My Quicksilver full function preamp just died on me with a blown fuse

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ArneW, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

the unit powered up as usual and died within seconds after releasing the "mute" button. I wonder if my recent tube rolling (I swapped one 12AX7 for a NOS RCA 7025) may have something to do with it. Or is this the common sign of the preamp "eating" the 6x4 rectifier tubes? How do I find out, and what should be my next step?

Tanks a lot in advance, as ever

Arne

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Is this an "issue" with these preamps? Do you have a model number, or schematic?

jeff

3. ArneW

Yes, there seems to be an issue with the original rectifier circuit (2 6x4 tubes), which was later replaced by a design using only one 5AR4. Marc Bratton's audioasylum review of this preamp also mentions that early models are reported to go "thru a lot of tubes and fuses" (http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/8/82602.html).

4. ArneW

I replaced the fuse and both 6x4 tubes. The amp is up and running again, but I wonder whether there is a simple way of figuring out which tube went south? These rectifiers used to be cheap, but at $10 a piece I’d rather not dispose of the wrong one.

Arne

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Look at the glass for dark spots.

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

They would need to go into a tester. Given how hard these tubes are run in your preamp, you're probably better off pitching them both out, as the one that measures ok, may not have much life left in it.

jeff

7. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I only replaced my 6X4s once in the time I owned my Quicksilver preamp, and that wasn't from failing but just to see if a rectifier swap would yield any sonic improvements. I never had any outright failures or fuse blowing.

Of course my Quicksilver only saw a few hours of listening per week, so it could be an issue if someone was doing a lot of heavy use.

8. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Your next step should be to call Mike Sanders at Quicksilver.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  9. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I have Quicksilver 88 mono amps. Love them. (CJ preamp.) I have found Mike to good to work with. Send him an email.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Mike is the route to go>

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.