My vintage McIntosh MX-110 preamp surprised me today. Follow up post #61!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2011.

1. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Sweet. And/Or maybe someone else can post a pic of the schematic, or the preamp innards themselves. I love looking at that kind of stuff.

ccm

2. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

This is an interesting idea. But, I bet if you duplicated the circuit using modern parts it would sound completely different. May as well just find a nice MX-110. They are a bargain in the world of vintage McIntosh gear.

I'll see if I can find some inside pictures that I took when recapping my MX-110 a few years ago.

I wonder if some of the magic is coming from the 6D10 Compactron? If I recall correctly, the 6D10 is utilized in the tape loop circuit. Pretty sure also that the
    6D10 is only used in the "Z" series MX-110.

3. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Your Marantz biased...lol:winkgrin:

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Do people prefer the MX110Z with the brushed aluminum lower front-plate or the shiny gold look? I have a brushed version now, but miss the shinier look of my old one.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I think people grab which ever one they can. The one that is cleanest for the least amount of money, that's the one! I was just lucky that I got a "Z". If I had found an earlier one in that great of shape, I would have grabbed it. Just the luck of the draw at this late stage of the game...

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Yeah, I suppose you're right Steve, I traded my last one towards a more modern preamp, which did not appreciate in value like the Mac has:(

7. Steve Hoffman

So tonight when the gang went to the playground at McDonald's (can't stand that place) I lugged my 1961 Marantz 7C upstairs and tried the tape loop trick. (See post 61).

Well, turns out that the classic Marantz has a pure tape loop, in other words, no electricity needed, therefore it's pointless to try it that way, adds or subtracts nothing. Just an unamplified connection.

The McIntosh MX-110 has an active loop that needs juice to power it and I'm trying to figure out which tubes are involved in it. There is some magic going on there, for sure! If it is that GE Compactron I take back everything I ever said about it.. I have a Z schematic somewhere..

8. coffeecupman

Very cool. Watching this space.

ccm

9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

From this picture I pulled off the 'net, I can't really tell to what extent the tape loop runs through the circuit.

Attached Files:

10. tubesandvinyl

Steve, how about tube rolling to locate the extent of the tape loop circuitry? You could roll one set of tubes at a time until the sound changes through your tape loop. That would localize the TL circuit.

11. tubesandvinyl

I found a schematic of the M series; though it's hard to read, it appears the tape loop goes through the single 12AX7. If your Z has the same loop/12AX7 layout, maybe try that one first?

12. coffeecupman

^Good idea, T+V.

A look at the schematic in combination with the above will help us see if anything else in the circuit is involved.

It may be easier to read the schematic if we know which tube position to focus on.

Or, the schematic might be totally obvious on its own.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a good 3 months off to dig into a hot-rodding project on something like this.

The contracting biz is like that, though. I'll get it before a few years are out.

I am loving this thread.

ccm

13. coffeecupman

Paper or electronic? Can you post it?

ccm

14. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

15. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I found my Z series schematic. It looks like with the tape monitor "in", the signal bypasses the 6D10. Each channel goes through 1/2 of 12AX7 (V15) and then through both sections of a 6U8 (V16 for the left and V17 for right). So, one pass through a 12AX7 and two passes through a 6U8.

The owner's manual refers to this 12AX7 as the "left and right 2nd audio amplifier" and the two 6U8's as the "left 3rd audio amplifier" and "right 3rd audio amplifier. "

Hope that makes sense! (and hopefully I'm reading the schematic correctly!)

16. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

What you are saying is correct but used as described in post 61 the 6D10 cathode follower is the only active stage in the circuit.

As you say one could bypass the 6D10 by hooking a component to the tape monitor inputs and using the main outputs. This would leave the whole line stage in the circuit.

17. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Dale is correct. I read post 61 again and studied the schematic again. The AUX input goes to the 1st audio amp in the 6D10. Then to the tape right or left output. Further amplification and tone controls are bypassed.

The magic is in a Compactron?!

18. coffeecupman

The 6D10 is also one of the key tubes in a Fender Super Champ, which is one sweet sounding little amp.

I know the distortion in a guitar amp is not what we're going for here, just wanted to state where I've seen the 6D10 before.

IIRC, wasn't the RCA 6D10 the one to have? Steve, what brand is yours?

It would seem that a much simpler version of this preamp could be knocked together by a talented hobbyist, without the phono stage, tuner, tone controls, and switches for all of those channel summing features.

Find the vintage transformers, unclutter the layout, dress the wiring for the least interference. Add in the latest and greatest in component technology with some good shielding, and the results could be very cool.

ccm

19. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I think all 6D10's were made by the same manufacturer, so it doesn't really make any difference to roll this tube.

20. Steve Hoffman

I bought 10 of them in 2000 for $2 each. Now I'm going to go put them in a little pile and bow down to them.

Next MX-110 thing I'm going to do is feed the "MAINS" output into my CF linestage and try and describe what the 6U8, etc. does to the sound. Could sound even more 3D. Who knows? So I'll have three buttons to push. The CF alone, the MX-110 tape out with CF and finally the MX-110 proper with the CF. Final will be the MX-110 vs. the Marantz 7C. Fight to the death!

Story of the Compactron:
    http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/CompactronTubesIndex.shtml

Attached Files:

21. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Does anyone run your MX110 with or without wood case? Heat, tube life, etc.,

22. Steve Hoffman

I love my wood case, it's part of the "look".

23. coffeecupman

Well, here are at least two different configurations.

Side getter:
    [​IMG]

O getter:
    [​IMG]

ccm

24. coffeecupman

Also, in the 6U8 position, this strikes me as a tube that I would have to try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECF802-SIEM...3?pt=Röhren&hash=item43a46a67cb#ht_676wt_1037

Probably the same thing in Tele version:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-ECF802...ren_Valves&hash=item564a953d66#ht_1441wt_1270

I know you said a while ago that the Tele ECF82 was muddy sounding to you, Steve, but it looks as though these are the no holds barred model, just like the tele ECC803's are to the ECC83's.

The 802's aren't the same animal, and might be worth a shot, since the "80" series is the uberbeast line.

For anyone who wants to get more deeply involved in this thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26104765680...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

I did the hunting for y'all. I'm WAY too many projects behind to take this one on, as delightful as it would be.

ccm

25. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I believe GE was the only manufacturer of Compactron types in the US, but am not sure. I think someone in Europe made a few of the sweep tubes later on.