My small, but growing, Paul McCartney collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

TL; DW: I started collecting vinyl a year or two ago, and Im mainly a Beatles collector, but right now Im working on Macca. I currently have Red Rose Speedway, Venus and Mars, Back to the Egg, McCartney, Wings Over America, Wings at the Speed of Sound, Londontown, Wings Greatest, and a few more I cant remember off the top of my head. Whats funny is that I personally think Im missing his best albums, like McCartney II, Ram, Band on the Run, etc. The reason for this is because, as Im sure many of you know, I hate the new McCartney Archive vinyl reissues and the ugly bar that runs down the side, which ruins the artwork.

Hope you all enjoyed. I know its small, but I thought it would still be cool to share :D

Fleet Fox, rxcory, Mazda and 22 others like this.
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

3. raq0915

Well thankya!

theMess likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Had no idea the US 12" of "Goodnight Tonight" had the picture cover!
    I've got to see your discs!
    And..... you DON'T LIKE "..EGG"?!?!?!?!
    :yikes:

5. raq0915

Its an okay album ;)

6. vince

Are these all 'first editions'?
    US, or 'imports'?

7. raq0915

To tell you the truth, I dont know the year each of these were pressed, but Im gonna assume they are all US pressings, probably first? Not sure.

8. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Interesting video. I'm gonna check out your one on George, too. It's so nice to see the younger generation into this music, particularly on physical product like vinyl. Keep up the good work, Sir!

9. I have all of his WINGS albums and from his SOLO albums I stopped at Press To Play. I lost interest after that.

10. raq0915

Thank you! My George collection, IIRC, at the time of that recording was nearly complete. Also, the audio was really quiet for that video, so you'll have to turn your volume up. Thanks for watching!

11. raq0915

Thats really a shame because NEW (his most recent album) is fantastic.

paulewalnutz and AJK74 like this.
  12. vince

I pretty sure the "Greatest" had just the one pressing....
    I, too, had bought it, as a gateway... when it was actually released, of course.
    It was the only way to collect the 'non-album' songs back then.
    But, as I said in other of your threads, by the time I got serious, his entire catalogue had been moved to CBS!
    Thinking back to that time, I wonder now if those version have more value!

raq0915 likes this.
  13. I might get around to it one day, but for now I'm good. My focus has been more on expanding my collection of Prog and World music. I love Paul though and he gets a good amount of playback on my system. :)

14. raq0915

At the very least give the song New and Save Us a chance; two of my favorite songs from the album

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. I have Band On The Run and a CD-R (best-of-the-rest type) that a friend made me! :righton:

raq0915 likes this.
  16. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

This everchanging world in which we're livin'...

I'm glad II has gotten a critical reappraisal!

ohnothimagen and drasil like this.
  17. raq0915

I think I am one of the few people on the planet that like Temporary Secretary!

18. vince

'IRL' (as you kids say), that's likely true....
    but HERE, you're far from alone!

fallbreaks likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very cool!! I've been keeping up with the majority of the McCartney re-issues (I'm being much more selective as 70's came to a close)because they actually sound excellent. But I have to agree on that generic sidebar...ugly, not necessary, and gets in the way of the cover art.

raq0915 and willy like this.
  20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Not true! I've loved that song ever since I first picked up McCartney II as a 9-year old in the summer of 1980. Also, I got a co-worker (he's 30) who usually listens to hip-hop into the song, so the song is not without its fans! :righton:

drasil likes this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The sidebar looks better on the small CD covers than LP. It becomes overbearing. I have all his vinyl albums up to "Driving Rain". Not sure if Chaos and Memory will recieve the archive reissue in my lifetime.

22. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Certainly not if that assassin I hired does his damn job already! :eek:

;)

the sands likes this.
  23. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I think 2010 was the year folks discovered 'temporary secretary.' virtually every mix I received that year had that song on it.

these days, it's downright mainstream. McCartney II has taken its (seriously deserved) place as one of his best records in the minds of the cognoscenti. I wouldn't say it's gone 'full ram,' but it's pretty close. I know more than a few people who only have those two albums of his.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    driverdrummer and daveidmarx like this.
  24. raq0915

I know a lot of people dont like it, in fact, during the McCartney concert I was at, everyone went to the hot dog stands when he started play Temporary Secretary lol

driverdrummer likes this.
  25. raq0915

Dont even get me started on that sidebar... My blood starts to boil just thinking about it ;)

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.