, back distance, and woofer distance from the floor are not multiples of one another. So rather than think of the aesthetics, think of the room.

It's easy to do in Visio or something, using guidelines from the Cardas site. Once you have plotted possible locations, see if anything works for you.

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

25. Upinsmoke

Those pieces look amazing. Think you will be done in that area of your system.

Best concert I saw was Metallica at a small place in Newark de called the stone balloon. Sadly no longer there, many fond memories. Getting to do high fives with Kirk and James. Not to mention the tickets were free. Priceless as they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.