My pick for Pulitzer prize photo winner 2003

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Friends,

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to view a collection of very special photographs taken by men and women from the Dallas Morning News last year while in Iraq.

The 3 dozen or so photographs will be submitted for a Pulitzer prize in the upcoming months. I don't usually consider myself a connoisseur of photography, but the images I viewed struck me with such power that they will not leave my head.

I can only share a few of the images I saw because many were too graphic or emotional to go up on the Dallas Morning News website. I was lucky enough to have someone very close to my local newspaper show me the best looking, most emotional photography I have ever seen in my life. Should this collection win the Pulitzer prize, I hope that people can view some of the more graphic pictures--as they were the ones that gave me a better understanding of what happened half a world away last year.

2. SamS

3. SamS

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

wow.. those are all powerful pictures, particularly the last one.

5. SamS

Much thanks for helping load the pictures, HZ.

There are so many more that will bring you to tears. I am working on getting them. Most were never published and their honesty is rarely seen in mass media outlets.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sam, I'd love to see more. Thanks for posting them. Wow.

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Here's a link to a few others:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/photostore/dmn.in_the_news.1.html

David Leeson is one of the Dallas Morning News photographers who covered Iraq last year. I had the opportunity to see his lecture and slide show several years ago. He is one of the most compassionate, spiritual, and thoughtful photojournalists in the business. His presentation and speech had a room full of grizzled journalists near tears.
    I had decided to give up on photojournalism as a career before seeing his show.

Dan C

8. SamS

Yes! Yes!

Those are some more of the pictures I was looking for!

The one of the 6-year-old girl burned by napalm is so powerful and heart-breaking. Thanks for the link and extra info Dan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.