My turntable is hanging up in last song

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by seed_drill, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member Thread Starter

This is not on every record, but happens enough for me to know it's the table instead of the record. I dialed the anti-skating back by half. I'm not sure if that helped or not. Sometimes it'll just skip once and then proceed, but other times it just hangs up completely.

This is the Onkyo table, not one of my Duals.

2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Could be several things; a problem with the anti skate mechanism proper or the routing of the wires coming out of the tone arm base
    Could be a bearing problem
    Need to provide a model in order for anyone to speculate more knowledably
    Automatic, semi-automatic etc

Aftermath likes this.
  3. seed_drill

Sorry, it's an Onkyo CP-1280F, which is a fully automatic table.

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Fully automatic. Does your turntable by chance have an "automatic return adjustment?" One of my Technics tables has this adjustment under a rubber cap and turning it clockwise corrects the condition of the arm not returning after the final groove.

The Pinhead and c-eling like this.
  5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

seed_drill likes this.
  6. seed_drill

This is a problem of the arm skipping during the last track, around 1" prior to the runout groove. Would that still be the first thing to check?

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No, not skipping. Returning to the start position before the final track has ended.

8. seed_drill

The arm actually has play in it. Is this proper? Both of my other tables are tight, no pivoting of the arm is possible.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No !:(

And this :

:edthumbs:

johnny q and seed_drill like this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think it has to be some intermittent problem related to the auto return mechanism. Antiskate issues produce distortion not skipping or hanging up.

11. The only movements a tone arm should have is up and down so it can lift off of the record it is playing, and left and right so it can play across the record then return. If by play you mean the arm can rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise, then yes you have a problem. There's no way it can track properly.
    I've never been a fan of Onkyo and include them in the same league as most modern Crosleys, the tone arm looks pretty "mickey mouse" to me.

Usually. what I've found to be the cause of a tone arm sticking and repeating on a record is the wiring has stiffened up or it is hanging up in it's travel.

12. seed_drill

I fixed the loose arm. It was just a screw. Why the tech left it that way ????

Unfortunately, the table has one of these ADC Integra ST-XLM-II ST XLM II STXLMII cartridge mounted on headshell ยป on it, so the original headshell is missing.

Also, the auto return is adjustable, but requires the use of a DC voltmeter. I don't mess with electrical, as I'd have no idea what I was doing.

Cosmetically, the thing is a dog, but the quartz mechanism is functioning perfectly. I may take it to another guy for adjustment, but if it requires anything more than that, I'll be offering it for parts.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Although it may not be the same issue it might be related. I had a friend who had a fully automatic turntable and he was having a problem playing a certain album. Instead of the tone arm playing the start of the record, it would begin playing about half way through the record. I put it on my fully automatic turntable and I had the same issue.

I happened to hold the record up and noticed that although it looked like it was made of black vinyl, in the light I could see that the record was album actually made of clear dark red vinyl. What was happening is the light from the record size sensors on my turntable were not blocked by the record and it thought the LP was a 7" record (since the 7" and 10" sensors were not blocked) and it would drop the tonearm where the edge of a 7" record would be. Once I manually moved the cartridge to the beginning of the record it would play.

gregorya, Aftermath and buzzzx like this.
  14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

[Duplicate of previous post deleted.]

15. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Is there a manual tonearm lift with a rest on it? It could be higher on the inside and lifting the arm a bit when it gets there.

seed_drill and John Buchanan like this.
  16. seed_drill

I'll check that. It's a little loose, as well, so it's possible.

17. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Is there's a way to see what triggers the auto return mechanism? Does it use an Opto (electronic sensor) type or a mechanical lever of some sort that rides along with the arm assembly?

18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Make sure the TT is level. I had this problem once and that was it.

stetsonic likes this.
  19. seed_drill

Anyone know where I can get a headshell for one of these? The thing's fitted with some weird side mounted cartridge, and it's so light you can't properly balance it without inhibiting the arm.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No, no. You're reading too deep into the manual. Look at the users manual, not a service manual. There's always just a screw you turn to adjust auto return. Never see one without it.

21. seed_drill

The service manual was available online. Not so the users manual. At least not that I have been able to find. Pretty sure it's not an auto return problem, anyway.

I think Guildx500 may have been correct as for what was causing the problem initially. But to actually set the tracking force at 1.5 grams, you have to bring the weights in so close to the pivot joint (don't know what it's called) that they actually stop the arm before it reaches the end of the record.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If it lifts up before making it to the run-out groves, it's an auto-return problem.

23. seed_drill

It's never lifted up. It hangs up in a groove about an inch before the end of the record.

24. seed_drill

I see now why the tonearm was loose. Because when you tighten it down the arm gets bound so it doesn't move freely up and down. I can't even see what's causing it, because there is a housing around the entire pivot point. Debating whether to just throw the thing away rather than spend any more money.

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Was the problem present from day one or the TT developed it over time/suddenly ? Is it still under warranty ? I feel you bro. But at least you got some nice Duals. Imagine having this problems with your one and only:shake:

Don't toss it to the trash !:yikes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.