My laserdisc player still works great!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DEG, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can someone recommend a "video card" I could get for my Dell desktop that I could use to record my laser discs? Thanks. :)

2. Gary910

Gary910 Master Record Listener

My Pioneer CLD 1070 is still hooked up, but I have fired it up in many years. I would think it still works, I might have to try now.

I should be ready to be disappointed though.

I have a disc or two that has suffered 'rot'.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Does your computer have a FireWire 1394 connection?

If it does I suggest the ADVC 100 or 110 units to capture the video and input through the 1394 cable connection. These boxes are tried and true for this purpose.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My LaserDisc/DVD combo unit, a Pioneer DVL-909 just recently quit working. One day, a few weeks ago, I went to play something on it and there was no power at all. Nothing. Checked all the power cables, outlets, etc., and it seems to be kaputt. I'm guessing it could be an internal power supply, but I'm not the type to attempt a do-it-yourself repair.

I swapped it out for an inactive Sony we had sitting around. I'd bought it in the waning days of LD players at a Sony outlet in Lancaster, PA. It's a dual-sided machine that still works, but it always had a fairly "mushy" picture about it. It's even "mushier" in the HDTV age.

I should investigate getting the Pioneer repaired, but around here I wouldn't know where to begin. I guess an Internet search would be the place to start.

Harry

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They run about $100 to $119 on the used market. They were $279 new. People are selling them off now - those that have completed their digital drops from VHS and LD. Great capture devices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canopus-ADV...600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e908cb5f0

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thank you so much! :) There are 383 listings on B&H under video "analog & digital" converters and that is way too many for me to deal with. I do indeed have a FireWire 1394 connection.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then you should just take the easy high quality route, and get an ADVC 100 or 110 used. The brand is Canopus. Make sure the one you buy is complete with power adapter. It would be nice if it had the FW cable and manual with it too. (note, never connect these units up with power on and computer on, everything OFF)

bluemooze likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I liked my ADVC 100 so much that I sprang (years ago) for the much higher priced 500 model which can accept more types of video decks with component, composite, & s-video inputs, and manual audio level control, and software disc for picture control on capture. But the 500 has the exact same picture quality as the 100 model, just more inputs/features.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canopus-ADVC-500-Analog-to-Digital-DV-Video-Converter-ADVC500-/171342361999

bluemooze likes this.
  9. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

I don't think this is correct, maybe a little. There selling off these devices because there are alternative devices/methods that are much better. As I told you before, capturing in the DV codec is not ideal. Compression on compression at a later point has it's issues.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well... you should perhaps post links to your favorite tried and true devices (with sale prices) with your workflow, maybe leave my suggestions alone as is. Good idea?

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Given the description, it might be as simple as a blown fuse. Easy to scope yourself, or have fixed locally. (I'd never be that lucky.)

Otherwise...

The best bet is someone with access to parts, and no one has that better than Duncan at Laserdisc Service: http://www.laserdiscservice.com/

Though I'd acknowledge that my player has to go back after a repair there from 3 years ago, I'd recommend him. You'll find him professional and fair-minded. It isn't cheap; this format is near dead, and he's the only pro option standing that I know of.

Shipping will kill you too. Duncan is in Washington state. LDs are big.

There may be smaller, nimble, cheaper 'little guys' out there, but I dunno where.

You might try to contact Kurtis Bahr via the AVS forum. He's retired now, but operated a repair service similar to Duncan's, but on the east coast. He was helpful and informative when I asked for advice. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/148-blu-ray-hd-dvd/?daysprune=30

Good luck.

12. ElvisCaprice

bluemooze likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One of the many nice things about the ADVC 100 unit is that there are no drivers to install, no possible hardware or software conflicts. When you turn it on - your computer will have a pop up screen in windows that says DV / Camera device is detected, would you like to capture video with any of these programs?

Mine has Sony Vegas on the list, and I capture with that. All computers recognize the ADVC units as DV player/cameras. So it's nice to not have to install drivers and all that. It just works.

videohelp.com is a really great forum for seeking out info and tips on the process.

bluemooze and ElvisCaprice like this.
  14. ElvisCaprice

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.