My review: KEF LS50 vs. Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Heh. Fair enough. Here's a case where on paper, at least to my admittedly inexperienced eye, where the 225s look like they'd be a better speaker than the Dentons. And, virtually without exception, the 225s are being universally lauded and winning awards, but the Wharfedale email rep matter of factly, if a bit tersely, declared the Dentons better. It's kind of fascinating to me.

bluemooze and Helom like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the 225s are a good speaker, not great by any means but yet the value leader that i discovered during a demo at music direct over a year ago and recommened to people for their price range. they became stereophiles budget speaker of the year. they have controlled cabinet resonance that colors the midrange quite a bit but with a character that is interesting and likable. the treble is sweet and also interesting. their biggest virtue is that they are not fatiguing. however they are in no way a resolving, transparent window into the music. you really do get what you pay for.

Art K, Mateo Sanboval and Helom like this.
  3. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Great review, I’ve always wondered and you’ve confirmed I made the right decision for my tastes with the Denton’s. Same purchase price as yours too, so a bargain!

action pact likes this.
  4. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Some have also reported that the dentons were the better speakers after a side by side comparison with the 225s... So let's just say they are different and one costs more than the other.

5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

One thing that strikes me as a big difference is the finish. While the 225 is a vinyl wrap, the Denton claims "hand-veneered mahogany". This has to be as major expense which is a big part of the original MSRP and perhaps a bigger part of the current price difference than any other component. It's a truly gorgeous speaker that looks as warm is its reputed sound.

Robert C likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I recently switched to bi-wiring them, and that has yielded a significant upgrade!

JoeSmo, 33na3rd and bluemooze like this.
  7. Mateo Sanboval

I've definitely heard that from a few folks here at SH, but I haven't yet read that from a professional reviewer. I'm not valuing one over the other mind you, I come here for my information and advice after all, but I would be interested to read a proper review that put these speakers side by side.
    The Dentons are rare beauties of that there is no doubt.

JoeSmo likes this.
  8. action pact

FWIW, I just bought a pair of Spendor SP3/1R2's (typical retail price: $3195), and as wonderful as they are, it hasn't made me feel like the Dentons are a "lesser" speaker. I still think they sound beautiful (now paired with a Rega Brio-R upstairs in the bedroom).

Check out the gorgeous burl on my walnut-finished Dentons...

[​IMG]

matteos, Kristofa, Daedalus and 8 others like this.
  9. Mateo Sanboval

Oh, you show-off.

timind and action pact like this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Maybe they are fine in person, but from all the pictures I've seen the Wharfedale binding posts look like a pain in the rear.

11. action pact

Not especially, no.

[​IMG]

Daedalus, bluemooze and bruce2 like this.
  12. The Dentons do look very, very nice.

13. Mateo Sanboval

Has anyone checked out, or even found much information on, the Denton 85th Anniversary speakers? I read somewhere a while back that they were going to have a 6.5" driver and, form the few pictures I've seen, that may very well be the case. Curious to read any impressions or reviews, but haven't come across any yet.

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

Wharfedale - Denton 85th Anniversary Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

Let's refrain from hyping this one until they slash the price 50%

bluemooze and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  15. Mateo Sanboval

16. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

17. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

One of you rich boys needs to bite the retail bullet and check out the 85ths for the good of your fellow pilgrims!

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

Agreed. Also, the pics show black grills but the description claims titanium grills like the 80ths

19. action pact

ThorensSme likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

When I recently switched the Dentons into my bedroom, paired again with my SX-880 I also bi-wired them. While ideal placement isn't possible in our bedroom still I too immediately noticed a positive difference.

action pact and ThorensSme like this.
  21. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Dunno about the 85th version, but I love my Dentons. Insanely good.

Robert C and action pact like this.
  22. Mateo Sanboval

My hope is that they had to "skimp" on the veneer in order to get the new guts in at under 1K. Dare to dream...

23. Mateo Sanboval

I think they claim a "traditional tungsten cloth grille".

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

How so? :)

25. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Denton 85’s.......offset tweeters, never got on with them. ProAc being my sole experience. Can’t help but think these new Denton’s will be better than the 80’s but probably not a massive upgrade? Can’t wait to read the reviews as the write-ups on the 80’s were actually, spot-on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.