My laserdisc player still works great!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DEG, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

I have been revisiting my smallish laserdisc collection. The picture is still beautiful, as is the sound. If only I could find the owners manual...Pioneer PLD-509.

Anyone else still have one and use it?

DEG

Peter Pyle likes this.
  2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I have a CLD-something(79?) and it still works just fine but I no longer use it. In fact, I think it's a better-sounding CD player than the Pioneer DV45A multi-player that replaced it and equal to the Marantz UD5005 I use now. All my discs play though some have heavy chroma noise.

3. Mazel tov !

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have a half-dozen LD players that work if you count my MagnaVision toploader.
    HLD-X9, LD-S9, CLD-99, CLD-59, Denon LA-3500 (Panasonic LX-900 clone)

5. Rachael Bee

The 1995 Pioneer Elite models, CLD's 99, 79, and 59 are great CD players. If you have a problem disc, possibly a CD-R, that's confounding other players, LD players have a better chance of playing it. I think they're over spec'ed for the job. When LD players were on sale back in '97, I bought a CLD-59 to use as a CD player. What else that cost $399 could beat it! Plus, I have LD's galore around.....

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yep, I have an old Pioneer player, hooked up, and have some great shows that can't be had on vhs or dvd. Love it.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My Pioneer still works great, but I only dig it out once every couple of years for "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" or "Song of the South." I'm guessing it's had 6 or 7 hours of use in the last 10 years.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What TV do you use, and what type of interconnect? :)

9. moops

moops Senior Member

My single biggest regret and waste of time and money on a Hi-Fi related product.
    My friends still laugh themselves silly when they talk about it.

I had a Pioneer player ..... in Australia I was paying up to $100.00 for an imported movie back in the '90s.
    I originally paid close to $1000.00 for the player, it ended up having problems ....... some guy bought it for $50.00 ......... and he still tried to knock me down on the price.
    I eventually sold the small amount of discs I had for about $10 - $20 each.
    Could not wait for anything Laserdisc related to be gone from my life for good.

My only other regret is not smashing the sh_t out of that thing with a hammer.

So ...... I'm happy for you, but no, never, ever again.

10. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I feel the same when folk get misty eyed about VHS.

moops likes this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have an LD player, a Yamaha unit I bought used from a former boss. It works, some of the discs do not. I can't get excited about video quality, but the audio is good and there is some cool stuff in my collection not on DVD/Blu-Ray. Yes, there are some Beatles related titles:D Disney did some wonderful boxed sets with some excellent audio material like radio broadcasts with Walt. I enjoyed my LD player, my only disappointment is that some of the discs won't play (Ringo's first All Star disc with Dr. John, Billy Preston, Levon Helm, et al.)

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My Sony is still playing my laserdiscs, primarily the Stones documentary, the Compleat Beatles, Beatles at Budokan (on Apple! ) and the Knack at Carnegie Hall. Long may it run!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. Rachael Bee

:agree: Me too. What really made me hate VHS were all the deee-luxe, plastic, transport parts that broke in all those Panasonic and JVC S-VHS decks I had. I never had a decent, reliable, VCR till I got a Panasonic AG-1980, industrial S-VHS deck. I had several JVC's that I wanted to throw in the Tennessee River... :cussing:

LD was so-ooo much reliable than VHS for me. Moops probably got sold a $300 LD player for a thousand....? Pioneer made some really flimsy players along the lines of the CLD's S980 & S990 and pawned 'em off or cloned them out to RCA, Realistic, and others, all over. The CLD-S980/990 has a laser pick-up with very few adjustments. All the laser aim that's off-target cannot necessarily be fixed. I got my parents a 980 and they ended up giving it away to a friend to use as a CD player. It would refuse to read about 10-20 % of the laser sides that came along.

moops and Millington like this.
  14. Rachael Bee

You have a Pieauhnear.... ;) Yamaha got all their players from Pioneer. If you're lucky, you might have one of their latter models based on the CLD-D704 or Elite CLD-59. Those were their two best models.

forthlin likes this.
  15. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Have a late-80s Sony "MDP" player that is on a shelf, out of circulation. It still played the last time I tried it, about eight years ago, but I never got my money's worth out of it. My disc collection was never large but is still kicking around the house somewhere:

Help!
    Full Metal Jacket
    Singin' In The Rain
    And two Pink Floyd titles: Live at Pompeii and TheDelicate Sound of Thunder

16. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I've just had a neighbour's player serviced to get it going again (mine's not worth repairing though it only stopped working in the past year) just so I can transfer a number of discs that have never seen the light of day on DVD/Blu-Ray release onto a digital format while I still can. The quality at the time was a revelation compared to VHS but in most cases doesn't hold a candle to what can be done on DVD or Blu-Ray.

I was in the same boat as you. I think my player was close to AUD $1,500.00 in January 1994 and the number of locally available titles was next to non-existent. The few stores in Melbourne that were importing discs to sell (predominantly from the USA) were constantly being raided and shut down by the authorities for breaches of copyright and the cost of those discs on the whole was horrendous. Pretty much every disc I have is a US import (not that I have a lot). Unlike you however, I was grateful for laserdisc as it did offer titles in a superior format to what was commonly available (VHS). And since a number of those titles have yet to be released into a digital format, this is still the best quality it is available in.

moops and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I feel exactly like this about the DAT machines I used to have.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There used to be a furniture shop in High St Northcote that devoted half their floor space to Laser Discs. I'm pretty sure it was called Laser Land. I bet they had a real sound business plan before going into that venture :p

19. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I still have my Theta Data II. It was my only CD transport and my main music source until I went The Squeezebox Way. I still play movies on it, but only seldomly, and mostly for fun or to be "Period Correct" as I try to tell my girlfriend as she rolls her eyes.

20. moops

moops Senior Member

Thankfully I never went down the DAT road. I feel your pain. Come to think of it, getting just $50 for that thing only made it more painful really. I know it's still out there, somewhere, mocking me ........ I'd gladly pay someone $50 for just 5 mins with that piece of sh-t again.

21. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

My favorites are the first three Star Wars box set, a Richard Pryor comedy, and the Freddy Mercury tribute concert thing. Awesomeness!

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's 6 or 7 hours more than mine's gotten since 2000 or so! :help:

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My CLD-97 has been mighty enjoyable, but it will soon be headed out for repair.

Depending on the repair estimate, I might request a buy offer, and just cut it loose. Really don't watch movies anymore to speak of. And while it was a superior CD player as noted above, this place is littered with newer DACs that pretty much obviate the 97 for music.

Not sure what I would do with the LDs themselves. Too heavy to ship.

Might be the end of the road here.

24. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

PLD-509 is surely not the Laser Disc player? Here's a list of Pioneer Laser Disc players:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm

25. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have two players that still work fine. I keep them around to play a bunch of music LDs I have that were never released on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.