My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

What kind of CD's are you finding at Gas Stations ?

WapatoWolf and shaboo like this.
  2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

There are plenty of aftermarket headunits that have CD players and rca aux inputs...if you remotely care about sound quality I don't know why you wouldn't do this anyway

3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

And your eyes are looking at the screen and your brain is choosing a song in a list of thousands : far more dangerous !

Blank Frank, alankin1 and John B Good like this.
  4. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You can download pretty much anything you want anywhere you want any time you want on a phone from one of the many download sites, ie; iTunes, Amazon and such. Really no need to buy a CD at a gas station. CD's are a dying format and eventually will go the way of the (I won't say 8-Track Tape), but at least they will become like Vinyl and Cassettes, a niche product in the grand scheme of things. iPods, MP3 Players, Memory Sticks and especially smart phones are much more the choice for mobile music.

5. Tartifless

Gas stations here in France are standard shops, they have a really big choice in cds, i purchased Leonard Cohen or David Bowie latest albums in a gas station !

6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Most of the newer vehicles will no longer accept aftermarket head units, the manufacturers are no longer using the DIN form factor any more. Example, I have a 2014 Impala which just has a touch screen, no major cavity behind it to install an aftermarket unit. Also many of the cars functions are routed through the factory head unit, such as all the various settings for the vehicle, climate control and it ties in with Canbus data with the vehicles computer system. It is no longer easly separable from the vehicle. Unless the aftermarket starts designing new modules that will interface with factory electronics and the factory screen, aftermarkets days may be numbered as well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Yeah ... I'd rather have this than a CD player (but I can understand the nostalgia). I can put most everything I'd want to listen to on one little 128 GB stick.

beat_truck and Grant like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Time for you to plug in an iPhone or Bluetooth and move into the 21st century! :D P.S. I'll trade you my older CRV Nav system w/CD and the 6 CD changer in the center console....

Once you get past the no CD thing, you will have no regrets.

That DVD slot is for your Nav disc, not to watch movies... (Unless it's aftermarket)

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

Wow, here in the United States most gas stations are not really like that, if you did find a CD at U.S. Gas Station it would probably not be anything worth buying. I live in Michigan and have never really seen CD's at Gas Stations.

10. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Used to work for Honda but left about 3 years ago. Do they offer a SD card slot?

I work for VW now and although they still come with a cd player the percentage of people actually asking or needing them is very small. Most people are happy with the USB/Bluetooth audio/SD card options they come with. I copied loads of tracks onto an SD card and played through that although i mostly use spotify when driving now.

11. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

My 1971 Triumph Herald 13/60 has an SD card player, not that you can hear much in it!

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Well, it wouldn't fit in a Kia Soul. :D

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

14. Tartifless

Don't get me wrong, i have been a real geek. I was one of the first to use Napster back in the days and downloaded thousands of mp3 at a 33k rate internet connection.
    Today i have my own home server with thousands of albums mostly flac and 320k mp3, i stream them using a logitech squeezebox server to my sb, servioo for my home pcs and xbmc when i want them on my tv.
    I like tech and know much about servers, i do that for a living so in no way am i reticent to new tech.

However, as time went by i noticed that i was just collecting files and listening to music only as a background activity, without caring. I missed the artwork, the lyrics, the ability to listen to a full album holding the artwork in my hands, without switching constantly between playlists and finding out i miss "truly listening to music".

I often use my car for rides of more than 300 miles, this is for me the best moment to listen to a new album, to discover a new artist, something i would have purchased down the road just because i found that the artwork was great.

I don't like having a streaming service telling me what to listen based on what i previously listened, i don't like the limited choice a streaming service gives me, even though i own both a deezer and a spotify account !

And to conclude, i like quality sound more and more, car dealers sell 1000 $ sound upgrade as an option but sell you no way to benefit from it : no cd and no flac !!!

thgord likes this.
  15. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

My 2015 Civic EX-L has one but I never use it. Went right to dbpoweramp .mp3 (Lame) VBR highest quality (since it does not support FLAC) and USB stick. With the stock system the high quality mp3 are indistinguishable from a CD and far more convenient. I actually use several smaller sticks that I swap out so I don't have to scroll through a massive list.

The batch converter in dbpoweramp makes the conversion quick and easy.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I buy CD's and I play them in my car on the way home. Once there, they get ripped and are on my phone never to see the cd player ever again. It is a much better way to live life than a car full of CD's to deal with and damage. I would be bummed not to be able to open a new cd and listen to it on the drive home but not enough to live with a car that wasn't my first choice.

JimmyCool likes this.
  17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

playing cds in the car probably leads to accidents. you should not be fiddling with discs while driving.

I put a new stereo with bluetooth in my car at least a decade ago and have never put a disc in even once.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The OP is disappointed about not getting a CD player and the followups are about lifestyle changes....awesome....

19. Tartifless

And fiddling with the device connected via bluetooth ?

20. With Apple Car Play you can just say: Play Billy Joel and it plays Billy Joel (you don't have to look at the screen). Not that I would ever play a Billy Joel song in my car :wave:

sublemon and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Tartifless

I feel the op disappointment, it would be my worst nightmare.
    Compassion is what this is about.

22. Tartifless

And one day you would have to change your car because Apple does not give you access to upgrades of the entertainment system anymore... (sorry that one was easy).

I think most possible is that Siri would answer : "sorry , i did not understand your question" , you would be so pissed off that an accident might happen...

23. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Nowadays, the car makers make the radio so integrated into the vehicles that installing an aftermarket head unit is either impossible or extremely difficult, especially if you want full functionality of your vehicle's controls.

24. The upgrade is with every IOS upgrade )or when they add a fix or improvement) . I don't see iphones or Androids (both can use CarPlay) being discontinued anytime soon.

25. Tartifless

I agree but if you still have an iphone 3 today you won't have access to the latest updates.
    Apple needs to ensure they will be able to sell the latest hardware to you every now and then.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.