My New Tube Integrated- Way Under the Radar (Raven Audio Nighthawk) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucketsrb

bucketsrb Well-Known Member

I haven't but have had a conversation with a forum member that has a BlackHawk. He picked up a quad matched set of vintage RCA black plates (not cheap $800!). He noted what was gained was " the RCA's are so warm, smooth, relaxed and natural.....yet still dynamic with impactful bass. It's a more laid back sound......which I prefer, but others may not". Compared to the stock Russian which were more forward and brighter. Hope that helps.

RavenDave and Joe Spivey like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

From the ones I own now only the LD MkII would be considered. But I plan to have others. You don't think headphones are a good idea?

3. Benzion

Upon closer inspection, sub out is RCA, so - is that the tap to connect a headphone amp?

4. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I wouldn't see the value of driving out from a large amp into a headphone amp. I guess if the amplifier had a design with a separate gain level setting for a headphone out... I still wouldn't be interested in this. (Not sure how the CM II controls its headphone out volume - only see one volume knob. Unless it's "smart" and automatically switches voltage control to the headphone and disconnects volume to the speaker output. I wouldn't be interested in this feature.)

I don't really know if SUB OUT is full range/frequency or filtered to LF only. I have it plugged up to a SW, but actually have the level on the powered SW very low. I don't really need it.

When I want to listen to my headphone amp - it's only sources driving it (and frankly, typically just an iPod). Needless to say, I don't really listen to my headphone amp since I got my Blackhawk. :D And since I added the Legacy speakers, I hear all the details I'd get from the headphone.

If I wanted to listen for example to my turntable on head phones, I'd just connect my pre out into my headphone amp. But again, not a use case I care about.

To each their own I guess.

5. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Thanks! At that price I'd have a hard time making a change. I'd have to try and find a gently used pair or try something else like the GE's. In all honesty, given the prices and availability, I don't really see myself taking the plunge. I could possibly justify doing it and having my current quad as a back-up but it seems like a far stretch really...

6. dadonred

Yeah, that's what I said in my first reply to you.
    And in my last post: I'm not sure SUB OUT is full range or LF only. But I would be concerned about your headphone amp's input signal range. The output from the Raven could/would overdrive it, I would think, unless turned down really low. Again, I'd wave you off of this use case.

7. Joe Spivey

I think the sub out would work but I'd consider not doing it. For one, you'd just be wasting tube life on your Raven. I run my Bottlehead Crack sometimes and just connect it straight to the source....

dadonred likes this.
  8. dadonred

My Blackhawk is already "warm, smooth, relaxed, and natural." I have some other vintage first 3 stage tubes, but I haven't even installed them. I'm a believe in "If I like it, I'm not going to mess with it."

(@GoldprintAudio should know: I immediately messed up my brand new VPI Scout set-up from him trying to add 0.2g due to a messed up pressure gauge from VPI. :p He set me right by helping me diagnose that and sending me a replacement gauge. Still enjoying the Scout through my Blackhawk, Taylor!)

GoldprintAudio and Joe Spivey like this.
  9. dadonred

I agree. You'd basically be trying to use a really great amplifier as a really expensive source switch.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  10. Benzion

Well, I live in an apartment building in NYC. So, if I feel like listening to music at a healthy level at one in the morning AND keep relations civil with my building neighbors - I have to resort to headphones. I have a couple of thousand CD's, hundreds of vinyl, and even a few cassettes left, plus FM radio, so - I do not listen to "files" when at home. I prefer the convenience of having my three sources hooked to the integrated amp, and from there to the head amp, it saves me the need to hook/unhook interconnects every time I choose to listen to another source. My current amp and receiver both perform that function well. The Cambridge amp even sends the volume control to the head amp, letting me use remote of the integrated while listening to the head amp. I can also switch off the speakers by a simple button, when phones are in use.

I will eventually get a tube integrated. Raven products are highly spoken of. I'm evaluating them, among others, so I'm trying to see if I could still use head amps with a Raven product, or it's only a speaker amp, in essence.

mike catucci likes this.
  11. Benzion

Yes, this was my way of acknowledging your reply - I went back to look at the picture, and agreed with you. Thank you.

12. dadonred

@Benzion - here is what the Blackhawk manual says:

The sub-out RCA output is designed for active subwoofers. Your sub must have an internal amplifier for this to be a viable choice to use. Otherwise it can be used as a preamp output. The output is designed as a full-range output so that you can adjust your own sub frequency and volume using your sub-woofer’s internal crossover and amplification. It is now controlled using the main Alps motorized volume control on your integrated amplifier – on all the new 2016 versions!

So I guess you're in good shape!

EricMack likes this.
  13. Benzion

I am in no way determined to misuse a wonderful Raven amp. That's why I'm asking questions before making any moves. It seems a Raven would not be a good choice if I plan to use head amps at night. Your efforts to dissuade me were successful, thank you.

14. dadonred

I was just looking at the CM2 as I'm not familiar with it. It looks like you need to take the cover off to change speaker out from 8-ohm to 4-ohm (vs. just plugging into the correct output on the Blackhawk) Not tragic I guess, unless you're one of those who has different speakers for different listening. (I'm not.)

The Cronus also provides options for either 4 or 8 ohm speakers. The impedance selected will depend on the speakers used. Consult either the owner’s manual for your speaker or your local dealer to determine the correct choice. The amplifier is factory set to 8 ohm. To switch impedance setting: 1) Using a #2 phillips screwdriver, remove the top cover or deck. 2) Using a 1/2” wrench, remove the outermost nut from the positive (red) binding post. 3) Remove the 8 ohm tap (green wire marked 8) from the binding post. Be careful to leave the black wire with heat shrink on the post. 4) Remove the polyurethane tubing from the unused 4 ohm wire (yellow) and lug. 5) Place the 4 ohm wire onto the binding post and replace the outer nut. 6) Place the polyurethane tubing on the 8 ohm wire and l

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    EricMack likes this.
  15. dadonred

@Benzion, our exchanges seem to be out of sequence. Since I didn't reply directly to you, I wanted to make sure you saw my reply. The Blackhawk SUB OUT is full range and likely can be connected to your headphone amp, apparently. See above.

16. Benzion

I saw, thank you. I also replied to the PM.

17. dadonred

I guess the tubes would have to be removed to do this. So seems like you'd do this during initial installation. Again, not an issue unless you actually want the flexibility to easily connect up to 8-ohm and 4-ohm speakers.

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

We can request either setting from the factory (typically comes set at 8 however). It's a fairly straight forward swap, but you do need to pull the power tubes and take the top chassis plate off.

19. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

My AN E speakers are 6ohms - :) So where the hell is that tap on any amplifier? It doesn't actually matter as much as people think. It's more about the sound you like and on a lot of amplifiers people do tend to like the taps of one or the other better. I've read threads on it. Many minutes of my life I will never get back.

RavenDave and GoldprintAudio like this.
  20. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I would agree with this statement. Having owned the Cronus Magnum and now the Nighthawk Mk2, the Nighthawk just sounds better, so liquid and real. Plus the fact it's self-biasing and runs just luke warm whereas the CM runs pretty darn hot (even hotter is the Line Magnetic 216a...a true scorcher!). I worked with Dave on upgraded tubes and now it's a truly amazing experience in my system.

21. Joe Spivey

Did you upgrade the power tubes as well?

22. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I did not as at the time Dave told me the upgraded front end tubes were the big difference makers. Maybe that has changed but I'm really happy with the tube compliment Dave recommended and sold me!

23. Joe Spivey

Dave knows his stuff! Thanks for the update, I was just curious... From what I understand from Dave, it sounds like the power tubes can last a good amount of time.

dadonred likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If your amp came with the Svetlana Winged Cs be forewarned that they are some of the highest regarded power tubes of their type. They are what give the Raven sound part of its magic.

dadonred likes this.
  25. dadonred

That's what mine were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.