My MFSL Pink Floyd CD doesn't work on random...how come?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cleandan, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleandan

cleandan Senior Member Thread Starter

Every Friday I have "CD friday" in the warehouse. Today one of the CD's is my MFSL Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I am playing this on an older Yamaha, CDC-555 five disc player that has worked perfectly for a long time. All the CD's are clean and scratch free and I am having no problems with any other cd, nor have I had any problems with the MFSL in single play mode. This is only happening in random mode with this one CD. The Floyd songs play for a while then skip. They are not getting "stuck" and they are not "searching". The player just goes into the random mode and finds another song as if it thinks the song is over. So far I have only heard one Floyd song in full today. What might be making this skip in the random mode only? Thanks for the help.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

UD1 or UD2?
    I will check it out but I wanted to cut my work in half.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Dark Side is a "funny" one to put on "random" as a lot of songs segue into the next.

Are you sure it's not a segue problem? Just checking....

4. cleandan

cleandan Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, the segue issue has come up with other CD's while on random. With all the "run together" songs on this Floyd CD I expected it to just get stuck on this CD for a while in random mode. This is not playing like a segue issue though. The songs just cut out and go into random search in the middle of the song.
    For Kayaker, this is a UD2 (UDCD 517) UltradiscII.

5. michael w

michael w New Member

Normally seguing is not a problem if the CD has all the index points in the right place; ie. at the beginning of each song.

When you put your player in random mode it should seek out the start of each track by locating the index marker and play it through until the next marker.

It would appear the MoFi CD has not been indexed properly.

cheers

6. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

The problem is simply that the player is dirty. A warehouse environment is horrible for optical and computer equipment.

If the machine is out of warranty, open up the system and clean it with canned air. THEN, take a cotton swab with 90% or better rubbing alcohol and gently, gently clean and dry the lense.

I bet your problem will disappear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.