My next turntable: either the RP6 or George Merrill's new PolyTable!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GKH, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

This is what it has come down to for me. I've been to George's shop, and listened to the PolyTable a couple of times. I'm impressed. This deck is still very new. As he told me; it has not been reviewed 'officially' yet. This is his only table now besides the R.E.A.L. 101. It is made right here in Tennessee. He quit making the ES-R1 after a short run. The Gem-Dandy PolyTable is an all new fresh design from the ground up usually mostly polymer. It ships with a Jelco 250 arm. I will probably go with the 9" 750D, if I decide on this table. My Ortofon 2M Bronze will come along, either way. He has a 2M Red mounted on the demo PolyTable in his shop.
    This journey isn't over yet...

2. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Well I'll say this: I once had a Merrill Heirloom which was wonderful, and I now have a Merrill-Williams 101.2 table. The 101.2 (with Schick tonearm, soon I'll have a Triplanar) is the best analog playback I've ever heard (admittedly I've never heard any super mega bucks tables). Although I haven't seen or heard George's new poly table I would always go with a Merrill design over Rega, the guy just knows how to design a turntable. Good luck!

Long Live Analog and McLover like this.
  3. missan

missan Forum Resident

Personally I would evaluate and look into the PolyTable much, much more than I would look into the Rega. I wouldn´t really look at the Rega at all.
    The question would be; how good is the PolyTable, W&F, noise floor, hum, rumble? Also I really believe the Jelco to be a much more versatile arm, and also has fluid damping.

thommo, jupiterboy and timind like this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

What's the price difference between the two tables?

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

+1 on this comment.

missan likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

+100 on the Merrill. George knows how to design great performing, well built, and reliable turntables of enduring merit. He began at Underground Sound in Memphis tweaking the AR turntables, and went from that to building his own turntables. George Merrill is also a super nice gentleman, friendly and helpful. Vinyl Nirvana are major Merrill fans, the owner has one himself. He knows a good turntable from not so good.

Long Live Analog and missan like this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

That is a neat looking little table, sort of like a more graceful project, but I think it'd last a week in my house before it was destroyed. I wish more manufactures would include turntables and maybe add some durability into the design.

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Big difference in price, so I'm surprised those are your choices. I would sure look at that Music hall Ikura (sp)table as it looks like a great value.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

If that's an issue (and it is for many) get a Thorens 124 or 125. Bullet proof.

I have George's Gem Dandy record cleaning system. It's not pretty - like some of his tables - but it beats the heck out of any RCM I've used.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

The polytable appears to be 1500.00 with the jelco 250

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If you really want durable, skip the Thorens and get a QRK, a Russco, or a Gates and get to the heart of the matter. Now those are tanks.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

I must say that from the pictures I have seen on the PolyTable, I cannot see why it can´t be very robust. I´m not saying it is but I cannot see a reason against it.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Love the old thornes. Ive heard a restored 125 and it was very nice. I however got a good deal on an RP6 with 2m Blue and love it. If you want new and need a dustcover and some durability at 1500 it's the only game in town.

14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Well I wouldn't describe any turntable as "very robust" and the lack of a dustcover and very minimal plinth led me to the conclusion that its not up their in the durability department. The most durable TT I have experience with being an SL1200.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

I don´t think we can draw a conclusion that it will lack in durability from the picture.

16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Get a Rega. You'll never have an orphan from Rega. They'll outlive us all.

I like my RP6 with Ortofon 2m Bronze.

jon9091 likes this.
  17. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's one of the reasons I choose the RP6. Wanted new and worry free. Plus the upgrade path is nice if I ever decide to go that route.

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------
    I thought that was the price of the AR table remake and the the Polytable was over $5K?

19. russk

russk Forum Resident

20. timind

timind phorum rezident

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Polytable -- http://www.hifigem.com/polytable.html

starts at $1,495 w/ SA-250 arm; various

Looks like it's basically a variation on the Merrill AR subchassis with some kind of fixed mounting instead of mounted via sprung suspension to a plinth. FWIW, I still use my old Merrill Heirloom and it's a heck of a table, 20+ years old and I'd characterize it as plenty durable. No personal experience w/ the Polytable.

I dunno if he's still making the AR replica. Doesn't seem to be listed on his website.

22. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

This is definitely a plus for Rega. Rega looks like a company with a strong future, where as George's business seems to really be tied to him. When he goes, most likely so will his business. But if sound quality is the only goal I'm still fairly confident in saying that a table designed by George will outperform the vast majority of tables in its respective price range. I'm also a fan of Jelco arms, I have one on an Empire 208.

McLover likes this.
  23. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

This is always a Merrill option. Still on his site.

Merrill Replica ES-R1 Pricing

Solid Mahogany with Jelco Damped 10 inch SA750E tonearm Audioquest wildcat cable

Digital motor Drive (adjustable speed for 33.3 and 45 RPM speed accuracy is 2 parts per million )

$2995.00

[​IMG]

djost likes this.
  24. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

George has stopped making the ES-R1, telling me that most people wanted a more modern design now.
    The PolyTable looks pretty rugged. Of course; it is belt drive. The sub platter features his cork/rubber compound mat that the main platter rides on. So; what the PolyTable and his R.E.A.L. 101 share is the same motor (a motor that George designed & is made in the U.S.), and the RCC mat.
    As a dust cover goes; he told me that he is having one made that will cover the platter section. As far as covering the tonearm, that is little concern to him. Just brush it off ocassionally, he says. A friend of mine also knows someone that makes acrylic dust covers for tables that are relatively inexpensive.
    George is a great guy, for sure. He is happy to just sit back and chat audio, play music, and explain why he does what he does. It's interesting that the only metal in the PolyTable is the spindle shaft, and I believe the mounting plate for the motor.
    The PolyTable is actually made right in his shop in Cordova, TN (less than 20 miles from my house).
    Nest weekend, I'm carrying my Rega RP1 over to his shop to compare it to the PolyTable. I'm also taking my little Rega Fono Mini A2D to compare more accurately. We will connect it to the PolyTable, and take the Sutherland Phono preamp out of the equation.
    George, & I are close to the same age.. I have a feeling any table I now buy will easily out live me! Lol! So; I'm not real concerned about Rega being around longer. :) Rega just celebrated their 40 year anniversary recently. George has been in the TT game since the very early 70s.
    Again; this is a fun journey. And; either way I go, I'm taking my time. This will be the single biggest sum, I've yet to spend on audio gear. And; probably the most I ever will spend.
    For awhile; I was thinking I would just keep enjoying my RP1 for another 4 years, and maybe buy the Oppo BDP-105 now. And; when I retire in 4 years, buy a new turntable. But; now, it's come back full circle. TT first. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Long Live Analog likes this.
  25. missan

missan Forum Resident

Do You know what sort of compound the plastic sheet consist of?

GKH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.