My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Streaming services ? I need to stay around big cities to get my music ?
    80 % of my driving is done week-ends and i mostly drive to the country where data networks are either weak or non-existent.

Blank Frank likes this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

SiriusXM?

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

What is that ? Not sure it is available in Europe...

Blank Frank likes this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've been getting used to Bluetooth.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think you have Astra in Europe?

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Although I mostly buy digital albums these days, I still greatly prefer CD's in the car. In fact, I'll often burn a CD just for the car. Why? Because playing a CD in the car is painless. You pop it in and leave it there when you get out of the car. When you get back, it picks up right where you left off. Is there a way to do that with a phone or USB stick? If so, please let me know and I won't dread the day I have to get rid of my 8 year old car.

I use an iPod touch for rides longer than 45 minutes, but shorter than that it's a real pain and I just can't be bothered doing it.

John B Good likes this.
  7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That part I like.

8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Muzecast is your friend, unless you have an iPhone.

9. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

My phone connects to my car's Bluetooth as soon as I get in, then the media player automatically launches when it detects that the phone is connected to a Bluetooth device, then it starts playing music from where it left off last time. The only thing I have to do is make sure that Bluetooth on the phone is turned on.

Gaslight and brownie61 like this.
  10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

USB. Flash drives. Only way to fly. And use Sandisk brand whenever possible.

Use a decent compression codec and do some listening tests.

beat_truck likes this.
  11. If it's a new car with Apple Carplay it's easy. And when you get back in your car next time it does pick up where you left off.

Also you can choose one artist and play there sings randomly or your entire playlist. You can have several different playlists.

I've been loading CDs into iTunes and my mac for years. I have several back up drives with friends around the country. Every couple of weeks I change up the music. Usually keep 1500-2000 songs on it each time.

brownie61 likes this.
  12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Download to your phone when on wifi or 'in the city'.

Not my experience. Usually picks up where I left off if I leave iTunes open. I've been very pleased with Apple Music. $15 a month for the entire family.

Gaslight likes this.
  13. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I have a CD player but HATE using it.
    MUCH rather load up a memory stick with 50 albums from my hard drive and have instant access to a lot of stuff.
    Fumbling around with CDs and cases in a moving car is not wise nor does it look attractive!

Grant likes this.
  14. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

The CD player slot is great, useful for putting your iphone holder in it.

Marcev likes this.
  15. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

I have no CD player in my latest car and therefore use Android Auto with Spotify Premium. If going to an area with poor mobile reception I'll download a few playlists at home before setting off.
    The other day I was driving home from work and accidentally activated Google Assistant, not needing any help I replied to it by saying 'oh, nevermind'. All of a sudden 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' starts blasting out and Google proudly announces that it's now playing Nevermind by Nirvana for me!

cdash99 and SamS like this.
  16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

That's a cam belt!

Done A Ton likes this.
  17. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just bought a new 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, with CD player included.... looks like I'll be able to enjoy listening to my CDs in the car for a few more years at least.

Erik Tracy and John B Good like this.
  18. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I just pulled out a system that could play CDs and replaced it with a CarPlay setup. The last time I listened to a CD in the car was when I bought a CD out of town and listened to it on the way home. I will just have to stream it from Apple Music next time.

For me, there are trade offs, but they were considered before I changed out the head unit. I prefer the ability to hit a button on the steering wheel and just asking it to play just about anything that comes to mind. I also like the ability to ask for directions to the closest gas station or for a list of nearby Mexican restaurants. It just fits my needs better than the old system even if there are some trade offs.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This!

In my car, the USB is hidden in the armrest so you can keep a clean look inside your car. Less things, or motivation, for a burglar to steal.

I can play CDs, and the players handle CDs quite gently in GM vehicles, but I rarely ever need to use it.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Au contraire! Messy CDs, worth very little on the used market, means they'd pass on your car. A nice, neat and clean car means there is a hidden music player somewhere that's probably worth more than a small collection of CDs. And the car would have at least $5.00 of change (5 - 6 cars = case of beer)

Go back to CDs! :D

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Okay, I just threw in the beer part. But I do know an area in the country where no one locks their doors because young folks collect beer money from the center console, etc.

22. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Before I switched, I mainly listened to music over Bluetooth. The CarPlay unit I put in has two USBs. One connects to the iPhone through my center console and I had them run the second USB (which works with a thumb drive) and aux cable to the glove compartment. The second USB can handle photos and video (while in park), 24 Bit FLAC files, etc. I rip all of my CDs so both USBs fit my needs better than carrying around a bunch of CDs.

Grant likes this.
  23. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Ha, ha. I have a Jeep so I have locked areas that a common theif would have issues getting into, but I leave the glove compartment and center console unlocked since they are easy to get into when locked.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Why, when I can just rip them, and put them on a USB?

beat_truck and uofmtiger like this.
  25. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Got a 2017.5 Nissan Murano Platinum last week. It has a CD player. My wife's 2016 MiniCooper also has a CD player. I honestly have not played CDs in a while. The Murano is equipped with Apple CarPlay and it's quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.