My Rega RP1 TT doesn't play 45 RPM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TMelos, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMelos

TMelos New Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I think that's gonna be the plan. Definitely gonna give these 33 rpms a nice long listen before handing her over though lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.

2. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

When you did whatever you did with a washer to hold the motor up, and the 45 setting worked alright, did the 33 setting still work OK? If so, why don't you just leave it like that?

3. TMelos

Well I kind of had to hold the washer under it, I'm sure I could figure out a way to ghetto rig it to stay up, but I'm not sure if I want to do that due to probable increased engine wear and wear on the plastic on the spindle itself. Although I guess I could try something less solid than metal, but the thought of having to rig up a $600 TT to work correctly makes me scratch my head.

4. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Subplatter WAAAYYY to high - pop it out then back in and push down --- also with the actual glass on top it might make a difference - but should not need to!

What is all the noise in the background of that video ???????

5. TMelos

Yes, apologies for the noise, my phone is really crappy, and doesn't hand even small noises like a fan well lol.

I've popped out the subplatter multiple times and put it back in, even took out the ball bearing once to give it even more room, it still hasn't helped one bit.

Although whenever the ball bearing is out it must be slightly lower because the belt will get caught underneath it instead of just flying underneath like before.

Whenever I raise the motor some it still gets dangerously close to slipping off, I wonder if the motor is to low AND the subplatter is to high? Idk, these are all theories, only conclusion I've come to is that my model is definitely defective lol.

And what exactly do you mean by glass on top? Are you talking about the platter?

6. TMelos

Just tried without the ball bearing and with motor raised, and on the 45 rpm setting it does what the 33 rpm setting does normally, slip down towards the bottom then shoot back up. And the 33 RPM setting almost seems to high, but it slips down some, then back up, and so on.

So it almost does seem like my subplatter is to high and my motor is to low. Does anyone know exactly what purpose the ball bearing serves?

7. alanb

alanb Senior Member

So it almost does seem like my subplatter is to high and my motor is to low. - BINGO!

Ball bearing helps subplatter spin freely.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Fiddle with it a bit, but do not do anything that will jeopardize your warranty. You should not have to be going through any of this. Can you bring it to where you got it or does it have to be shipped? FWIW, I'm a Rega p1 owner of 5 years and have the upgrades plus a new subplatter. I've not experienced anything like this.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. TMelos

Sadly I had it shipped, but I did contact the supplier today. But I took out the ball bearing, and slid a credit card under the spindle/motor thing a bit to raise it up some and I am now enjoying the first 45 RPM vinyl on my RP1.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Or am I fine to keep doing this. Of course the ideal thing would be to send it back, which I might do, but as for right now I got a bunch of new vinyl on the way, and I couldn't imagine being without my TT when they arrive.

10. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

+1. Unless it's a huge deal to return it, take/send it back. It obviously wasn't right when it came from the factory. You could probably mess with it until it works OK, but Rega owes you a correctly built table. What if you get it to work, and three months from now it starts throwing belts again? And you're warranty is blown because you messed with it?

BTW, I think your subplatter should be lower, rather than your motor higher. And your motor still doesn't look straight.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Send it back. No question. The sooner the better.

12. I know the temptation to want to keep the TT is strong and you're looking for a way whereby you can hold on to it, but it's a MISTAKE if you do.

RETURN IT. YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

macster likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Rega want shooting for this QC. Of course the deck could have been shunted in transit. Send it back to supplier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.