My Stereo upgrade thoughts so far.......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoman076, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

Even though I haven't auditioned any components yet, here is what I'm thinking right now:

Phono - VPI Scout w/ JMW 9 tonearm, and Shure V15 cartridge

Pre-amp - Mcintosh C42

Amp - Mcintosh MC202

Speakers - Meadowlark Ospreys

I have the MC202 arriving shortly, and I saw the C42 on the Mcintosh website paired with the 202. They sure look cool together! The C42 also has a MM phono stage already built in.

None of my choices are set in stone, but this is where my brain is at today.

2. audio

audio New Member

I would recommend listening to Jean Marie Reynaud speakers before purchasing the Meadowlarks. The Reynauds are a similar animal to the Meadowlarks, but worlds better. Quite simply, they are the finest loudspeakers in the world.

3. Geoman076

I'll look into them prix, thanks!!

George

4. Geoman076

The Reynaud website says that their only US dealer is in New York City. I might be able to give them a listen when I visit family out on Long Island.

5. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I have not heard anyone using a shure on the Scout. I think most, including the maufacturer, have recommended the Dynavector. But then again there are thousands of combination out there. good luck.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

You'll love the Macs. I have the MC202 paired with the C15 preamp driving my B&W N802s (speakers you should consider - quite wonderful). The Macs are great - really rich, warm almost tubelike sound.

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Would you listening room support planars? If it would, I suggest you audition Martin Logan, Magnepan, and others. The "planar" experience is one you either love or hate, but as someone who loves it (I have Apogee Duetta Signatures) I heartily recommend giving planars a listen.

Why would you decide on (and buy) the amplification before the speakers

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Good choice on the Scout, I have one and love it. I'd be interested to hear how a Shure v15 sounds on it. If anyone has heard this combo.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I hope you can get the Shure at a good price, because I think I'd look at a different cartridge down the track. I've never been convinced by the sound of the Shure v15 - just not my cup of tea. A good backup I suppose. But I would think about a more proven combination - and the Dynavector is proven. This is one area where you want to let the manufacturer lead you.

I think you can do much better than a Mac. The phono stage of that pre-amp is limiting. Only mm, loading fixed at 47kOhms, 65 pF. Some reports say that the phono stage of that mac is weak.

And the preamp has far too many bells and whistles - an equalizer? Yuk. How much do you think you'd pay for the mac preamp? I know it may seem like a good match for the power amp, but I wouldn't let that influence me. I don't know your price range just yet, but if you could get a phono stage from one of the more dedicated manufacturers (Tom Evans, Hagerman) I think you will get superior sound.

As far as prix's comments on the JM Reynaud's, I have the Twin Mk IIIs and they are a very fine speaker for $850. How much are the Ospreys?

Regards,
    Geoff

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I have to disagree about the phono stage (if you're cartridge is mm). I have the C15, which is the same as the C42 but with fewer bells and whistles and only one tape loop and has the same phono stage. I've found it to sound really wonderful. I have a Linn Sondek, and it sounds great.

11. Geoman076

hmmmmm...... lots more to think about.

The Ospreys are $3000 new, but I would be looking for a used pair. I like the idea that they are all wood, and they look neat. I'm still going to listen to the paradigm studio 100 v2's to see if a metal tweeter makes that much of a difference to me.

I was thinking of the preamp prior to the speakers because once I get my MC202, I either have to buy or borrow a preamp in order to listen to music with it. My current receiver has no "line out".

I read that Sckott recommended the Shure, but did not hear that it was not a good match for the Scout. I'm still thinking about getting a better turntable, since vinyl is my first listening choice.

Concerning the C42, I read that someone who was into the bad quality vinyl of the 80's (like myself), liked the EQ, so he could adjust the records according to his taste. I realize that if I were to get it, I would probably have to get a proper phono stage anyway. The C42 and the MC202 look so darn cool together though!

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The C42 is a wonderful preamp. The tone controls are the very best, because if you put them in the "centered" position, the are completely out of the signal path because they have a gas relay switch so the signal stays absolutely pure. Tone controls certainly come in handy for certain recordings, and their adjustable range is pretty good.

Plus, the cosmetics with your MC202 will be a match made in heaven :)

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Geoman, Check with VPI and see what they think of the V15 and 9 arm combination. You want to be sure it works mechanically. I would say stay with an MM and use the phone stage in the pre-amp. If later you decide to go to an MC you can always buy a better phono stage and run it into one of the line level inputs.

14. audio

audio New Member

There are Reynaud dealers all over the country. The New York dealer on the website is the US distributor. Call them and they can direct you to a dealer in your area.

15. audio

audio New Member

The Twins are indeed a phenominal speaker. The Reynaud line just gets better and better the higher up you go. So far I've heard the Twin, Arpeggione, and I'm currently running a pair of Cantabiles. I just bought a used pair of Euterpes and they are mind blowing. Unfortunately, I am spoiled by these speakers. I will NEVER use another brand of speaker in my life. The Reynauds simply do too many things right. I've never been transported into the music like this before, EVER. M. Reynaud is a genius. Meadowlarks disappear and they are a wonderful speaker, but without starting an explosion, all I am going to say is that I've found them to have too many weak points.

16. Vedric

Vedric New Member

Geoman076,
    I use an MC202 with B&W N803's. My experience with this amp has been enjoyable. If I had to pick a nit, I guess it would be with the soft plastic hexcaps used to secure speaker wire to the binding post. I like to really snug up my connections and the plastic is so soft it makes this difficult without marking up or even stripping the plastic. A minor annoyance..

Sound characteristics of this amp in my system are full bodied richly textured bass. Midrange is recessed but smooth and natural. Treble I would report as neutral. I think the full bodied bass for its size is where this amp gets its warm overall balance.

I don't have much experience with the McIntosh pre's except to say that I would look into the C46. Its a newer design and uses the new fiber optic lighting system. It has the 8 band EQ also.

You may want to look into Vandersteen speakers which are also time and phase coherent like the Meadowlarks. I've not heard these but many people swear by time and phase coherent speakers. I'm going to be auditioning Thiels and Vandersteens within the next couple weeks. Long drive...

Sounds like the beginnings of a potentially great system to me. Enjoy

Vedric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.