My new LP storage shelving. Excellent!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrentB, Feb 12, 2017.

1. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Very nice. I prefer finding albums that way than reading the spine. Seems more natural.
    Congrats.

PhilBiker and eddiel like this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The only downside is the bottom half are a bit harder to sort through. They have two models, one that has side facing bottom and the other front facing bottom shelf.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

The Target 6-Cube Threshold with 13” spacing goes on sale tomorrow (DEC 25). Regular $59.99, on sale for $45. I’m going to get myself one (or two)!

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is 30 lbs per shelf weight capacity enough? Seems like you could hit that real quick with vinyl.

6. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I have one of these. I really like it. In a few weeks I’ll add some lighting to it. Doesn’t hold as many as I thought as I’m at 335 and it can take maybe 20 more and I’ll have to get another.

Overall though I like it s d will add another soon.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

One of my big bug-a-boos: storage solutions for the albums you have...not what you're going to have in the future. Wheat happens when you find a unit you're perfectly happy with...and you don't have room for a second one next to it. Does this mean you have to sift-out the Soundtracks, or the "space-y" music or, okay I'll say it, Beatles...and re-locate these to another area of the house?

Oh and yes, cyclistsb, I love your top-browsing unit, especially for its' ergonomics.

recstar24 likes this.
  8. The short answer is yes.

My shelves in my record library downstairs are pretty tight so I got this bench for upstairs behind my sofa and between my rear speakers. Perfect spot underneath for some of my huge box sets and my new release bin . Now I have more Records space and these boxes are up near where my stereo is.

Creative solutions.

[​IMG]

9. brendans

brendans Forum Resident

I have an IKEA Kallax and BH&G and they seem very similar as far as robustness. I have seen the Targer ones and they seemed a bit more flimsy

10. johnch

johnch Well-Known Member

I couldn't find what I wanted, so built these out of Maple plywood. The bottom drawers are on full extension sliders which makes for easy access.

[​IMG]

-John

11. Very nice.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh, yeahhhh - I LOVE drawerage! That's the first "different" thing I've seen in these threads for awhile. Well done!

If I could get those made, they would so totally go with my CD drawer cabinet (also custom-made, also using those long-pull sliders!).

13. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Holy crap. Excellent work!

14. johnch

johnch Well-Known Member

Thanks for compliments. Here is another photo taken during construction that shows the side profile. A fully loaded drawer weighs 135lb, which proved a bit of a challenge as most of the readily available full extension slides tap out at 100lb. I initially wanted to use soft-close slides, but none were available rated that high in the length needed.

[​IMG]

-John

Hammerpeg, lightbulb, arar and 6 others like this.
  15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'd buy this without question....very nice

16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I bought a smaller unit for my overflow...so at the moment, I transfer less than stellar records into the forbidden bin....then into the trade in pile.

17. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

That’s a good idea. Although the only less than stellar records I’ve bought were less than stellar due to misrepresented condition. But I like your angle on it. I may use that. :righton:

18. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I have four 9-cube units— two side-by-side on the floor, and two sitting on top of them. I’ve had most of the cubes completely filled for a year, and don’t see any sag whatsoever.

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The Kallax is sturdy by comparison.

lightbulb likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What did you end up using? :)

22. johnch

johnch Well-Known Member

I used these which are rated at 150lb.

-John

Mazzy likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Fantastic. Love it. Wish I could store my records this way. Always been my fantasy to have something like this. Unfortunately with around 4000 albums there wouldn’t be a way to do it. Well done!

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Anyone know were I can get something like THIS, only not as expensive...?

[​IMG]

25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Why, are you opening a retail store?

:winkgrin:
    (My apologies for being THAT guy. J/K)