My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Most computers now don't have a CD/DVD drive.

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

What if you drive a stick shift?

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's precisely why it's illegal. You need a free hand to change gear.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My friend's car cd player quit, and I told him he should get a nice replacement. He said he is fine with streaming with Bluetooth from his phone from now on...

5. ANATEK

ANATEK New Member

We had the same issue with our newer cars. If you wish, many car audio specialty shops can add a 3.5mm jack to your infotainment system, usually hidden in the glove box. The cost is minor and that audio input really comes in handy for non-Bluetooth device players.

rockclassics likes this.
  6. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

So what if you drive an automatic. Why is having one hand off the wheel to smoke a cigarette any more distracting than having one hand off the wheel to change gears?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I did not know that. I don't even look at manufactured computers. I am into building them.

8. Grant

Once you get it done, you'll wonder why you even eschewed the idea. I'm so happy I did it.

9. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I used to do that, but now that it's laptop only it's more difficult.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

First, it's easier to enforce a blanket ban than one that only applies to one type of vehicle. Second, you should have one hand on the steering wheel at all times. The other hand should be free to change gears at any time. Third, I suspect the other good reason is that drivers smoking, drinking, etc. are more likely to take their eyes off the road whilst extinguishing their cigarettes, putting their cup down, etc.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Another lost skill. I suspect most people can't remember the time when people put together their own computers.

12. Tartifless

Changing a gear is part of the driving, it keeps your attention on the driving.
    Having a cigarette or doing something that is not related to driving will generate more distractions and decrease your attention.

Blank Frank and formu_la like this.
  13. Tartifless

It's like bycyling, i still know how to install a processor to a mb and how to apply the thermal paste...
    Maybe i lost my internal cabling organization skills.

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Any comment on gapless USB playback of lossless (FLAC/ALAC/LPCM/DSD) or lossy (MP3/AAC/WMA) audio in diskless car players?..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, but new kids aren't learning these skills. The same applies to DIY/decorating. At least kids are still riding bikes.

16. Grant

I, and many other people, still prefer desktops. They aren't going away anytime soon. Laptops, once they break, you may as well buy a new one. Desktops? You can easily fix them and upgrade.

17. Grant

It's kind of sickening to see expert builders argue on how to apply thermal paste. (I do it old school: I spread a thin layer onto the processor. Some of these newer guys are putting an "x" on them, and that's supposed to spread evenly? Sheesh! Cabling? I confess I am horrible at it.

It sucks! The only thing I have that will play gapless FLAC is Foobar.

18. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I'm thinking of getting a Murano! Do you like it? lol...I assume so otherwise you wouldn't have gotten it. How has it been?

19. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

First the cigarette lighter and now the CD player. Savages

PhantomStranger and Ivand like this.
  20. contium

contium Forum Resident

Use an iPod.

21. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Thumb drive?

Grant likes this.
  22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Just got back from a 10 day road trip.

The CD player was great. My 'co-pilot' managed the CDs, I drove with eyes on the road and we had music the whole way.

Tartifless likes this.
  23. contium

contium Forum Resident

I doubt many head units support gapless playback from a USB drive. When you use an iPod hooked up to a head unit via USB, the iPod should playback gapless as the iPod is actually doing the playing.

24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Are there any that do?..

25. Tartifless

That's exactly what i mean.
    I don't know why but the same with mp3 is just NOT the same experience on roadtrips !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.