My little Rogers LS3/5A BBC monitors surprised me again today..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My kids went to see FROZEN today and I passed, stayed home, got bored and wanted to play with my gear that mostly sits around. So, I pulled out my trusty 1961 unmodded McIntosh MC30 monoblocks and my dinky Rogers BBC monitors that I got from Kevin Hayes of VAC. I had never tried them before together. Went to my main listening room (the big bedroom) and I put each monitor on the top of each of my Venture speakers. Had no other choice and I thought it was a bad idea (way too high in the air and far apart for such little guys in such a big room) but boy, was I WRONG.

So they are about 6' 2" off the ground, way, way above ear level. I used my Modwright digital into my buddy's CAT "Ultimate" preamp (with Telefunken E88CC's) and into the little Mac 30's (with first position Telefunken, second position Mullard, third RCA, fourth Yugo EI driver tube, power tubes GE 6L6GC). Expecting nothing I just wanted to use the amps, exercise them, if you will. About 38 watts from the 8 ohm tap into LS3/5a's is not very much juice so I wasn't expecting any dynamic drive.

Well, surprise. It sounded amazing. Not like my big Ventures and the Tenor Audio 350m's but impressive anyway.

The soundstage was truly amazing, side to side and front to back. The depth was truly 3-D and the midband was intact (helped by the amazing mids of the Mac) and even the bass sounded full and rich.

I've been playing this impromptu system all day and no matter what I throw at it, it never sounds anything less than bitchin' (as long as you don't crank it too loud).

Once again I'm impressed by these little BBC monitors. I give them a thumbs up for musical goodness! These are speakers that YOU can afford (under 2k). They might be the answer for some of you.. rogers.jpg VAC one photo 1.JPG

2. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Great little speakers.

You have some nice stuff to feed them with too, this helps :)

3. The pair I saw here a while back were $2k.

Outta my league.

4. Steve Hoffman

The LS3/5A's sounded great with my old $500.00 Fisher 500C receiver as well. (See previous thread).

Ortofun likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

$2,000.00 for a stereo pair of reference monitors is not a lot of money. If you listen every day in bliss for even just 2 hours over the next 10 years.... Well, it's not much.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Compared to a lot of hifi gear, $2k is not outrageous for speakers, but it's still a lot more than I can afford, at least right now. I'd sure love to hear those Rogers speakers though, they're the perfect size for my 9 x 12 room.

Who's making LS3/5a's for $2k these days? Stirling?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

The Fisher 500C is one of those nice things :righton:

8. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

You can get the Spendor S3/5R2 for $1,500 CAN.

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

2K is silly money for LS3/5a s
    KEF LS50s will give them a run for money and AVI actives will trounce them.
    Small cabs always image well, drivers are now so much better, crossovers always distort something, active is now very do able .

marantzbe likes this.
  10. action pact

Time to save my money.

Those are on my short list too! Too bad they're so weird looking.

rxonmymind and raferx like this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I thought the Tenor hybrids were the amps you used with the big Ventures and not the VAC amps.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I always love the Rogers LS3/5a. I remember the first time I ever heard a "soundstage" falling in space behind a disappearing set of speakers was demoing a set of 'em in the mid 1980s. Wish I had those speakers today, especially considering how pricey they've gotten.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

This may be a dumb question but ......... Is there any real dramas in stacking small speakers on big floorstanders if you're never going to run both pairs at the same time anyway ?

14. action pact

I wouldn't recommend stacking speakers on top of what is essentially a hollow box. A mass-heavy stand is best.

moops likes this.
  15. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I have Chartwell LS3/5a's from back in the late 70's that I'm using as rear surround speakers. Maybe I should move them to the front for awhile....

16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

IMG_20131216_230632.jpg I hope my little Chinese "Ho's" sound good when I bring them home to the US.

Ho's are BBC3/5a clones :D I doubt they will compete but they are decent speakers, for the price I paid. Probably missing that magic mid-range quality. I want to hear them on my Fisher 400.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Why to you feel this was a non-issue with these speakers? Do you think the performance would have improved at the proper height? I ask because the woofers on my speakers are firing upwards, above ear level.

18. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

I love the tonality and spaciousness of 3/5a but could never get along with the squashed dynamics.
    All relative of course. If you like this sound, investigate the larger Rogers Export monitor, Studio 1, Spendor BC1, SP1 and some of the older Harbeth models.
    Similar tonality and expansive presentation but less 'sat on' dynamically.

The price on the vintage 3/5 is crazy.
    They were actually pretty cheap back in the day and have been driven up by the current cult status. The Jim Rogers JR149 makes a nice alternative using the same drivers and BBC inspired crossover for about 1/3 the price.

Be aware that the design changed a lot through production despite the strict BBC blueprint.
    The Kef bass driver in particular changed quite a lot and the design was adopted accordingly, though often there was some lag so plenty of examples exist where the crossover isn't accounting for the changed driver characteristics. Most notably this is peaking around 1khz which gives a nasal character to the sound. So select vintage examples carefully.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    The Good Guy, Shiver, KT88 and 2 others like this.
  19. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

The LS3/5a, now there's a blast from the past. My late uncle had a pair of the original 15ohm speakers with their Maida Vale studio tags still on them bought from a BBC equipment sale in the early 80's. In his system he switched between these and a pair of Quad ESL's with a Radford STA15 Amplifier. Even 30 years later I've heard precious little equipment that can come close to that mid-range. I only wish I still had them. :cry:

20. Steve Hoffman

I don't know, I can't get them at the proper height in here to tell you. It just sounds like old Nat Cole is standing right in front of me, dude-height. Didn't expect that, I expected a little boxy speaker sound but it sure didn't work out that way.

jupiterboy likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Tenor Audio 350 monoblocks are in use in my mastering room right now per client request. Soon to be back in the big room.

22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I'll probably have my forum membership revoked for saying so :hide: , but I always have my speakers significantly above or below ear level angled slightly down or up, respectively; they just sound way, way better that way to my weirdo brain (although I'm sure the soundstage/imaging thing is probably awful, but that's OK because the whole room is an acoustic disaster anyhow). This is why Gallo floor speakers are so likable -- they don't shoot sound directly into your face but waft it toward you. Seems to mimic amphitheater seating to have music aimed up, and most rock venues have overhead speakers pointing down.

I haven't heard any super-spendy ultra-hi-fi speakers, so they are probably much more pleasant at recommended height, but all the ones I have heard make me actively miserable if they're ear-level because they vibrate my sinuses or jangle my facial nerves or something. As I get older, high frequencies especially are more pleasant if they float down onto me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WHAT?! My head just exploded. Chartwell LS2/5a are my dream speaker and you're using them as rear surround speakers! SACRILEGE!!!!! Sell me those speakers immediately and I will coo and cuddle with them as my mains forever! I need to go have a drink. I'll trade you a Fisher 500b and two Technics Sl-1700mk2 and throw in a Marantz receiver for good measure!

Drifter and Erik A. flickinger like this.
  24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

As I mentioned, the mid/woofer on mine is aimed up, and the speakers sound very pedestrian if you toe them in so the tweeters are aimed straight at the sweet spot.

Someone else was fondly remembering a set of speakers with the best imaging response that were designed with a bunch of tweeters fining in all directions.

I guess in a live performance one is rarely in a sweet spot, getting second and third hand sound that is bounced off of anything in the room.

25. Steve Hoffman

I'm used to being in studios where the playback monitors are usually way up in the front wall so I'm used to that sound. Never heard something so dinky and so high work well is what I'm saying!

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.