My new car has no CD player :-(

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technology to improve can go back only far in terms of compatibility to really be effective. My guess is that if you are buying a new car that has Car Play, your iPhone is newer than one from 2009. Any iphone from the last 4 years would work just fine.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You're looking at screens no matter what method you use-either the car's in dash system if you use a USB stick, or your phone or music player connected through the aux input or BT. I have an older car with no in dash video, and my head unit is also older, so I connect my 200gb phone through the aux input, and the phone is in a holder right on top of the dash, so it's actually in a better position than the head unit. I use a USB stick as well, but the navigation of it is basically forward and back through songs, and up and down to switch files (in other words, not so great).
    It is odd OP's car doesn't even have an AUX input.

3. Most cars now have a USB rather than a mini jack..

Davidmk5 likes this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yeah, the missing aux-in would bug me.

My car's aux-in is actually broken atm and leveraging BT-only for my older devices is a bit of a pain.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I Dread this day for sure , i bought my last New car 3 years ago & it still has a cd player & also all the blue-tooth , usb ports etc. with touch screen , but sadly they seem to be all going this way :(
    I think i would have walked after the cassette 8-track joke :agree:

I still use my cd player 75% of the time , i have been looking at new cars & soon i'll be dealing with this as well ...................

kenbefound likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

In fact that is not my point.

My point is that putting apple & google in cars is a dangerous thing, you are making a car (which should be a long term purchase) technology dependent and far too reliable on electronics and associated bugs...

7. I understand your point but cars now have electronics that can be fairly easily upgraded and improved via software updates rather than ripping out an entire head unit.

I do know that some don't like to be tenchnology dependent.

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

the real question is did it then play a song for you ?

[​IMG]

McLover, Grawlix, WapatoWolf and 2 others like this.
  9. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I think they did tell me there was a CD player available, but I would lose the entire center console, so you may be mostly right. That was also when I said no thanks.

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I drove a Dodge Caliber for 10 years. It's hard to get what you want in a small car.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I still have an old 1998 Subaru with an in-dash CD player as well as a 6-disc changer under the seat. I grab a CD to drive to work and to play stuff driving around town, but honestly, I would rather keep the CDs in the house for stereo listening and use my phone to stream in the car.

The phone is always with you, so there isn't anything in the car to get damaged or stolen. Bluetooth audio is good enough for me due to all the road noise, and I should be focused on the road anyway--not listening for pedal/stool squeaks. To me, it makes all the sense in the world for new cars to ditch the CD in favor of newer, portable technologies. Plus, Bluetooth allows you to keep the phone in your pocket and use the car's controls to access it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I bought a 2017 Nissan Maxima at the beginning of the year. It has a single disc player. It also has Bluetooth, two USB ports and a 1/8 aux input plug.

My 2014 maxima had a 6 disc changer and I used it all the time. The 6 disc changer is no longer an option.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  13. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Good to hear about Nissan. I've been looking at a Nissan Murano & now I can assume it has a cd player. I will definitely check it out though.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Undisputable logic:righton:

SandAndGlass, Davidmk5 and Kristofa like this.
  15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I also have faced this issue. And think I would want to look at a new car that still has a cd player. Am I hearing that Nissan and Subaru still offer them on 2017 models?

Having to rip my cds on a computer so I can hear my own music in car annoys me.

Some of the controls on these newer cars involve 'soft' keys (eg, for Repeat) and I often miss hitting them properly. An additional source of driver distraction...

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You must have a lot more CD stores in your neck of the woods. The rest of America just opens up iTunes or Google Play store on their phone (wherever they are) to purchase music. But more likely they are just picking from one of 50 million songs from Spotify/YouTube to stream for free. Even paying $.99 for an MP3 is getting a bit outdated!

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Tartifless does not stand alone....I stand WITH him! :righton:

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No. If your controls are on the steering wheel, and you can use your thumb to select songs on it, you can keep your eyes on the road.

Kristofa and Mazzy like this.
  19. Grant

Truck stops sell them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    gitters likes this.
  20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Because....your eyes shifted down to the right to the center display???

Grawlix likes this.
  21. Grant

That's right. What are these manufacturers thinking? The least they could do is affer a damn aux input. What's it gonna cost them? Not everyone wants to use Bluetooth or stream from Pandora.

22. Grant

People do make a big thing out of keeping your eyes on the road, though. I mean, when you drive, you have to look all around anyway. You have to look at the rear-view mirror, side mirrors, and gauges, so glancing at the screen is no big deal as long as you don't stare at it while trying to select your songs.

23. Pete74

Pete74 Forum Resident

Here's my $.02. Few years back I bought a (used) 2012 Subaru Forester. It came with a Pioneer Avic Nav/Stereo thingy. USB/Micro SD/Bluetooth/CD/DVD/Sat radio. It came with this because at the time it was shipped to north america, there had been a supply shortage in Japan apparently so Subaru cut a deal with Pioneer to provide the unit.

Anyway, what a piece of junk! (Love the car tho)

The cd slot is so awkward to get a disc into, plus the on-screen eject function is crap, if you need to eject the cd you gotta wait until the stereo 'boots up' (really slow)
    The satellite radio only worked for a bit then something happened to the built-in antenna thing (didn't care much)
    Bluetooth drops out a lot and only displays the track details if using an iphone 4 (nothing newer, and no android)
    USB & Micro SD interface is stupid and takes forever to navigate thru (cd is this way too)

On top of all that, to program a trip in the nav takes forever too. And it sure doesn't sound as nice as my Boston Acoustics system that came with my previous vehicle.

Anyway....too lazy/cheap to replace it I guess.

24. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

What I like about car CD players is that they're all set to go. Turn on the car and the music just picks up where it left off. No plugging in a cord or syncing, or scrolling through apps.

25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Please I've already had a bad day...don't make it worse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.