My Foobar setup with pics - Computer Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by portisphish, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

Foobar Question.

After two years (off and on) I finally got a Foobar set-up I'm satisfied with. It employs a layout similar to the one shown in the first post in this thread. I have one question. Does anyone know if it is possible to edit the text included with the covers in this view? I have no use for the genre line, but would like to add a comment line for some albums. I suspect it would be simple once I find the correct page.

2. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

I assume this theme is using EsPlaylist? If so, in Preferences/Tools/EsPlaylist/Grouping select the Preset Setting and press Edit. There should be a line containing %genre% in the Side Info box, replace that line with [$meta(comment)$] (including the brackets). This will display the content of the Comment tag of the tracks, if one exists.

3. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't check this thread for months! My configuration has evolved a bit since my post, in particular to display all the artwork contained in the album folders, but the essential elements are still as on these pictures.

This is the Default UI. The left column contains two instances of Facets (old version from 2008), while the middle column contains an EsPlaylist and the foo_textdisplay plugin below, all configured to my taste. Properties dialog, album art viewer and the meters are all standard plugins that come with foobar, you just have to insert some splitters into the tabs first to create windows and then add the plugins. I especially like the Wikipedia and Discogs buttons top right, that open the respective discographies for the selected artist, which I've realized using the foo_run plugin. The HDCD and Pre-Emphasis buttons have become obsolete since the respective plugins are activated automatically now if those features are detected. PM me if you would like more details.

4. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

That worked. Thank you.

5. Another DarkOne huge fan here (have been using it since 1.5!) !

6. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Portisphish: Nice setup! I installed Jason's theme and foobar works just fine, but I don't get that first screen to work. The one where you can browse through your collection. How did you set up this one? If I start my foobar it looks like that. I can search for different albums from my collection, but foobar offers me only a normal file structure to chose from. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Attached Files:

7. lobo

Another question: Is there a way to have a screen design that includes the album art, but not the "visualizations"? I only manage to show both at the same time, but I want to see just the album art and save the rest of the screen for the playlist and other relevant information, not waste it for the somehow annoying visualizations... Thanks!

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

This picture is from my laptop, but my desktop is set up the same (except with a different and 10 times bigger playlist.

I've got quite a few audio plugins. But i haven't changed anything cosmentically. But am willing to try if i find something i like.

Attached Files:

9. lobo

Anyone? :wave:

10. Flacjunky

Flacjunky Well-Known Member

Having migrated from WinAmp I configured it to look like WinAmp on steroids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I really like the setup. I'm trying to figure out how I did it for you. LOL. Sorry, but I don't remember. Getting old sucks. I'll mess around with it soon and hopefully will have an answer for you.

12. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Anyone know how to get album artwork that fits the whole screen, with the song titles over the top?

13. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Well i dont have a Doctorate in computer code so my Itunes player will have to suffice :sigh:

14. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

I'll probably get around to customising my fb2k on the main system to look more swish, but as it is it's just about as basic as it gets. The netbook is more or less a clone -with a few additions.
    Just the one tab open with a list of track - title / artist - album. A que panel at the very bottom. Open facets library viewer to select what to play, in it's simplistic list form: artist / track - title - album - replaygain.
    I've got playlist attributes setup with a custom EQ for a playlist with radio stations in it that is dropped about 8dB. Other playlists use global settings which include a VST compressor to even out the tunes more than replaygain can - ala radio style.

As I say, this is real basic stuff, super simple and f-ugly compared with some. It's super practical however, and allows for the all the functionality that my parents (who own the netbook) need. I had to make it simple for them, but also powerful. They don't have the room for graphics on their tiny 800x600 screen - not if they want to see more data.

15. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Can anyone please tell me how to get that damn Waveform Seekbar to work? Have it installed, I can go into the Scratchbox and add it there and I see the waveform. I'm in Layout Editing Mode; how do I add that seekbar to my layout? I can right-click on my "Playlist View" and replace that with the seekbar but how do I add it up top?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

16. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Layout editing mode, and replace element with a divider. Then you have two panes to replace with what ya want.

17. portisphish

Are you stll looking for help with your foobar setup to look similar to mine? I just had to redo mine and I think I can walk you through it if you are still wondering, and yes I know this is 2 years later. This hobby comes and goes for me.

18. portisphish

All of the components links are still working, and I just had to redo this install. It still is my favorite way to browse and play my music, but it took me a while to figure some little things out, so if anyone later wants to try this interface, this post should clear up any confusion.

SEE post 8 from this thread for links to the theme and the extra needed components (2 or 3 only)

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=61333

1. Clean install of foobar.....

2.Unzip/Extract Jasons clean zip into your Foobar Themes folder. YES, you need to make sure you are extracting as administrator or it will not extract. 7-zip didn't work for me, but windows (I think) unzip did.

3. Then the needed components get extracted to your Foobar Components folder....theres only 3....2 if you are on xp. Again, make sure administrator extraction takes place.

4. Now start Foobar and IMPORT a theme....browse to "theme" and this will install Jasons clean theme.

5. Go to Library--->Album List and right click on all music and send to current playlist and on the bottom left view by FOLDER STRUCTURE (if you have you folders setup).

Then you will get a screen that looks something like this.

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  19. portisphish

6. Next its as simple as dragging the window where you see the album covers up to cover the genre, artist, album columns.

7. And dragging the album artistcolumn to the left in order to get the amount of albums that you want to see on one screen.

Can look something like this...

[​IMG]

20. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I like my Foobar theme (one of the old Dark themes) but I do like the idea of changing it up now and again. I know I had to apply some changes to install the Dark version; how easy is it to test some other themes out without losing my configuration?

21. marchetti87

marchetti87 New Member

This is the layout that I've set:

[​IMG]

HAmmer and c-eling like this.
  22. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

@marchetti97 That level meter is rather slick, how did you get that? What component is it?

23. marchetti87

marchetti87 New Member

This component is known as "foo_vis_vumeter" and the official page for the latest version is this (in Russian): http://foobar2000.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5012

Here is the link to download the latest version (the file that contains the plugin is called "foo_vis_vumeter_2013-02-16.zip"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6yNdh9XmSWKX1lJQ0ZFOWdJTlU/edit?usp= sharing

On that same page you will find several skins to personalize the VU meter. I am currently using this: http://foobar2000.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51204#p51204

24. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

@marchetti87 : Thanks for the links, very helpful and much appreciated.
    I did some searching, and came to the conclusion that it must be this very thing from this very Russian resource, but couldn't for the life of me find the current download, or work my way through Google's hamfisted translation, and re-organisation of all the blocks or words.

I have the Klanghelm VUMT VST plugin (a great simple VU plugin for very little money), and I can now have a compare between the two and see how this fb2k component stacks up. If they correlate very closely, I can then use another VST plugin, via George Yohng's VST wrapper.

I'll get to installing and configuring,
    Cheers!

25. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Quick question (to save me searching), what is the 0dB VU set to? I'm playing Sade Smooth Operator (Diamond Life CDEPC26044) and that clocks in as fairly low RMS (-20 ish), but all the meters so far seems to be bouncing right up to 0dB (and over). That doesn't seem right to me, something isn't calibrated. VUMT (when set to -19) has the needles bouncing around 0dB.

*Edit:
    Found it! It's in the preferences. By default the pre-amp is set to a whopping +20dB! I've set it to -23dB and I now have a rough VU/Loudness correlation. I'll likely set it to -18dB for just tweak about.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.