My music collection keeps growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Welly Wu, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I've lost track, I am guessing 6000 CDs and 6000 LPs, takes up a lot of room, very rough estimate (and very mixed types of music, jazz, classical, rock, the number of Christmas CDs I have is embarrassing ).
    I buy a lot of my records at Half Price books, and have found some strange things over the years, love the old Hanna Barbera kids records, some of them are hysterical, lots of classical (tons of Bach), a lot of piano music (Bach and Brahms).
    It isn't organized right now (I have my Frank Zappa CDs all together, does that count). I have about six feet of Elvis CDs and also love reggae from around 1960 to 1973ish...
    I have some SACDs and a DVD-A(s) as well. I love surround sound, and when I first got out on my own, all I wanted was a good surround sound system to watch movies with, but they didn't make one, at least a consumer level one, yet.
    On the computer I have MP3s, and have never made the jump to flac, because I can't record them to MP3s and listen to them in my car (yet). On MP3 I have a ton of Bob and Ray. and also a lot of Old Time Radio (Dimension X, X minus One, Columbia Workshop, Hall of Fantasy)... great stuff

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Totally skipped vinyl even though I kept some singles and albuns
    About 2000 cd-s in all kind of genres
    Buy less and less physical products-stick to box sets.
    It s a buyers market now- but I guess it s the last breath of physical music

3. Probably got about 1500 CD's, about 200gb of digital files, also two ipods, one 60gb, one 160gb both full, 100-110 vinyl (not counted but around that number)

Thing is I keep on buying too, I got paid on Tuesday and what did I do - go into town and ended up with 16 more albums having gone to HMV, That's Entertainment and Vinyl Exchange, then yesterday I finished work early just so I could go back to HMV and pick up 6 more albums I didn't get on Tuesday, dangerous addiction this haha.

4. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

I have approx. 18.000 lp's, 10.000+ cd's and 3500+ 7"es. And new stuff arrives every week.

The only downloads I have are on my laptop and are for reviewing purposes only. They are supplied to me by record companies. Once I'm done, they are gone.

CowboyBob likes this.

5. You sir are my hero, I am overtly jealous of your collection

6. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Man, some of you guys are obsessive! You know how many LPs, CDs, songs etc that you have...I can't really say how many I have.

Beyond a certain point, a music 'collection' is really just another collection just like stamps or baseball cards. You collect for the sake of collecting or completion, and it's not for listening any more.

Not something I want to do.

Music Geek likes this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

2037 lps,
    111 CDs,
    31 dvda/sacds,
    17 10"/12" EPs,
    18 7" singles,
    8 CD singles.

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Do you listen to everything

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

In the old days it made sense owning lot s of albums. Even though I posess lot s of cd.s Im not sure anymorr. It s more about collecting than actually listen. Wont sell my collectipn anywsy but try not to get so much more

10. Robert Haagsma

I try. And I intend to live a healthy life including good hearing for another 100 years.
    But seriously: I've heard most stuff - not everything. Since I am working as a full time journalist, I also use my collection as an archive.

zebop likes this.
  11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

My collection once turned into FLAC files takes about 1.4 TB of storage. I turn everything into FLAC, including 5.1 BluRay and DVD-A discs.

12. Robert Haagsma

How would you know that?

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Speaking for myself, there is no way I could ever listen to everything I have in my lifetime. I buy, knowing that what I just bought- likely will get either 1 listen or as of late- no listen at all. So, In reality I'm buying for the sake of collecting as the example given by the op- stamps- cards etc.

old school likes this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My library is sourced primarily from my CDs with about 7% being purchased high resolution downloads. About 25% are sourced from audiophile releases by MFSL, DCC, Audio Fidelity, or XRCD versions. The 1800+ albums comprise about 21,000+ songs.

I have listened to everything in my library at least once except for the most recent adds in the past 30 days which reside in a Smartlist which I play from everyday. Everynow and then that playlist will be empty for a short while but right now is fairly typical with 7 albums with 27 tracks remaining to be played and it will grow by the two albums and maybe 20 songs that will be added later today. It will contain anywhere from 0 - 150 tracks depending on the frequency of recent purchases.

15. Robert Haagsma

Well, altough I have collected quite some records over the years, I don't necessarily see myself as a record collector. I happen to LOVE a great variety of music. I have audiophile recordings of classical pieces and Norwegian black metal recorded on a shoe string budget. And everything in between. And...there are even areas of which I just scratched the surface, like music from Latin America, Africa and Asia.

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I categorically deny having ever bought a CD just for the sake of collecting or 'completion'. I don't even see myself building a collection, it just sort of accumulates on the side. If it wasn't for listening, I wouldn't want to do it either.

93curr likes this.
  17. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

Artists: 2,379.0
    Albums: 3,766.0
    Music genres: 221.0
    Tracks: 54,170.0 tracks
    Disk capacity: 541.0 GB

99.99999 percent MP3s. Roughly 20,000.0 tracks use Fraunhofer 320 kbps joint stereo MP3s. The rest use LAME 3.99.5 V0 "extreme" joint stereo 240 kbps or 320 kbps CBR joint stereo MP3s.

I hope to reach the 4,000.00 music album milestone in short time. I've been getting lots of MP3 music albums from purchases, family members, relatives, and friends. I see most of them getting rid of their private music libraries and going with Spotify free.

18. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Agree 100000%!!!!!

19. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Most of us buy with the intention of listening (at some point at least) and not for the sake of 'collecting'. BUT the reality is that beyond a certain no. (several thousands?) it is not possible to physically listen to all of it properly. Hence we end up with a music collection that is really just another collection of stuff.

As someone who has thousands of LPs and CDs (and still buying), I do not consider myself immune in any way from the tendency to 'collect' stuff but I do try to be aware of it each time I see something that I 'must' have...

Sheesh, the defensiveness of people on this forum...

20. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member Thread Starter

Correction!

Music genres: 221
    Artists: 2,380
    Albums: 3,836
    Tracks: 50,382
    Data capacity: 529 GB

I am a collector. I don't listen to even 1 percent of my music most of the time. Variety is very important to me. I only collect digital audio files. Most of my music collection consists of LAME or Fraunhofer 320 CBR joint stereo or V0 "extreme" MP3s. I get the same level of musical satisfaction as compared to others that have larger music libraries consisting of loss less and high resolution music albums.

I have 46 music albums totaling 98.0 GB of high resolution loss less music albums stored on a separate portable hard disk drive. I only listen to them when auditioning or testing a new audio product that can handle up to 32 bit 384 kHz DXD or DSD 128 recordings.

It's all about the music. If it sounds good, then it is good! :)

21. A tad contradictory no?

22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

this makes no sense to me. it's a digital file, same as a cd (if you download flac).

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No matter how many times I look through my collection. Reorganize the way it's stored on my shelfs. I still really do not have a clear memory of what's there. Yet I keep buying, storing and reorganizing the collection.

24. old school

old school Senior Member

Same here but I just keep buying. Waiting for another order to arrive today. One I'm excited about is the Nazareth Naz box.

Peter Pyle and reb like this.
  25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Not in my case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.