My music collection keeps growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Welly Wu, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I have about 5500 cds, 500 lps, about 100 cassettes, about 40 music dvds, I have been collecting them for about 5 years now so far. Not sure how many tracks that is but a lot.
    I mostly purchase them used off ebay or amazon, many of the cds come from people selling their collections off in bulk lots on ebay, I often get many awesome bargains on them. I have uploaded many of them to my computer to put on my Ipod but I wouldn't actually purchase a digital file unless the price was really cheap like say $2 per album or something. Style wise it is extremely eclectic, there's krautrock, ambient techno, jazz, hip hop, harsh noise, folk, post-punk, modern classical, pop, death metal, blues, highlife, EAI, and many others.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Estimate 7k pieces

3. bt1098

bt1098 Forum Resident

Abut 1000 Cds and 1000 Lps. Another 300 Gb of digital stuff. I would like to reduce the # of discs by half if I could, as I will never listen to many of them ever again.

4. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Can I borrow everyone's Cds and Lps?

5. DirkMcQ

DirkMcQ Forum Resident

I have no idea how many cds, lps, 45s, mp3s, flacs, cassettes I have. I will listen to any format.
    Room for it all, including hard drive space, is an issue.
    I know where most of it is, but sometimes panic when I can't find the music I'm looking for.
    Once or twice I've purchased music I already own, forgetting that I have it.

6. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Being a collector of CDs since 2006 (with an increasing interest from 2008 and so on), I now own over 1000. Not a big collection, but it has grown a lot since I first started and it will continue to do so. Mostly recordings of progressive rock, krautrock, avant garde, jazz, soul and funk, centered around the 50's-70's.

7. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

I now have 1945 CD albums. I've been buying a lot of music recently.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  8. Welly Wu

I just figured out a much more accurate way to count my albums using J River Media Center. I have 1,819 albums now with another 500 coming in the next several weeks or more.

9. Welly Wu

Woohoo! I now have 2,351 albums! J River Media Center is pretty good about counting up my albums. Almost all of them are MP3s with very few AAC files.

10. Welly Wu

Artists: 2,243
    Albums: 3,047
    Capacity: 366.0 GB

11. Chordeater

Chordeater Forum Resident

It's surprising you only have 1 or 2 albums per artist, when I'm sure most of the members here have a lot of albums of a lot of artists. I suppose you mainly like variety ... which it sounds good to me, of course.

12. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

My music library consists of 11410 CDs (including 205 SACDs), featuring the total of 156915 tracks by 2045 artists. I have also got 797 LPs in storage; however, only 84 of these titles (811 tracks) are not included in my CD collection. The amount of digital audio files is negligible in my collection. I only resort to those if a CD/SACD is not an option, but most of the time I just ignore them and go on happily as if these releases didn't exist at all. My collection is my favourite music. Most of it is crap, of course - in the eyes of other people, that is: prog crap, jazz crap, folk crap, punk crap, pronk crap, 60's crap, 70's crap etc., but it's my crap and I love it.

13. Welly Wu

Genres: 208
    Artists: 2,267
    Albums: 3,194
    Capacity: 385.0 GB

I have a pretty small private music library. Most are MP3s. I have no loss less audio files. Thanks.

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

If you stop feeding it, it won't grow anymore.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

But I've read your posts about listening to high-res files. Do those not count as lossless (one word?)

16. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I have something like 15k tracks in iTunes. I don't mind a big digital collection, but a big physical collection is a big no no. I have something like 150 LPs I think. I'm very specific about what I choose to buy and often sell the records I don't really listen to anymore, even if they're good.

Seeing pictures of massive collections simply makes me claustrophobic. They're mostly just an obsessive compulsion and a waste of space seeing as most of huge collections will rarely actually be played.

17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Once again the physical minimalist propanda pushers strike !

CowboyBob and Vern like this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You're assuming that people regularly limit themselves to just playing the same few albums over and over again - that's not everyone's MO. Having a larger collection doesn't necessarily mean that everything doesn't get a fair rotation.

NapalmBrain and soundfanz like this.
  19. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've bought and sold huge LP and CD collections over the last 30-40 years, and currently have about 350 LP's, somewhere around 3500 singles, and about 18,000 digital files (about 90% are AIFF or ALAC), all CD or LP rips. No digital downloads at all, and no CD's.

The music runs the gamut from classic jazz to rock 'n' roll to R&B to reggae to blues to classical to .........

20. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I have two Mrs. Miller albums, a Tiny Tim CD, and an old 78 of some dude doing bird calls on a violin.

21. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Even if that's the case, I still don't like having that much stuff! Having had a big cd collection some years ago, which I've completely sold off and haven't looked back since, I'm much better off with fewer possessions. With a big physical collection there is always that drive to just accumulate more and more and that is something I'm just not into. Psychologically and emotionally I'm in a better place being selective and sensible about my physical collection.

milankey likes this.
  22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

about 400 records and 1100 CD's/ SACD's.
    Rock, folk, blues, jazz, classical, bluegrass, world music.

23. Welly Wu

Yeah. I still got 45 high resolution albums, but I backed them up to a separate portable hard disk drive. I don't listen to them unless I'm auditioning or reviewing a new audio component.

In comparison to some other people here and world wide, I have a pretty small music library. My music library costs more than all of my audio components. I try to retain a 50 - 55 percent ratio between the music and audio components. In reality, I spend up to 66 percent on music and the rest is on audio components.

MP3 has been a small miracle for me. Loss less music albums are too big for my 1 TB internal hard disk drive. I'd rather dedicate a separate portable hard disk drive to store high resolution loss less music albums and plug it in when I need to do some critical listening. MP3s do the job just fine for me.

My goal is to reach 3,500.00 music albums in a few weeks from today. Thereafter, I think that I should be able to store 5,000.00 music albums on my 1 TB internal hard disk drive without too much of an issue. Once I reach that milestone, I think that I'll have a decent private music library.

I'm a music omnivore so I have no specific tastes for a particular music genre, band, or artist. Variety is more important to me than collecting all of the music albums of a particular artist. I find myself listening to the older music than the new music. I try to read Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and Tone Audio to get new ideas for music collection.

I can buy a 256 kbps MP3 music album for $5.00 USD or less. High resolution music albums can cost up to $45.00 USD. Both are worth their prices, but I have to be pickier when it comes to high resolution music albums simply due to the much higher costs.

24. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

Probably up to about 3.000 cds now. And here's the problem-I don't buy one cd at a time I feel like it's a waste of time. So if I buy any it's usually a stack.

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Those spinning discs are fun - both the shiny ones and the big black liquorice ones

Matt Starr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.