My new Eico HF 81

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Had an opportunity to get one, and couldn't resist. Have way too many amps, but I'd heard such great things about it from people I trust that I had to pull the trigger. This one is completely rebuilt, clean as a whistle, looks incredible(at least to me...I guess there are those that are not into this kind of vintage), and most importantly, the sound is off the charts good. Amazing power for 14 watts, mates perfectly with my Klipsch Cornwalls. I have other 6BQ5 amps which are also excellent, but this one really takes the cake. Big, full, rich, luscious sound. I'm in love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Beautiful!

sberger likes this.
  3. sberger

Thank you!

4. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Beautiful - congratulations!

sberger likes this.
  5. sberger

For those that are into such things, here's what was restored/updated:

All new pots, new input selector switch, all new RCA jacks, all new speaker connecting jacks
    Entirely rebuilt with all electrolytic caps from Sprague Atom, circuits caps a combination paper in oil caps and silver micas, all of identical value as original design
    All new resistors (all plate resistors are carbon comps), Dale power resistor
    All new pots, including two Alps for volume (250k) and balance aka "focus" (1Meg).
    Tone control section entirely rebuilt with polystyrene caps, carbon comp resistors and dual pots
    Multi-section power supply cylindrical cap is brand new as well
    Every single wire inside is Silver plated/Teflon. NO PVC anywhere...
    Power switch formerly on treble pot has been moved to the rear
    Grounding screw for turntable has been added.
    All new stainless steel hardware
    All new tube sockets with brand new tube shields for tone control tubes and phono section tubes
    New three-prong power cord, therefore amp is now properly grounded. Safety "death cap" also replaced with x/y rated.
    Phono section entirely rebuilt as well with RIAA EQ components moved under chassis
    Overheating power supply tranny replaced by brand new replacement clone made by original tran's manufacturer

JazzPolice likes this.
  6. sberger

Thanks!

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have one too. Though its sound pales in comparison to my Decware amps, it's a nice amp indeed.

sberger likes this.
  8. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

awesomely clean!

sberger likes this.
  9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

She's a beauty, Sam! Enjoy!!

sberger likes this.
  10. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

How much did you pay for all of that if you don't mind telling?

11. sberger

Less than $1000. Considering that the 12 tubes are all NOS Mullard/Blackburn and worth over $500 and the restoration/mods would cost that also, I pretty much got the amp for free. I'm pretty happy.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Whoa, NICE.

13. sberger

I loved my Decware stuff Lon(still use my CSP2 daily as a headphone amp) but it didn't provide me with the sound I was searching for. Really an apples/oranges comparison. I don't know how much restoration your 81 went through. I've heard that unless a lot of what was done to mine isn't that it can sound flabby. In any event, it's great that there's all this different gear out there so we can have an opportunity to find the sound that best suits us.

14. Lonson

Mine is all stock. It's not the kind of sound I want with the speakers I want; the HF 81 can't drive my speakers to the level I need them, and though I grew up on vintage tube gear (Dad's Dynaco stuff) and liked the EICO sound in a small room near-field set up. it just doesn't have the clarity and drive that I love in Decware. Even my 2 watt Decware amps sounded better to me.

It's probably a different story with all those mods, but my stock one doesn't sound as good as the Decware amps.

Glad you're really digging yours, it's a beauty!

15. sberger

Synergy is everything, ain't it? That, and preference of sound. I have a smallish listening space, and Klipsch Cornwalls that have been updated. Amp is almost too powerful. Hard to believe I know, but a bigger sound than my Torii did. Now I was using Klipsch Fortes back then, so perhaps that had something to do with it. They are a lot more picky about room placement than the Cornwalls. And yeah, from what I understand a stock 81 is not the same amp as one that has undergone this degree of restoration. So who knows? As long as we're all digging what we're digging it's all good.

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Congratulations! Beautiful amp.

sberger likes this.
  17. Lonson

Well we all like different things. I've limited experience with a few Klipsch speakers and I haven't really been drawn to the sound and presentation, not my thing. I've become very fond of the Decware/Zeigler "Radial" speakers (and the HR-1 that includes a Radial driver), they have the imaging and tonal characteristics that seem most natural and real to me. The HF-81 just doesn't have what it takes for these speakers. So . . .synergy yes, tastes to a degree as well.

I've sold a house this year, relocated across the country, and I decided to order a new Torii Mk III (mine was one of the first built, without the bass controls which I really want) and a new pair of HR-1 speakers (mine were a very near final prototype). That's where I decided to anchor my future. . . and I'm very happy with those products. I don't like to change gear often, and won't need to. Vintage gear is fun, I know you'll be enjoying your amp.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a very nice looking unit with some decent sized traffos/chokes. Clean design of the top plate.

Do you have a photo of the underneath?

19. sberger

[​IMG]

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Excellent - thank you.

21. I was going to make jokes about the "new" part. Then I looked at the pictures! Wow! a STUNNER!
    :bigeek:

sberger likes this.
  22. sberger

Cool. Good luck with everything, and will look forward to your reports on the Torii III. I'm sure it's an outstanding amp.

23. Lonson

The only real difference will be the bass controls; I had my Mk III upgraded to Jupiter caps this last month, but Steve couldn't add the bass controls to mine (according to him). I'll have two Mk IIIs then and will possibly sell my Mk II or my current Mk III as I also have a Zen C amp (modded by Eddie Vaughn) as a back up amp. An embarassment of riches!

sberger likes this.
  24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Very, very nice! Love all the mods/upgrades... and those Mullards El84s.
    Enjoy.

sberger likes this.
  25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I also have an HF-81, rebuilt. The sound completely floors me. Best amp I've ever had, hands down. I'm running mine thru a pair of Tannoy Saturn-10s.

All the tubes in my amp are Vintage 50s and 60s Sylvanias, including a pair of Gold Brand 5751s in the driver stage. Together they have a synergy that makes one want to listen all night.

Sneaky Pete and sberger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.