My review: KEF LS50 vs. Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

This is my re-veneered SX-780 when it was doing duty at my office:

[​IMG]

And a video of the recent repair, by the tech who worked on it:

I seem to have received a set with an especially nice-looking veneer, based on the comments in the other Dentons thread.

2. Flyquail56

Flyquail56 Forum Resident

Yes, they are very nice looking. Looks like a walnut crotch veneer.

action pact likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks for the pics; mine are the mahogany. :)

4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

5. action pact

I hooked the Dentons back up to the Fisher tubes after spending the past week with the LS50's exclusively. I listened for a while to the LS50's and swapped the speakers midway through playing the same recording.

The Dentons must be loosening up because they are starting to sound really good. I immediately noticed how smooth - yet detailed - the top-end is, and how wonderfully meaty the mids and upper bass are. Overall clarity and imaging has improved quite a bit as they continue breaking in. They are also quite a bit more dynamic - and yet smoother - than the LS50's.

6. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

As an aside, I'm thinking about wiping down my Dentons with some lemon oil, just to make that wood grain totally pop. Has anyone tried this yet?

7. action pact

Try it first on the bottom!

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Has anyone had any trouble with or does not like the design of the binding posts on the Denton? I haven't seen them in person but from the pictures it looks to me like the connectors are at an odd angle.

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

If you like to use spade connectors, this sort of "off-set" post makes it a bit easier to use (they don't get in the way of each other or hit the lower posts).

10. action pact

Spade connectors:

[​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

These are excellent speakers. I am enjoying mine. I switch between them and my Lascalas. The Dentons work well with my new Yamaha A-S3000 integrated.

12. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

OK, I tried it, but there is apparently a coat of sealant which won't allow the oil to penetrate. Oh well.

13. action pact

I thought that might be the case... probably some poly clearcoat.

14. action pact

I am about to move this discussion in a different direction.

I've been reading about the controversial topic of bi-wire jumpers and whether or not to replace the factory-supplied set. I decided to go ahead and order two pair of AntiCable 2.1 jumpers, which I received yesterday.

Swapping the jumpers undeniably changes things, of this there is no doubt. My immediate observation is it sounded more open and clear; at first I wasn't sure if the sound was being thinned out.

Just now, in order to better evaluate them, I interrupted what I was listening to and swapped the original jumper plates back in. What I observed is the tonality didn't change - they didn't sound thicker or have more bass with the original jumpers - but there was an undeniable gauzy haze layered on top. What I had perceived initially as a thinning with the AntiCable jumpers was in actuality greater transparency.

So far so good...

[​IMG]

bradleyc, Manimal, bajaed and 2 others like this.
  15. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am still surprised of the sheer musical impact the LS 50 bring forward at higher volumes, esp. when I add my subwoofer. From symphonies tp heavy Rock to modern electronics or innovative Hip Hop by RUN THE JEWELS, WALE or others to DUB. I don't miss bigger floor standers. This is a speaker that sounds realistic enough for a monitor and nice enough for hours and hours of constant music pleasure. Still looking great as well.

16. action pact

I've observed this as well!

The Dentons are harder than the LS50's to integrate with a sub so far... but now that I have "cleaned up" the sound with new jumpers, I might try using the sub again.

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

RTJ3 sounds brilliant on the LS50s!

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
  18. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Fixed that for ya ;)

Robert C likes this.
  19. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm going to buying a pair of the 80th Anniversary Dentons for my computer/DAC setup (a Schiit Valhalla II will be the preamp) for editing needle drops. I'll need a compact amp to drive them. What do you guys think of the Parasound Zamp v3? Does it have enough b@lls to drive these properly? Or do you have a recommendation for a compact amp under $400? I'll be listening in very close quarters. Thanks. Here are the specs on the Zamp:

Continuous power output:
    45 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, both channels driven
    60 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, both channels driven
    Total harmonic distortion:
    < 0.07 % full power
    < 0.02 % typical levels
    S/N Ratio:

116 dB, input shorted, IHF A weighted
    Frequency response:
    5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB

20. action pact

60 watts @ 4ohms should be A-OK.

Cliff likes this.
  21. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my LS50s. Been in the game a long time and this is actually one of my favorite speakers of all time. Use mine with various vintage tube gear. My previous king for most of my life was the LS3/5s. In the optimum size room and placed properly they are just stupendous but are really room dependent and highly revealing of whatever you are driving them with, really easy to hear subtle differences between amps, carts, and preamps wth these. The only other speaker that I love as much as these are my classic JBL L166s, flawed yes but in my opinion the best example of what made these JBLs of the era so revered but refined a bit as well.

22. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Received my Dentons earlier today. I bought a perfect pair of demos so they're already worn in. For my setup, they're exactly what I was looking for. Smooth highs, lush mids and even better punch than I was expecting. Very happy with them so far. Here's a pic of these beauties. Sorry it's a bit dark.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Shiver like this.
  23. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

What are the blue isolation pads everything is sitting on?

24. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

EVA Anti-Vibration Pads. Not going to win any style awards but my desk is wood and glass. So I wanted to make sure everything important was isolated from it.

25. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Looks like 3 X 3 inch EVA pads, firm but they do get the job done. I use AR foam practice pucks with gear less than 40 lbs, and use 4 X 4 inch EVA pads under racks and speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.