My Man Cave Vintage Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought a harman/kardon PM-655 + TU-915 integrated amp/tuner combo from a guy who re-capped both. They sound wonderful. Some beat up Infinity Qb speakers that I need to recap the crossovers someday, Onkyo C-7030 cd player and a Pioneer PL-10 turntable with Realistic/Shure cartridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Nothin' but fun! Are you Telemike from the TDPRI?

3. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Nice system! I owned a PL-10 for many years that I bought new in 1975. I really loved that turntable.

4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Nice setup - I'll bet it sounds great. Re-capping those vintage pieces really opens them up - it's amazing they can sound decent, let alone work at all, with those 30-40 year-old components, but a refurbishment is well worth the $$$ if you can find a local tech who knows what they're doing.

5. telemike

Yup

6. Kingof punk1977

Kingof punk1977 Well-Known Member

I bet it sounds superb but is your amp getting enough ventalation?

7. telemike

I have bench cookie spacers

8. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

This could be a good thread. Here's my office system -- HK 330C, Sanyo Cassette, HK T-55C with Val Alstine mods, EPI 70s bought new and since refoamed.

[​IMG]

9. Jim in Houston

Those are pretty cool!

10. telemike

I may get hockey pucks at some point

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Nice systems! I'll have to take a pic of the vintage system I set up that took over my work bench.

12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Bet that system sounds nice. I used to have an HK A-405 I think it was, in the '70s. It was a wonderful, very musical sounding integrated. HK mades lots of nice stuff in the '70s and through the early '80s I think, then the slide began.
    My friends and I all bought similar systems in the '70s -- the HK A-405, AR-14s, AR turntable. Kept mine till 1989 and when I sold it, the guy I sold it to said it was the best sounding stereo he'd heard. One of my friends still has his A-405 -- 37 years later and it still sounds good.

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Very cool little system. I use an older HK amp in the bedroom. I recapped and did some rewiring inside the amp and will probably use it as long as I can hear.
    My first real stereo setup back in 71 was anchored by a HK-330A. I was in heaven.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I still love my old HK Receiver.

It has something that just makes it listenable.

Other than a very thorough cleaning, inside and out, I have not re-capped it yet.

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have a PL-15D, the semi-auto version, in a secondary system. It sounds a lot better than one would expect!

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That HK stuff is great. Great design and nicely made inside. If all is running well, they are fantastic pieces.

17. gojira

gojira Active Member

Diggin the systems guys......great job. I love looking at this stuff.....that HK amplifiers on both systems look pristine. Makes me want to put together a nice vintage system for myself.

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I bought a similar H/K low profile integrated amplifier, tuner and cassette deck for $700 in my sophomore year of high school circa 1981. Even with crappy speakers I was officially corrupted by high current amplification. A year later came a pmount Technics TT and I was down the rabbit hole. Thanks for taking me back.

kevintomb likes this.
  19. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Those orange feet spoil the appearance of your vintage gear, like wearing orange trainers with a suit. I presume they are not there in the main picture.

20. Currently restoring a pair of The Advent Loudspeakers, circa 1971--my dad's, rescued from his office basement. Here are the before pictures. Yech! I'll post the after when finished.

Drats! The mobile version of the website is not letting me upload files. It used to, but now I can only insert image URL's. I'll post the pics later.

21. telemike

One of these days I'll get some black hockey pucks

22. Jim in Houston

I think the orange & matte silver is a cool combo.

23. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Taste. Some have it and......:)

24. Jim in Houston

Grrrrrr... :laugh:

25. telemike

Just picked up a Record Doctor UII RCM off eBay :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.