My new Rega RP6 - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Austin Lee, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Same table I assume:

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

1mm wobble is too much. Keep trying. I can't tell the platter is spinning on my VPI. That's how it should be on the Rega.

I'd set anti-skate, generally at whatever the VTF is. I don't buy into Harry Weisfeld's claim that anti-skate isn't important. It may not always or even typically be audibly apparent, but it's doing a number on your records if set too low.

3. Analogman

I have found the most effective approach to bias is to set it using the bias tracks on the Hi-Fi News disc or similar

It has also been my experience that the markings on bias adjusters are not to be trusted; I've had maybe one or two decks on which the NUMBER indicated on the bias scale actually agreed with the NUMBER on the VTF scale, and the adjustments were coincidentally correct and optimal

The springs get weak over time and you should not trust them as absolutes (the painted or indented scales) as anything more than a "rough in" adjustment starting point, even on a new arm, regardless of pedigree

There is no way that all of the springs or magnets or what have you are all exactly alike or identical (manufacturing tolerances from batch to batch, even example to example)........not enough so that the desired degree of precision to this adjustment can be relied upon from arm to arm simply from trusting in some marks on a wheel or a scale

Bias should definitely always be set dynamically

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

man is that awful. i was thinking about the turntables I have owned and came in contact with over the decades- my very first table was BIC plastic special and the platter was perfect.
    it was perfect on my friends sound design all-in-one and my other friend's zenith alegro- all-in one. i have never seen such horrible quality on a turntable.

5. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I have a stock RP6 with Exact and it performs flawlessly.

I have read of people having issues, but keep in mind that it is probably only a handful of people speaking loudly next to the thousands of people who have had absolutely no issues and see no need to remind people that their turntable is perfect.

It's an absolute classic turntable.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

The bigger issue is that tables with problems are even making into the wild. Regas are sold through a dealer network and dealers should be installing these tables, and weeding off the chaff in the process.

Analogman and Aereoplain like this.
  7. Austin Lee

Austin Lee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Woah, woah, woah guys.

My platter issue is nowhere close to as bad as the video posted above.

Between the folks who want to trash brands and dealers and the folks who question my real issues with a turntable in my house, I guess I'll just sit back and watch.

I'm out.

Ntotrar, Sailfree and jordanb87 like this.
  8. russk

russk Forum Resident

Rega definitely has its brand loyalist and detractors lol.

For what it's worth. I had a little wobble too. I got a new sub from the distributor and with about 20 hours of playing my wobble is gone. Good luck. I love my RP6. I upgraded from an sl1200 and auditioned VPI traveler and scout, clearaudio concept, and a project expression. Also heard a Gyrodec and a Well Tempered Simplex many times (the turntables of a friend and an aquaintence). In order of Sound Preference I would list them such. Gyrodec, Well Tempered (just a hair preferred to RP6 but too delicate for me) RP6, Clearaudio, VPI Scout, Traveler, Project (awful IMHO). For 1500.00 the RP6 was the obvious choice for me. Found the sound to be much more engaging and real compared to the Clearaudio and VPI tables, plus dustcover and fantastic customer support. The Project was so bad and from everything I'd read about them after listening to it I just wrote the brand off.

Once I got the wobble sorted out of my RP6 I couldn't be happier. Just an amazing sounding turntable. Detail galore and so life like with the 2m Blue.

9. Analogman

It would appear to be more than a "handful"
    This is what comes up when you get to the letter "p" in "Rega RP6 p............:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rega rp6 platter wobble

REGA person comments (I asked here somewhere if someone could describe or show me the packing material for these tables; I have an idea on all of this based on how my first "25" was delivered. especially if REGA's shipping containers still suck like they did 15+ years ago)

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152902

English experience:
    http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rp6-platter-wobble

I agree; the Rega Planar 3 is a classic turntable

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  10. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Four pages in and I was waiting for someone to suggest that very thing. The Rega tonearm and the Ortofon may be working very well together. I doubt (the OP) could send back the table without the arm, though. They might frown on that. :laugh:

11. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

LOL! Sounds like somebody has been PM'd.

You started a pros/cons thread on a popular brand that, in fact, has a load of pros and cons. Even I, oft-accused basher of Rega, own close to $4k worth of the stuff (and recent vintage).

What do you expect? Especially when you damn near listed every commonly reported issue with Rega tables.

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Unless you compared all with the same cart, it's very hard to rank tables on 'sound' -- I listen for pitch stability, noise floor, tracking accuracy (and even that's tough) -- and look / feel / build quality / speed accuracy (I measure the table before I take it home). The cart will have the largest impact on 'sound'. Not to mention a lot of dealers demoing Rega tables on top of hollow cabinets, which will bloat the bass output if not properly isolated.

13. Analogman

Has nothing to do with any of that, sorry you feel that way; no trashing here

I've said here now many time, I own (3) REGA tables but all of mine are the original designs, pre 2000

I will say this; there is no way I could find a "pro" with a table, ANY table, from ANY manufacturer that exhibits movement of the platter in either plane, movement that I can see with the naked eye! And at the $1,000 dollar or above price point? If that platter is moving or "wobbling" then the table is defective and you should receive either your money back or a whole new table

That is a glaring DEFECT and should not be tolerated by anyone for any reason
    Someone else has said it and I agree; I cannot believe that any dealer, or perhaps even REGA is allowing product this flawed out into the public

I have wholeheartedly recommended REGA tables for years, especially to those wanting true high performance sound in a no hassles deck

After reading this one and others like it I can no longer recommend REGA to anyone for any reason until this is cleared up; the defective rate appears too high and getting the problems addressed is a pain...............a new turn table, at this price point, requiring an "up grade" sub platter right out of the box is preposterous! Yet I read people are doing it and are perfectly fine with that, rationalizing that they'd be doing it anyway?????

Did I miss something?

AND, could someone PLEASE post a good photo of the RP6 shipping carton, packing materials and inserts!
    Thank you

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Analogman

Actually, maybe not. Back in the "day" (the 1990s) REGA suffered a problem with broken tonearm finger lifts due to shipping /packing problems; it was a fairly common occurrence
    Steve Lauerman actually preferred replacing just the tonearms over the unnecessary trouble and expense of returning the entire table when the plinth, dust cover and motor assembly were fine

15. But they are not all defective and don't require those upgrades. But if you want your 2k tables to be close to say an rp8, then there is an upgrade path.

I have no wobble whatsoever like many others here.

16. Analogman

I understand that; I was referring to numerous posts I have read in which the writer stated: "had a problem, installed a Tango (or whatever) and now I don't"

I would find that approach untenable, especially with a relatively expensive product which I purchased new

These stories, assuming they are all true, begs the question: just what is an acceptable quality limit on a product such as the RP6 which when compared to other much more complex devices (and sold in the millions) is produced in relatively small numbers?

http://blog.lnsresearch.com/blog/bi...esson-to-Learn-from-Sony-s-PS4-Launch-Mishaps

17. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Recently picked up a new RP6 / Exact 2, no wobble or any noticeable defect of any kind.

utahusker, Mazzy and timztunz like this.
  18. Like all threads and blog sites, you always hear more negative posts on anything as there are thousands out in the world with no problems who don't bother to post. But I get your points and any good company should be on top of making their products better especially as they increase sales.

utahusker and dianos like this.
  19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

They are the same as they've been since at least the P25. Perhaps since forever.

20. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I've had four Rega turntables, and they all had sub-platter issues (among other QC problems).
    Anyone I know with an older Rega table has not had any QC issues.
    IMO (and from what I've read) Rega expanded production at least five-fold (to the huge detriment of QC) to capitalize on the demand for the RP1 when it came out and coincided with the start of the vinyl boom a few years ago.
    Rega it seems sold an enormous amount of RP1s and no doubt made a **** ton of money, but the reputation the original Planar series and then the Planar 3, the P25, P5,P7, and P9 cemented as a bomb-proof, play-and-forget-it turntable that sounded great, was affordable and whose sound punched well above its price has been cashed-in on by the company and no longer applies.
    Is the RP6 a great sounding TT? Yes, it is.
    It's gorgeous, and it does a lot right.
    But, would I ever buy another Rega TT after the numerous problems I've had with three different models? No.
    I'd still recommend an older used Planar over any of the newer RP-series TTs to anyone getting into vinyl.
    My two cents. YMMV.

21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I had an issue with my new RP3 in that the upper part of the double-bracing started to lift away from the plinth. Not great. But, I phoned Rega directly and to their full credit they collected the defective one and sent a replacement with no charge or issues at all. And that one has been fantastic.

mikeyt and raferx like this.
  22. Analogman

Because REGA tonearms, the heart and soul of all REGA tables, will sound good if you bolt them to a sheet of plywood

I tend to shy away from all "space age materials" and "technological advancements" in design when it comes to the most basic, meat and potatoes type mechanical engineering

As much as I possibly can

It's an oft repeated refrain: when we get to V4.1 everyone suddenly realizes that the original of whatever it is was is NOW the one to have.........Human nature I guess (happens a lot with cartridges) and old tube designs that get modded until there are no originals left........then "everybody" wants an original

If it ain't broke, PLEASE DON'T "fix it" (learned by me the hard way)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  23. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Even when bolted to a tree stump.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, BilboAlaska and beowulf like this.
  24. I don't have any experience with the P6, but have really enjoyed my old P25. I have modified the Hell out of it, mainly because I get a kick out of upgrading. The Groovetracer products and other tweaks have taken this table to a new level of performance. In my book, the older Rega's provides great "bang for the buck". New ones probably do also, just never owned one so I can't comment.

I recently purchased an Oracle Delphi Mk IV, not because I was dissatisfied at all with the P25, but because I have always been in lust with the Oracle---especially the black ones with gold trim. The opportunity to get one presented itself and I couldn't help but pull the trigger. It is being shipped and I will see if I moved up the ladder---down the ladder---or just moved over sideways. :shrug:

25. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Exactly. I don't think Rega has a higher percentage of issues than others. Thing is they outsell every turntable company in the world by far. I would not be surprised if they sell more than top 2 and 3 combined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.