My Unhappy Project Phono Box DS Experience

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stefan, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guesstimator

Guesstimator Well-Known Member

Hi all!

My TUBE BOX DS arrived yesterday but i'm a bit stumped.
    I seem to be getting a very audible buzz from both channels when stationary....and it remains audible at normal listening volume levels. I have a project début carbon with an ortofon blue feeding into the line jacks of a pioneer SS amp (A602). Tried the CD jacks as well.
    With both the integrated phono and a NAD p2 i would get a slight hum (which from the other systems I have heard can be considered normal) at say 12 o clock on the volume dial (no buzz more of a low freq hum), but it was not an issue as it is way above my normal listening volume (10 o clock max or the neighbours start complaining) but this is really annoyingly loud buzz. also when i play a record, the LH channel seems is a bit low.

The tube box DS settings are as follows: No F/V jumper for mm cart , 40db gain and 147pf capacitance jumpers on both L+R. Subsonic filter ON
    TT correctly grounded to tube box ds. noise gets even louder if i disconnect the earth cable.

i Have noticed three things:

1) On the box and upper tube rings there was some oil residue ( i believe simple rust preventing machining oil). not a problem in itself but i would expect a new item to be no less than perfect.
    2) the LH tube is not vertical in its seat...it is considerably slanted and out of center at its tip
    3) The tube glow very little , a warm orange colour ,BUT the LH tube glows a tenth of the RH tube

bearing in mind that I have no idea if or how the above 3 observation could affect the noise or audio performance of the amp, i would ask owners of the same amp if they have the same defects/issues and seek the forum members' experience to understand what the issue may be.

I was thinking of having the part exchanged for another new item......

Thanks in advance

2. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Thanks for saving me from making an expensive mistake. I was thinking of trying a DS. Can you comment on the sound of the Yaqin MS12B compared to the S? It sounds like you're saying that the Yaquin is the warmest of all the phono stages you've tried. Is that true?

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

The Yaqin was good but it rolled off the deep has frequencies while boosting the upper bass. I've since moved on to a Lehmann Black Cube with which I'm extremely happy.

4. The Seeker

Interesting. Since I posted this earlier I've read reviews that claim this model Yaqin is bright and harsh.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

Oops. I was typing that last one on my phone while still half asleep! It should have read that the Yaqin rolled off deep low frequencies. I measured needledrops and found a steep roll-off below 50Hz no matter what tubes I used. As for the reviews, I didn't find it particularly bright or harsh at all.

6. The Seeker

Great, thank you for clarifying that. I appreciate your tests and observations. I'm pretty happy with my Parasound Zphono. I cannot believe it's as good as it is considering the price. I've tried some more expensive pieces and I keep coming back to it. I'm waiting for the tube phono pre that kicks it out of my system, though. Just need to figure out which one that will be. I like a very warm, romantic sound. That's the other problem. I find most phono stages to lean toward the thin, detailed, forward and bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.