My Rega RP1 + Ortofon 2M Bronze = Love!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GKH, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

My new Ortofon 2M Bronze arrived last Thursday, and I installed it Friday morning. I used 2 1mm stainless washers (stacked) under the tonearm to get the elevation needed.
    Currently, I have about 12-15 hours on the Bronze. It sounds great! To compare it to the OM5e that came preinstalled with the RP1, I will just say, it’s more of everything. Right away, the detail of the highs was improved – more definition. Is it me, or is the soundstage better, as well? :) Keep in mind; the past couple of months, I had been using an OM20 Stylus (which was a nice improvement over the OM5e Stylus).
    In the next couple of weeks, my Jolida JD-302CRC Integrated Amp should be here. They were a little backordered when I placed the order about 2 weeks ago.
    And, I have to thank Bill at Uptown Audio for his great advice, and service! He’s been a pleasure to work with. :righton:

[​IMG]

You can see the washers in this photo. 6 total required for all 3 mounting moints.

[​IMG]

Gso-Rob likes this.
  2. mcjfsn

mcjfsn Forum Resident

Congratulations Greg. May I ask how you came to the conclusion that the washers were required? I have the 2M Bronze on my P5, which was an "upgrade" from my old Planar 3 with the 2M Red. However, since getting these I have found myself less excited about listening to records than I was before - something is missing. I know Regas are not supposed to be messed with - I tried increasing the tracking weight with no effect - but I have been wondering about VTA and have read many opposing opinions about doing this. Before spending lots of money on a TT-PSU or the Groovetracer upgrades, perhaps a few cents on washers might work?

Thanks for listening

Cheers
    Martin

3. GKH

Martin: Hello! And, thanks! I'm certainly no expert, and don't claim to be. :) With the Bronze, adding the washers - thus raising the back of the tonearm, allows the arm to be more level while the stylus is resting on the record. The Bronze clears the record by maybe a mm, or so. Without the washers, the Bronze would probably be dragging on the LP.
    And, I had previously read on several threads where folks added the washers when adding a larger cartridge to the RP1 for that reason.
    Hope this helps.

Gso-Rob likes this.
  4. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I'm using an Ortofon 2M Bronze on a P5 without any spacers and really love the combo.

To my eyes at least, my tonearm looks perfectly straight with about a mm or so of clearance from the LP to the cartridge body. For that reason I never really gave any thought to needing spacers. As well when I asked my local Rega dealer about using them with my set up they said they could order spacers for me if I really wanted them, but they advised me not to.

I know most forum members here believe in using spacers on Rega turntables when using non-Rega cartridges. The 2M line looks created for Regas specifically, so I always figured perhaps they are an exception?

Congrats on your new cart-I found the 15-20 hour mark was where my 2M Bronze really broke in and started to shine.

5. helter

helter Forum Resident

I just ordered the Ortofon 2M Blue with a Rega RP1 turntable. Hoping this is a great combo also. Should arrive next week

Gso-Rob likes this.
  6. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I used to have a 2M Bronze on my Planar 3. Tons of detail and a great tracker. It's undoubtedly a HUGE upgrade over your old OM5e. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

7. GKH

Thanks everyone! Being back into vinyl has really been fun! And, I'm really enjoying doing the additions in steps. :) I think, I'll really have a better appreciation for the improvements this way, as well.

8. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Congrats on the new TT.

9. Renato_CWB

Renato_CWB Member

I've had the dragging problem even with the original OM-5E and it seems that I am not the only one. First the local distributor insisted on a cartridge exchange (with another OM-5E), but the problem continued. They then provided me with a spacer which I installed at 2mm, which resolved the issue. Later I replaced the the OM-5E with the 2M series but I imagine that if I uninstalled the spacer, the problem would very likely reappear. Don't know if there is any kind of project issue with the RP1 specifically. The photo below shows the spacer and the 2M Blue installed.

[​IMG]

Yes, it is certainly a great combination. I have chosen the 2M Blue for the simple reason that my wonderful speakers are "old fashioned" with silk dome midrange and tweeter, so I was looking for a relatively bright sounding cartride. I have never tested, bue I can imagine that with metal based midrange and tweeter drivers it might sound a little harsh, but as I said, that is just a guess of mine.

Anyhow, I really believe that the 2M series are a great option for the Rega entry level TTs and I would very much like to have the opportunity one day of listening a Bronze or even Black. :thumbsup:

10. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

How do you know if you have a "dragging" problem and need to adjust the VTA?

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Congrats! :cheers:

12. Renato_CWB

Renato_CWB Member

Simple, the lower back end of the cartridge occasionaly hits the record surface, principally with thicker records (ex. 180gr) and/or light undulation (is that the correct english term??) of the record. :thumbsup:

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Bill is indeed a great. no-BS dealer. I've bought a few items from him over the past coupla years and his service was exceptional and his prices competitive. He gave me excellent recommendations and advice, and I have been very happy with my purchases.

Before ordering online from other vendors, I suggest checking first with Bill:
    www.uptownaudio.com

14. GKH

Indeed. And, I verified everything with a couple of my 180 & 200 gram LPs. The approximate 2mm washers assured clearance. And, Rega offers a spacer, as well. I think it's about $30. My stainless washers cost me about $2 at Lowes.

When I bought the washers, I just eyeballed the thickness to be about 1mm. So; I stacked 2 under each tonearm mounting point. 5 washers came in each pack. I bought 2 packs. Below is the package info, if anyone is interested.

Hillman
    Flat washers
    Stainless

15. GKH

Well said, action pact! :righton:

16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Look at the Ortofon cartridge manual or Ortofon website. They recommend having the cartridge level with the record surfsce. Just examine the top of the cartridge and look to see that it is level with the record. If the back of the cartridge touches the record surface, you have something worse than a "dragging" problem!

17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

These nylon washers cost less than a dollar.

[​IMG]

18. GKH

nice! :righton:

19. GKH

Here are a couple of better photos showing the 2M Bronze on an LP..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JavierAr likes this.
  20. Paranoid_Android

After you installed the washers/spacers under the Tonearm, did you guys have to Re-Align the cartridge?

21. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Yes the effective length will change.

22. GKH

I installed the washers after removing the old cartridge, and before installing the Bronze. So; I set it initially with the arm base raised.

23. thommo

thommo Senior Member

If the eff. length does change it'll be minimal, but it's always best to recheck alignment, especially with the sharper profile of the line contact on the Bronze.

24. Paranoid_Android

ok, thanks.

I don't know if I need to raise the Tonearm on my RP1. I currently have the Ortofon 2M Red on my RP1, and I don't see the cartridge hitting the record ever. I also have a Glass Platter on my RP1 and it may sit lower than the original platter that it came with. I'll do some measurements tonight.

25. helter

helter Forum Resident

What is the exact difference in sound between the bronze, red and blue?
    Why the price difference also?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.