My vintage McIntosh MX-110 preamp surprised me today. Follow up post #61!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

I want the 240 specifically because I've always been partial to 6L6 based amps. I know the 275 is considered the Mac daddy but really lust after the 240 for that reason.

Simon A likes this.
  2. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I couldn't resist hooking my mx110z up to the amplifier section of my ma6200. I have to say, it has a very unique sound that is very pleasing to my ears. Much different than the preamp section of the ma6200. I'm curious how much different it'll sound after I have Terry DeWick give it an overhaul. It'll also be intersting to see how it sounds with a tube amplifier once I get one. I'm really excited to spend more time with it!

Simon A likes this.
  3. scottcw

scottcw Member

A local shop just listed an MX110 serviced by Terry and this thread convinced me to buy it.

A couple of questions so I can get up and running quickly...

I plan to run a MM cartridge > MX110 > Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated in the near term. I take it that my best option is to run the tape out from the MX110 to a line input of the Rogue, bypassing the MX110 volume and tone controls, correct?

I plan to replace the Rogue with a power amp soon. Do I have to use the MX110 main outs to a power amp or is there a shorter path that still uses the volume control?

Last, does the phono of the MX110 only work with MM cartridges? Would I need a step up for LOMC? If yes, what ratio (1:10, 1:20, etc.)?

Thanks in advance. This thread is a great resource.

4. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I have a pair of Mcintsosh MC30's hooked up to mine and its glorious.

Walter Koehler and jmczaja like this.
  5. scottcw

scottcw Member

In the very first post of this thread, Steve swapped out a Concert Fidelity CF-080 for the MX110.

I am curious what others have compared with the MX110 and the results. What did the MX110 best? What bested it?

I think this would be a good resource for those of us with the urge to keep finding something "better."

I am using the MX100 as a phono stage in place of the MM input on my Rogue Cronus Magnum II. Initial impressions are an improvement in the midrange, especially vocals, and more impact / slam from drums. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is a great example. The vocals are very present and Mick's frenetic drumming has real power. Through the MM input of the Rogue, vocals were recessed, not as defined (during harmonies for example) and the drums seem lower in the mix.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

Not to get too far off topic, but can you share the name of the shop? Going to Portland in the spring and am scouting hardware and record dealers.

7. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Using the an entire MX110 just for its phono preamplifier section seems like a bit of a waste to me. It's main preamplifier and tuner sections are equally superb once fully restored and operating to spec. Of course, nothing says it cannot be used in such an application, however, do NOT remove any tubes from other sections of the preamplifier even if they are unused. Doing so will throw off voltages operating into other parts of the unit, being potentially deleterious to performance at best, damage to the unit at worst.

If you wish to run an MC cartridge, you would need an outboard MC phono preamplifer which is then connected at a line level input of the MX110 (ie: AUX, TAPE MONITOR). PHONO input would not be used.

Otherwise, the MAIN outs are normally used to make connections to the power amplifier(s) if you want to take fullest advantage of the features of the MX110, including volume, tone and balance controls. Several inches of IC cable +/- isn't going to make any difference worth talking about; let alone justify the alterations to the unit to make it possible.

You should also be aware the manual states the MX110 should be used with amplifiers having input impedance of 100,000 ohm or greater. Many modern amplifiers are considerably lower than this so be sure to check specs in your amplifier selection.

HTH.

cpcharlie likes this.
  8. scottcw

scottcw Member

I got it from Echo Audio.

I have been using the tuner section quite a bit also. I don't have any other sources, so just the phono and tuner.

I'm leaving all the tubes in place based on the info in this thread.

strymeow likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Use the main output. So you can use the full MX 110 facilities. And yes, for MC your choices are the Pre-preamplifier or SUT. Needs for SUT depends on MC cartridge desired.

10. scottcw

scottcw Member

Putting this out there again...

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

They are waiting until you get out of the men's room.

12. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

jmczaja likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Walter Koehler likes this.
  14. Walter Koehler

Aloha
    Ty and very true triple happiness no tax no expensive shipping not overpriced
    Anyway strange auction ends by 741€ i didnt pay attention on the auction while talking with my brother however the winner didn't pay or whatever reason so the seller offered me the MX-110Z
    Which I really appreciate and 3 clicks later the amp was mine
    Guess the beauty will arrive tomorrow morning without any issues
    :edthumbs:
    Cheers
    Wally

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Now just find another ebay seller with a pair of MC30's that they have no idea the actual value of and you're all set!

16. Walter Koehler

Aloha :D
    Ty I'm done this with this cute 2 examples of American Audio Meisterstücke
    Scored them few years ago for 1875$$+shipping+import tax

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Run already 2 x cal.30 paired with C-26
    Cheers
    Wally

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    62caddy likes this.
  17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

How good is the FM tuner in the MX-110 (and yes I know most radio stations play lossy digital mp3 files from a hard drive)? For example, how would the MX110 FM tuner stack up vs a Fisher tube receiver tuner of the same era (800B/C, 500B/C, 400)? And how would the MX110 stack up versus the benchmark of the period (Marantz 10B)?

18. monkboughtlunch

Couldn't a step up transformer be used for the MC cart and then run the signal through one of the two Phono MAG inputs?

19. monkboughtlunch

Which McIntosh amplifier is most synergistic with an MX-110 Z series?

I've read a number of threads and these four amps tend to be mentioned most often:
    • MC30- Tube rectified (mono blocks which require more real estate)
    • MC225 - Tube / SS rectified
    • MC240 - Tube / SS rectified
    • MC2505 (MC250) - Solid State
    Also, how would a modern MC275 VI stack up? I've read these use lead free solder and printed circuit boards and the transformer is somewhat different than vintage models.

20. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

I'm sure they'd all sound really good..

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Yes, and if the cartridge and SUT are a good match, I bet it would sound spectacular that way. I never had the chance to try that when I had my MX-110. But the phono stage (using Telefunken 12AX7's) was my absolute favorite part of that preamp.

22. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Line level inputs should be used with the step up preamplifier. The voltage is too great to be used with the phono inputs.

When operating to spec, the MX110 tuner section is superb. McIntosh engineer Richard Moderaffi who originally designed the MR77 & MR78 tuners and who also performs modifications on McIntosh tuners had said there is nothing he could do to improve upon the original design of the MX110 tuner section. It was (and still is) that good.

The Marantz may have the advantage in DXing capabilities, and at its present day cost, I would certainly hope so. Otherwise I cannot comment on ny sonic comparisons. Having owned the highly regarded MR78, I can say the MX110 performs at least as well sonically with a good signal, which means it should probably perform as well as the 10B - again, if the signal strength and broadcast signal are of reasonable quality. As to any of the Fishers, I'm sure the MX110 would have the advantage.

Regarding amplifier compatibility with the MX110 - any high quality amplifier should perform well so long as the amplifier chosen has input impedance of 100,000 ohms or greater according the MX110 Owner's Manual. Many later amplifiers (including the MC275 VI) have lower input impedance values which will be detrimental. As with phono cartridges, proper loading is critical maintaining flat response.

23. monkboughtlunch

I thought that a SUT boosts the MC signal to that of an average MM signal so that it can be routed into a standard on board phono preamp (for example the Phono MAG input on the MX110). If one had a Denon 103 and used a step up transformer, wouldn't the signal be too low to present to the line level AUX input of the MX110?

24. monkboughtlunch

Which amp do you like best with your MX110?

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes