My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

That LM>DeVore Orangutan combo really seems a winner!

I notice you have an Emotiva CD deck - how does that work in the context of your system?

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say the Emotiva works just fine. To be honest, I don't listen to CDs much these days, pretty much strictly vinyl. In a few months, I'm probably going to just go for an Oppo BDP-105D so that I can have movies play through my system. I can also start getting into hi-res downloads, which I haven't really even began to use.

ThorensSme likes this.
  3. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

Just wonder how LM-518a sounds like. really wish could afford that one now. looks absolutely stunning

[​IMG]

hi_watt, IanL, ceynon and 3 others like this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I have a demo unit ordered! Will let you know how it sounds once it arrives. Can't wait to get it in hand.

Long Live Analog and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Goldprint, have you had the opportunity to hear the LM-1's? Those amps fascinate me.

7. GoldprintAudio

Not had a chance to hear them.....understand that they are quite incredible though.

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

9. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

please ! that amp has been on my wish list for a year now. one lucky day...

10. GoldprintAudio

Will do.....mine should arrive either today or tomorrow.

11. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Had mine about a month now and loving it, first go with tubes for me !

12. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

b u m p !

13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

If it sounds s good as it looks, I'm sure it's stellar!

14. GoldprintAudio

Forgot about this thread!

Really digging my 518ia demo unit. Fantastic sound. And one good looking piece of gear.

Plays really well with the current DeVore demos I have (3xl, 0/93). Really looking forward to getting my 0/96 demo's in and trying it with them.

Also found that it sounds pretty amazing with Joseph Pulsars. And surprisingly, does quite well with Alta Lelantos.

ThorensSme likes this.
  15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Goldprint, we are going to need pics.

beowulf and GoldprintAudio like this.
  16. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Still very much enjoying my LM 216! Fantastic amplifier. So even handed and true to sound. I am kind of hoping I never hear the 218, or 518, I'm guessing it would ruin me and my budget.

17. ThorensSme

Has anyone tried 6550 power tubes in this amp? I'm getting ready to order new power tubes and am looking at the Gold Lion kt88s, however I note that 6550s may also be used. I have no experience with that tube so don't know if there is a specific sonic signature that it may have (like the EL34 vs KT88 sound).

18. MikeT.

MikeT. Forum Resident

I am strongly considering, OK 80% certain,, that I will purchase the LM 216ia. I get my ears on it in the coming two weeks and have heard so many raves from people I respect in this hobby, I'm already predisposed. Aside from the KT88 and 6550's are there any other power tubes that can be used with the 216ia?
    I am a complete tube newbie so please forgive the question. The other amp I will get to hear, same day different shop, is the Primaluna Dialogue Premium and it can use the KT120, EL34 and KT88 but it is 30%+ more expensive.

19. v3kt0r

v3kt0r New Member

Hi Guys,

I purchased LM 216ia yesterday and this is my first tube amp. Have a pair of Cabasse Sloop M4, I wouldn't probably move to tubes if I haven't gotten those speakers. They are the same age as they owner but feel much younger than him. So, when I swapped it with my old/new Yamaha A-550 (please do not laugh :) here) the difference was like night and day.

I just have quick question if I should change stage preamp tubes right the way or get used to them and then switch those tubes only? I got a pair of JJ ECC83s / 12AX7 as a present from Steven (inleavingstereo). And please give few important recommendations to the beginner.

Thank you all in advance.

IanL likes this.
  20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

If you have the patience, I would let all the original tubes break in first before tube rolling. That let's you hear how the designer voiced your amp. However, I don't have the patience, so when I got my 518ia, I immediately started tube rolling. You can boost the performance big time by getting the right tubes in there (I would suggest NOS for the preamp tubes), but I still think it is helpful to know how the original tube set sounds. They did a nice job with the original tubes on the 518ia, and I bet the same can be said for the 216ia.

v3kt0r likes this.
  21. ThorensSme

I switched out the LM 12ax7 after months of listening with Gold Lion 12ax7 types. Really noticeable shift in smoothness, and bass depth/definition. I also later switched to the Gold Lion KT88 power tube, which gave more of the same. Eventually I also put NOS RCA 12bh7a tubes in the driver stage to replace the EH ones. This was also a marked improvement, mainly in depth of image and body.

Stock tubes seem ok, but you will see improvements with tube upgrades! I'd start with the small signal tubes, then the driver tubes, if I were to do it over again. Power tubes when they seem to be wearing out.

22. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm loving the stock tubes on my 211ia. I even tried new Gold Lion ax's and didn't care for them much. About 100 hours in so far.

IanL likes this.
  23. GoldprintAudio

Since you already have the JJ's, I would probably go ahead and put them in. Changing the 2 ax7's can make a nice difference in your integrated.

24. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Why be in such a hurry, though? He'll literally have no idea what a 216ia is supposed to sound like. Those might even turn out to be a downgrade/sidegrade compared to a fully burned in unit.

25. GoldprintAudio

It's just a suggestion and he could certainly try either....but really the stock ax7's are sort of the weak point in the tubes (I'm a LM dealer). It's the first tubes that I suggest swapping out....and the JJ's are not a downgrade in his amp (I use them here).

IanL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.