My new minimalist 2 channel system!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chazz, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict Thread Starter

My wife and I decided we needed a budget system for our summer cottage. We have no TV or phone at the cottage and love it but music is a must! Until now we relied on small table top system with an Ipod attached. The following is the system we put together.
    Creek Evolution integrated amp - $900
    ProAc Studio 100 speakers - $1200
    Oppo 970 cd/sacd/dvd-a - $150

So, for $2250, I think we did pretty good for a 2 channel system. I didn't have to buy any cables or IC's as I have a bunch of extra stuff accumulated over the years. Everything is still boxed up until we go up for a couple days next weekend. I can't wait to get everything set up and give it a listen. I had a chance to audition the ProAc's with other equipment and liked what I heard. We bought the Oppo 970 just on what we've read about it from other members here, I hope it's not a disappointment. The Creek EVO was a blind buy recommended by a well respected friend of mine who owns one. I've heard his with different speakers and was impressed.

I'll let you all know next week how everything sounds, keeping my fingers crossed........

Anyone with hands on experience with any of these components please chime in!

Chazz

2. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Here's my new 2 channel system.

Onix XL-S Black Satin Speakers $260
    Onix Xl-S Launch Pad Speaker Stands $160
    Yamaha RX 797 Stereo Receiver $358
    Oppo 970 DVD Player $170
    Yamaha CDC 697 5 Disc CD Player $209
    And soon to arrive Onix XL-S Subwoofer $242

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Here's my minimalist two channel system...

Coel power amp (old 1960's Mexico designed stuff)... SET. Can't even remember the power tubes it uses. $140.

Old full-range speakers (around 92 db/W) on sealed baffles. Possibly Philips. Or something else. Received them as a gift.

Result: bliss. And lots of heat from the old small amp :)

4. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

What's your source??? I got's to know!!!!

What feeds this system the signal source??????? CD, Tuner, Table? Just wonder-in??? I like your minimal idea... Get stuff free or nearly so... I just got some free gear myself... Some people just want rid of it.

How about a Bell tube receiver from around 1963... And a pair of Utah speakers... A Miracord 50H tt... I got it all Free... and working, sort of...
    Rolf E.

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

My most "minimalist" system is the one hooked to my computer here--the computer's combi-drive plays CDs; amplification courtesy of a Fisher 295 receiver (recent $10 thrift shop special) connected to the computer's sound card and driving a pair of MicroSonic MS-3 mini-speakers ($60 or so at a Pacific Stereo store back in 1982; sorta like Minimus 7s in ersatz walnut vinyl-clad cases). If I got off my rump and installed an antenna, I guess I could listen to radio, too. Somewhere along the line I may add a sub, if I can find a suitable choice without spending many $$$.

All my other systems are based on separates or sprout bunches of signal sources and processors. On the whole, in audio, as in car trips, I've never mastered the art of traveling light.... :sigh:

6. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

PartsExpress.com have great deals on inexpensive Dayton Audio subs.:agree:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

...although, come to think of it, I guess I *do* have one "system" that's even simpler yet :) :

Attached Files:

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks for the hint--I'll have a look!

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

My minimalist system, which compared to yours is probably more like a "infinitesimalist" system:

Kyocera CD player ($35)
    Rotel integrated amp ($40)
    Optimus Pro 77 speakers ($45)

I really like the way it sounds, very ear-pleasing.

10. Chazz

Looking at the "minimalist" systems you guys posted I guess I should clarify my original post. When I say minimalist I mean that they system is simply an Int amp, speakers and source, not so much the price. I could have put together a much less expensive system with used gear, but we decided to purchase everything brand new. Everything will be hooked up later tonight.......Can't wait!

11. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Chazz,
    Will you need a TV monitor to set up the Oppo 970?

12. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Nice system! Those ProAc's are good speakers.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Don't you have a T-amp based "minimalist system?" What happened to that?

(I just ask, because I was impressed by it!)

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have 2 minimalist 2-channel systems (and 2 that are not so minimalist).

Bedroom system:
    California Audio Labs CL-15 cd player (with volume contol, so no need for pre-amp)
    McIntosh MC122 power amp
    B&W CDM 7NT speakers

Basement system:
    Rotel RCD 951 cd player
    NAD C740 receiver
    Klipsch Forte speakers (from 1986 - my first decent speakers)

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Minimalist bedroom system:

Sony SCD-C333ES, Arcam Alpha 10, JM Reynaud Twin IIIs on Sound Anchor stands.

16. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

A number of years ago I had this minimalist 2-channel system:

McIntosh MC250 power amp
    AMC CD8b disc player
    Klipsch Cornwall loudspeakers

Had I not decided to go the tube route, I think I would've kept this system intact...maybe upgraded my source to a CD player with a tube output stage. I loved that ol' Mac; should've never sold it, but I needed the money.:(

Attached Files:

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Minimalist shelving too. ;)

18. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Do you still have the picture with the black cat? That's awesome. I had a cool black cat once and have a neat picture of one in my listening room that looks a lot like her. I think they're good luck!
    Peace-
    Norm
    t5

19. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

NAD M55 Universal Player>Plinius 8200 MkI>Revel M20s.
    Bam! Done. I do run it off a power conditioner, though.

Got it all off Audiogon, so, it t'weren't awfully expensive.

20. Chazz

Love that McIntosh amp! I have an MC2205 and MC7104 in my main system.

21. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Small 10X10 bedroom system. AR-XA($50.00), Shure 97 cart.(89.95 new) Scott 299C Amp($200.00) AR4speakers($100.00) NAD 541($200.00) Scott 325R solid state receiver,for the tuner.(Free) Sounds good to me! Especially for under $650.00 total

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Didn't Apple just hit the 100M mark for the number of iPods it has sold worldwide? Those are 100M 2-channel, minimalist sound systems. :D

23. Chazz

Finally got everything hooked up and had a listen. Sounds great to me, the ProAc's need a little more time to loosen up a bit. I can't believe how the Oppo performs for the price! I might have to add a sub at some point but for now I can deal with it.

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

My minimalist (bedroom) system:

JVC DVD player (also plays CDs - $60)
    Rega Brio amp ($200-ish, used)
    Cambridge Soundworks Model Six speakers ($149)

25. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Had a Nakamichi 250 with powered ADS speakers in our bedroom for a couple of months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.