My new article series on MQA.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

He also was right to question your intellectual ability..since you have ignored countless direct questions, failed to address specific issues with MQA
    that have been shown to be 100% true, and continue to be evasive, over and over and over.

Ambassador likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Like when you threw an entire forum (CA) under a train because they didn't align with your like of MQA?

3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

The market will decide the fate of MQA and it's pretty clear how things will play out. MQA is a format meant for audiophiles but doesn't actually meet any of their needs (that aren't already being met by other formats).

The market share for downloads was eclipsed by physical media this year, and the average streamer doesn't care about sound quality. That leaves audiophiles, who by and large aren't biting. The whole topic seems so pointless in the long run.

ribonucleic likes this.
  4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

5. MLovell

MLovell New Member

There's one thing I have wondered about ever since first seeing the WAMM Chronosonic and reading about its precise time-alignment... what happens if you move your head?

ZenArcher likes this.
  6. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Anonymous posters. LOL. Guess that's supposed to be a slur? Fail.

Anyway, a lot of stuff can be measured. What people hear cannot be measured. What they say they hear can be recorded and discussed.

But, what if what you see is called blue, but what I see is what you would call orange. We see different things but we all agree to call it blue because that is the common agreed to frame of reference. (Wow, dude, pass that over here.)

What can be quantified with regard to explanations of hearing sound is "different." Sometimes. Absent stuff like confirmation bias, coaching, etc.

Whether "different" is "better" or " worse" depends on personal preference, and maybe whether you see blue or orange.

The problem arises when someone tries to extract profit from controlling the perception of different as being better without being able to convincingly demonstrate why or how. Which isn't really possible.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That's no biggie, least of all in fact. But when that's his first reach? Come on...

8. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Precisely.What I wanted to know is there any way to get numbers on exactly how many people are choosing MQA via Tidal? At what point are the majors going to throw the towel in-as they have done with all the other Hirez physical formats?

9. ServingTheMusic

...maybe this will help. Most estimates have Tidal with approx 100K “HiFi” subs..which gets you access to MQA...

..consider the lossy straming services are in the tens of millions.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

...in a world where bandwidth and storage will continue to get cheaper and cheaper.

ribonucleic, Brother_Rael and rischa like this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No, I was being serious.

LeeS likes this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

My guess is that those numbers are confidential. As for throwing in the towel, the history is that happened due to lackluster customer support. The MQA offering is different as it is directed to mass consumers. That may prove to be not enough but I think the scenario is different these days.

The key is for MQA to sign up some of the Big Four streaming services: Amazon, Apple, Google, and Youtube. My guess is that the volume with any of those players would create enough profits for MQA to be around for a long while.

13. tootull

14. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I was in the ieee1394 FireWire camp. John M

15. ServingTheMusic

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That does not look right. Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Google Play Music.

I would have said "the Big Five" and added Tidal

17. ServingTheMusic

??? Tidal has been their main platform for over a year now.

18. LeeS

They have Tidal already. But we could soon add HDMusicStreaming.

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

But what would be their motivation to do so? They'd have to charge a premium for MQA tracks, and I just don't see the average streamer caring enough to pay for them.

20. LeeS

Also, youtube is on that list for a reason.

21. LeeS

Why do you think they would have to pay a premium? That could be negotiated.

22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

How is it targeted to “mass consumers” exactly? So far-4 years in we have a seriously limited amount of pop/rock titles,distributed through one service- Tidal that can’t even post one list that can be accessed by mobile devices,that requires a special DAC to do the full unfold for “hirez” sound.

ribonucleic and rischa like this.
  23. tootull

Thought you'd like that. :laugh:

I'm here keeping music fun. Music is about fun, right? :winkgrin:

ServingTheMusic likes this.
  24. LeeS

Right now, there are over 10K albums which is quite a bit. And Sony is still working on their first slate of albums which will add quite a lot when finished. Might not be too long until we have 50K albums. DVD-Audio was, what, just over a thousand titles? SACD was at 10K with more than half classical?

25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I must be missing something. Why would the big streaming services offer their MQA streams for the same price as their low resolution streams?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.