My McIntosh C33 is here!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Nino-Hernes, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member Thread Starter

Well, the day and hour finally arived. The McIntosh C33 preamp now resides in my system!!!!

This has to be the best sounding (or not sounding :D ) preamp I have ever heard. It is so incredibly transparent. Whatever is on the recording is what is reproduced. I am still recovering from the RCA Living Stereo Pictures at an Exhibition. That was a bad first disc to play, as I could have died from a heart attack! :D I also spun some vinyl. I played Dire Straits- Love Over Gold. OMG!!! It was amazing, I heard things that I have never heard before. The sound of that record is so engaging. The phono stage is also deadly silent, no hum or hiss. Right now as I type, I am playing this http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13309 It is so amazing! It blows the SACD away. Dead quiet vinyl. The dynamic range is incredible!

Recently, I had a chance to listen to the new McIntosh equivalent to the C33, which is the C46. It beats the C33 only marginally. The only differences are, it uses electromagnetic gas switches, instead of the C33's FET switches. And the C46 has 8 bands of EQ instead of 5. The C33 retailed for $3000 in 1985. The C46 retails for about $5000 today.

When you hear how much I paid for the C33, you will die. I only paid $800 for it! It is absolutely mint. The reason I got it so cheap, is the guy selling it on Ebay spelled the model wrong. He put MC33. There is no such thing as an "MC33".

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Those Speakers Corner Mercurys are great!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Excellent. Enjoy the Mac.

4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Congratulations Joe. Have an Eico you're no longer usin'? :)

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Its in my Fathers system now. It works very well in his system, his Adcom amp is kinda harsh, and the Eico really helps it out.

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Great news, nino!!! Enjoy.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Picture? :)

9. Joe Nino-Hernes

I don't have a digital camera, so here is a picture of the C33 that I found.

[​IMG]

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Looks nice - good luck! No tubes in it though, right?

11. Joe Nino-Hernes

Correct, it is solid state. However, it is incredibly transparent. I have never heard solid state sound this good.

12. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I think it must have tubes, but hidden somewhere!..lol

NIce find, and enjoy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.