My Tubed Marantz Setup with Audioquest Dragonfly/Netbook

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crooner, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed Thread Starter

Finally managed to get my system out of storage and set it up in a small room.

The system comprises of a 1963 Marantz Model 10 tuner, a 1958 Marantz Model 7 preamp and a 1964 Marantz Model 8b power amp. Speakers are vintage 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A connected to the 16 ohm tap of the Model 8b. The stands I got for $80 used on Craigslist. They have spikes and are filled with lead shot. They weigh around 60 lbs each. I am guessing these sold for at least $500 new.

Speaker cable is generic 14 gauge. Looking to upgrade to something nicer soon.

Digital source is a 2009 Emachines (made by Acer) Netbook used solely as an audio source, with all unnecessary drivers disabled for maximum audio performance. I am running the latest version of Foobar2000 with WASAPI drivers for bit perfect output to the Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC.

To allow wi-fi remote control access to Foobar, I installed the TouchRemote app which works great with my iPod touch.

My music collection (around 20000 files, mostly FLAC) has been copied into an external USB 750Gb hard drive.

The Audioquest Dragonfly DAC connects to the Marantz 7 via Audioquest Golden Gate cables.

When in use, I can close the lid on the Netbook, and tuck it underneath the equipment rack, and use the iPod to control Foobar from my listening chair.

Sound quality is superb with great warmth, excellent separation and soundstaging. The little Dragonfly is outstanding. I find the sound superior to my now departed Squeezebox Touch/Schiit Bifrost combination.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Great setup! Looks fantastic....

3. crooner

Thanks Jeff!
    With a toddler around, it took me a while to get the system up and running again. I actually have it installed in a spare room at my folks house, so I only listen to it once or twice a week. Better than being stored in boxes!

I plan to get another set of AQ Golden Gates for the preamp to power amp connection. Currently I have some Radio Shack Auvio interconnects.
    I also need recommendations on a good set of speaker cables that are not too expensive.

4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Wonderful setup!

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Gorgeous system! Bet it sounds seductive.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love it, a perfect marriage of the old and new. The gear looks beautiful too.

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That's exactly what I was thinking.:thumbsup:

jeff

8. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Why fill the speaker stands with lead shot? Shouldn't they be stiff but lightweight?

9. crooner

Well..I guess dead weight is better since the resonant frequency is outside of the audible range. Some folks use sand instead of lead shot for similar results.

Ideally, stands should be made out of concrete, or even the complete speaker enclosure. But obviously not practical in reality.

In a speaker such as the LS3/5a, heavy non resonant stands result in a much more focused soundstage and better defined bass.

10. crooner

Thank you!
    I wish I still had my vinyl rig. But the AQ Dragonfly has surprised me with the mellow, analog like sound. Of course, the vintage Marantz helps in this regard, but definitely digital has improved leaps and bounds in the past few years.

11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That does look really nice. I was wondering how the Dragonfly would do not as a headphone amp but as a USB DAC, connected to the pre or receiver or what have you. What sort of cable are you using? Is it a "Y" cable, or whatever that's called?

12. Now THAT is how to listen to computer audio. :cheers:

13. crooner

I use the RCA to miniplug version of the AQ Golden Gate interconnect. I figured using an Audioquest cable would be more synergistic with the Dragonfly.
    I have just ordered a standard RCA to RCA 1m pair of the same Golden Gate interconnects to hook up the Marantz 7 and 8B, as I am using a cheaper Auvio cable in there right now.
    I also ordered a Griffin PowerMate USB volume control knob. I plan to use this control (which would operate in the analog domain when using the Dragonfly), instead of the volume control on the Marantz 7 preamp. The rationale is to preserve the Marantz original volume from wear. It works superbly right now with perfect tracking and absolutely no noise, and I want to keep it that way. Replacements are virtually impossible to find, and when they do come up they can sell for $1000!

To use the PowerMate control, I would set the Marantz 7 volume at about halfway position. No loss of resolution since it would be in the analog domain.

[​IMG]

14. crooner

Thanks!
    I converted to computer audio in 2006 after I bought a Squeezebox 3. Spent nearly a year ripping my collection into FLAC files with artwork included.

morinix likes this.
  15. crooner

I first used the Dragonfly with my pair of Sennheiser HD600's and it excelled at driving them to satisfying levels with great clarity. I was also curious on its performance hooked up to a preamp or directly to a power amp. AQ's claims are not exaggerated, as it drives a 2 meter interconnect with no loss of quality.

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Neat, thanks for the replies. Great to hear the Dragonfly does so well. What a deal!

:cheers:

17. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

Very nice Crooner! I've always admired your setup. I had the Rogers LS 3/5A in my setup for a while. Sold them several years ago. I found a pair of KEF 101s which have the same woofer and tweeter as the LS 3/5A. KEF put the crossover underneath the speaker cabinent to get around the BBC patent. Interesting they tweaked the crossover so the KEF 101s do not have the BBC "dip". A little flatter response. The KEF 101s are 8 ohm so they take a little more power. The KEFs sell for a lot less than those 15 ohm Rogers. I think they may sound a little better. We could probably debate that all day LOL! ;)

Carl

18. crooner

Hi Carl!
    Thanks for the kind words. The KEF's are very nice also. I love my Rogers but I have to admit they are not easy to drive. That crossover is incredibly complex and the Marantz 8B struggles if they are played in a large room. Hence the small room they are currently in. For close range listening they excel, and no clipping is experienced with even the most demanding recordings. The rolloff in the lower bass is actually desirable in a small room with no room treatments as it prevents standing waves.
    It is preferable to lose the very low frequencies than standing waves, as they mess up imaging a big way.

I used to have Vandersteen 2Ce signatures, and Richard Vandersteen actually recommends inserting a 80 Hz high pass filter to prevent standing waves in smaller rooms. I used the filter and extended the bass by using his 2W subwoofer with excellent results.

I guess I could add a sub to my speakers, but for now I am satisfied with the way they sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.