My Sister Just Ordered a Bose Wave 3.....Tell Me About it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by houston, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Many people will crap on Bose (deservedly so)
    BUT, this is your Sister! Support Her!! She paid $500+, and it might've been a big purchase for her...
    Yes, they are a little boomy, dubious specs, but help her set it up in non-boomy non-echo-ey manner
    (careful placement from walls, corners, etc).
    Help her setup iPod dock, radio presets, alarms, learn the remote, burn her a few cool CD's of her faves.
    Show your sister a brothers love, don't rain on her parade, there are bigger things to worry about.
    Make her feel happy, just flow with it...

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Don't they sell a bunch of these on QVC like channels? My condo manager just one bought off them because it was "easy" & she needed a music player.

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Verily, there's no accounting for taste.

I agree that the horse has left the barn and that sis will want affirmation-- and she's got the tailwind that is Bose's inflated reputation behind her. The best you can do at this point is let her know that there are sonically superior alternatives-- if and only if she expresses ambivalence about what she hears.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I like that! Vs. "No Highs, No Lows... Must Be Bose."

Add that one to Maggotbox, Harman-Kardboard, and so many others...

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They're overpriced. And that's all I have to say about that.

6. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

as long as she is happy with the purchase then she did well. Enjoy!

7. DDDiscs

DDDiscs Senior Member

I was given one of these close to 30 years ago as a work bonus. For it's size it sounded great then and still does. I've got 5 systems set up in different areas but this little box still has it's uses and I enjoy listening to it.

I agree with what has already been said. Your sister already made her decision so don't say anything that will take away from her enjoyment of her purchase. If she's not happy with it let her decide on her own and opt to return it. Simply posing the fact the some people didn't like what she bought will make her critical and detract from her experience.

[​IMG]

mj_patrick likes this.
  8. An
    And she doesn't have to wash and dry her friggen discs..

9. JBlowme

JBlowme New Member

They sound great. She'll love it.

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

That's the worst part, the Bose doesn't play vinyls.

11. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I have a similar clock radio about 15 years old (before they added a CD transport), same color. Say what you want about Bose (and I would probably agree with 99% of it), but I do think they make a good clock radio that is actually quite pleasant to wake up to. I've demo'd other radios and haven't found one I like as much.

12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I've always wondered if Dr. Lucas (Prince of Darkness) had something to do with their electronics.
    Regards, Sam :cool:

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You mean "vynils."

To be fair, at a networking event sponsored by my company (we're a publisher of an industry magazine) we plugged an iPod into a Bose, and it did work very well. I was surprised by how much clean power it pumped out into a fairly large, crowded room, and it sounded pretty decent. I can understand why folks love these things.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Ive heard one numerous times at relatives house, and ya its good in a way, and not so good in another way, if one listens somewhat critically. Better than many boomboxes etc, BUT, most boomboxes are not multi hundred dollars either.

So its okay sound wise, but for the price.....hmmm

Ive heard some Ipod docks that for sure sound better at the $150-$300 Range....and im talking better for sure.

I think they have a somewhat limited clientele with this device. It looks great, works great, has good sound, but not great, but just costs too darn much.

If it was $250.00 it would be considered pretty darn good!

15. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

We have them in the kitchen and a bathroom. Nice little CD/Radio. :thumbsup:

Steve

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

This is Bose, so of course the issue is, how much is a good clock radio worth? I've got a birthday coming up and if someone wants to give me one, great. I just can't see paying the suggested retail given the SQ.

17. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

My Mom has one of these and the CD transport has never quite worked right, and has issues recognizing discs from time to time.
    As for sound quality, I find the mid range almost non existent, as some have mentioned. Also, when turned up to a higher volume the sound becomes congested.

jeffsab likes this.
  18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The one I liked : "Bose, better sound through marketing":eek:

xilef regnu and Vidiot like this.
  19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

So you don't feel their clock radios have good sound quality for the cost, which I can respect, but if you were to get one for free.. you'd apparently use it?

If someone gave me a Bose Lifestyle system -something I don't personally care for in terms of sound quality- for free, I still wouldn't use it..

20. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I agree with this completely. We've had one for about 10 years that my wife won in a contest and I welcome the day it dies so I can buy a B&W Zeppelin. That's what she should have spent her money on.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Man, you're tough....

I like my clock radio to be so annoying, it forces me to get up.

mj_patrick likes this.
  22. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

How might the Bose compare to the $300 Yamaha TSX-112?

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The Bose Wave Radios, at least, are voiced to sound their best at low-to-moderate volume level. Which makes sense, because their main clientele are people who are not going to crank it up....so if it sounds full and deep and doesn't need to be loud, it has accomplished its sonic goals. Audiophiles should also like the units because they don't have those pesky, low-fi tone controls.

24. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Does it elevate someone's social status around here to put down Bose products?
    Is Crosley a better alternative? :laugh:

Steve

macster likes this.
  25. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

I suspect (I've used a PAL for about 10 years) that Tivoli Audio's table products would sound better and last longer.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.