My New Portable Audio System (Headphone Based)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nice! I need to get a listen to the Beyer DT 1350 sometime. I'm quite curious about how it sounds.

2. slwiser

slwiser New Member

I have added a tube amp to the mix of the setup above, the ALO Continental V2.

I can switch between Solid State (Fostex HP-P1) and the tube amp with only a couple of plug changes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIG ED and LeeS like this.
  3. Averara

Averara New Member

Could you please share your impressions about the ALO Continental V2, and how "tubey" does it sound?

P.S.
    Wavelength Audio is also going to make a DAC/AMP with 6111 tubes.

4. slwiser

slwiser New Member

I have not have that much time to listen over the last few days to my portable setup. Will get to it sometime.

So far I enjoy the HP-P1 with dense orchestra music and deep drums from oriental type music. The ALO still seems to be great (emotion sound) with vocals.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Nice rig. I'm thinking about getting the Cypher Labs dac soon. The Continental amp I saw at RMAF. Ya gotta love portable tube amps. :cheers:

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

As long as you don't also love battery life. ::evil_grin:: :hide:

7. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Lee,
    Kinda curious why you didn't go the CEntrance DACPort route; built-in 24/96 DAC and headphone amp. Is it that the iPod won't power a DACport?

8. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Where did you get that useful case for carrying everything?

9. slwiser

slwiser New Member

Case was one I had laying around with a un-used blood sugar testing machine in it. I re-purposed the case.

More images here, this link contains all my recent portable setup images: http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/slwiser/Portable setup/

I really don't think the CEntrance DACPort is as flexible in use as the Fostex. The DACPort seems to be powered only by the USB which is not available on the iPod, the source I was planning on using. The only reason I got the ALO is that I have some extra fun money available and wanted to check out this tube unit. I had read lots of good things about it and at one time had a TTVJ portable mini-max amp that sounded good as well. I now like the possibility of using the solid state amp or tube amp as desired.

10. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

You don't feel that the RS1 is too fragile to be lugged around? I'm looking for a GREAT sounding DAC/amp to go with my 11" MacBook Air.

11. LeeS

Well for starters I won the ALO Rx II in a raffle so it was free. :)

Also I wanted something that plugged right into the Classic. The Cypher Labs Solo sounds better as well in my opinion although the DACport is very, very good.

12. LeeS

I often take my RS1 to the park for dog walks. Works great.

13. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Lash ups
    Buy a Sound Devices 702 and listen on the best open back cans.
    Are you man or half biscuit ?

14. LeeS

That's a whole other level on price and weight.

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Are we not those Men ?

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

and

Thanks, guys, the info was helpful. I kinda thought the CEntrance wouldn't be viable if you were using a iPod as the source, not enough power to power the CEntrance USB DAC. Looks like the CEntrance would be a nice setup if you were using it with a laptop.

I like the whole tube amp headphone amp thing, though, and the Solo looks like a nice DAC for this applications.

17. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Is the CEntrance DACPort good for the road? I want a DAC/Amp to go with my 11" Air. I love my Apogee Duet 2, but it's too big & $$$ to lug around.

18. Perfect for the road. It's the size of a cigar. Sounds great. Reasonably priced, has some neat technology, made in the U.S.A. And yes, I really like mine.

19. Yes, you are correct--an iPod/iPhone/iPad cannot supply enough power for the DACport to work (when using the camera connector adapter for the USB port). It's not so much the DAC that is current hungry, it's the headphone amp.

20. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I tried the USB camera connection kit going from my iPad 2 to my HRT Music Streamer II, and it would not power the MSII, so it can be the DAC as well.

21. I guess it could be as well, but the big current-hungry component in the DACport is the headphone amp, as it is biased into class A.

22. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I'm new to the whole "ipod amp" thing and am on a tight budget,so I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of/ listened to an Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 ? I seems to be in my budget range, plus I want something kinda neutral sounding. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

23. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

24. Averara

Averara New Member

I bought a Centrance Dacport recently, and I'm also very happy with the practicality, price and the way it sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.