My Three Sons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jun 12, 2017.

1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

I did a search on the forum and nothing came up about this show. I'll admit I had never watched a single episode until about 2 weeks ago. I knew of the show but had never watched it. Then I saw a promo on MeTV that it would be coming up on the schedule. I told my wife I heard it was a good family show and I would set up the DVR to record it. Before I knew it there were about 15 episodes on the DVR that I had not watched. My wife pointed out there were a bunch on there and i needed to delete them or start watching. I almost deleted and thought "I don't have time". Then I thought "I DO have time, it's less than 30 min I can knock two of these out in less than an hour".

So we started watching and love this show! So glad I didn't delete them. Even my kids (7 and 15) have started watching with us. I am also glad they are showing the episodes in order (as far as I can tell). My wife and I both like William Frawley better as Bub than as Fred.

I am hoping MeTV shows all of the seasons, 2 episodes a day. I think we have 3 left on the DVR to watch (and after this morning it will be 2 more).

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I haven't really watched it since it ran on Nick At Nite in the 80's but I remember liking it.

AppleCorp3 and BNell like this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The syndication package has been the black and white episodes plus the last 2 seasons in one package, and all of the other seasons in the other. I hope that has been fixed, as it can be very confusing going from Mike, Robbie, and Chip to Robbie (missing most of the last 2 seasons but mentioned) Chip, Ernie, and all of the wives and new kids. Decades channel just finished a weekend marathon of this show yesterday. It is a fine show most of the time. The filming method of this show is quite unusual. As Fred MacMurray was a film star prior to My Three Sons, he had a provision in his My Three Sons contract that all of his scenes on that series were to be shot in two separate month-long production blocks and filmed first. This forced all other cast members to act out scenes to blank air and to keep all hairstyles the same for the duration of each season for continuity. I believe Brian Keith had a similar provision in his contract for Family Affair (both produced by Don Fedderson).

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I had fond memories of My Three Sons so I bought season 1 & 2 dvd's, it's not as watchable as I remembered it. If its supposed to be a comedy I'm not seeing any laugh out loud moments.

Electric likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's no "I Love Lucy" or anything but really how many shows of that era were? I just remember it being a pleasant diversion for a half hour.

showtaper, forthlin and MikeInFla like this.
  7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The first couple of seasons were a bit clumsy, with the actors talking over each other in the living room and kitchen. I think they wanted to be more like a real life family, but it was difficult to follow. By season 3, this was straightened out, and it flowed much better.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yes, also Barbara Stanwyk as well, IIRC

9. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

When I was a kid My Three Sons was a weekly thing around my house.
    I think my parents were first attracted to it because of Fred MacMurray and William Frawley.
    It was one of our regular shows until William Frawley and Tim Considine (Spin and Marty) left.

10. MikeInFla

From what I read William Frawley loved the show and didn't really want to leave. I believe he left for health reasons and they didn't want to pay the insurance.

11. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

From what I've read that's what happened. :agree:

Joel1963 and MikeInFla like this.
  12. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I always thought William Demarest was a poor substitute for William Frawley, and had little use for him until I discovered him as one of the regulars in Preston Sturges' films. Now I think Demarest is one of the funniest human beings ever.

G E, rtalwani, audiomixer and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr. Fernando

Mr. Fernando Forum Resident

First and Second Seasons weren't the best seasons, IMO. I may be in the minority but I really enjoy the later seasons (not the last two as much but the middle to later seasons. Once it hit its stride, it becomes very enjoyable, family entertainment with a I don't enjoy the show as a laugh out loud comedy.

This does need a DVD box set. I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's better than watching a PBS fundraiser. Fred MacMurray's strangely halting delivery and mannerisms get weirder as time goes on. Here's their idea of hip:

Ignatius and Suncola like this.
  15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

nah nah nah nah....nah nah nah nah.....

Welcome ear-worm. Please don't overstay your welcome.

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I envy those US viewers. The last time `My Three Sons' aired on a Canadian television
    station was.....well, probably back when the series originally aired.

Karnak and carrick doone like this.
  17. MikeInFla

You can't get MeTV there? I fnd that odd for some reason.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Tina Cole was a actually a real singer and had an album out with her group, the Four King Cousins.

19. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Whenever this show comes on I can't help but think of these lyrics. Nick At Night did some really great stuff back in the day.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've got it somewhere. It was on Capitol. There was a big buzz about it because of a David Axelrod connection that wasn't actually there. I can't remember much good about it.

When Ernie became the third 'son' the show went downhill fast. Chad or Jeremy was in one episode as a British kid with long hair.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Don Grady (Robbie Douglas) was a very talented musician. He was in a flower-pop group called the Yellow Balloon in 1967, but due to contractural matters had to hide his identity.

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

23. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I was surprised to discover the first 2 seasons in B&W show up on ME TV, I haven't seen them since they aired in the early 60s. The color episodes are classic "jump the shark" unfunny stuff, a la Andy Griffith Show. I loved "Bub", hated "Uncle Charley" even back then.

pocofan likes this.
  24. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Yes, she was part of the famous "King Family".

25. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Ernie rules![​IMG] :righton: