My vintage McIntosh MX-110 preamp surprised me today. Follow up post #61!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

David, thanks for posting. Always interesting reading. Feel free to post more on the MX-110. The language you use is actually English, easy for everyone to understand and grasp.

Much appreciated.

2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I don't own a MX-110...not yet at least...but I'd like to add to this wise advice, is not limited to just to the MX-110, but all vintage tube preamps/poweramps/receivers. Good stuff!

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Anyone try a 6AC10 in Place of the 6D10?

4. Steve Hoffman

Have not. The 6D10 is easier to find (or was for me) than the other tube.

If you're asking if it's a good sub, no idea.

5. fortherecord

Some guy had some for sale on eBay recently, just curious.

6. Steve Hoffman

I would stick with what is recommended in the manual...

The 6D10 is not a rare tube, it's around, just not sexy.

7. Steve Hoffman

8. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Looks like Jim Stewart (Stax Records) appreciates a good MX-110!

Attached Files:

McLover likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Probably Panloc'd right into the wall. Neat.

Got my second MX-110 back from being fixed and it's installed in my studio along with the McIntosh MC30 monoblocks into my Venture Perfection Mark IV speakers (4 ohm tap) and I'm amazed at the sound.

Really, I could live with this for a long time. Telefunken heaven. 3-D midband to die for.

10. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Excellent. I bet that does sound really good! Almost went for a single MC-30 that was available locally to me, but it turned out to be too much of a hack job. Will keep an eye open for something nicer.

A product of the whole combo I guess? Steve, In your opinion, how does the MC-240 compare in this respect?

11. Steve Hoffman

I had a beautiful MC240 that I sold off a few years ago. It was mint but didn't have the midband magic that the MC30's have. Maybe it was the change to a solid state rectifier, don't know. It sounded good but slightly brighter and leaner. Wish I hadn't sold it because it was so pretty.

12. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Someday we at SH should put a room together at RMAF. Like the NFS guys do at CES.

One of us brings the MX-110, another the SACD player, one each an MC30...

That would be groovy.

ccm

13. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

What'd you end up running in this one for the 6U8's?

14. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, I didn't answer your entire question. I had my Mac 30's up in my studio because I ran out of room downstairs in my vintage area and the amps are too pretty to hide away so I decided to use them. In my studio they replaced a McIntosh MC402 that I had been using with a Joule-Electra linestage. I substituted the MC30s in place of the solid state 402 and things got much more interesting, musical and holographic. I've had it that way for about 1/2 a year.

Strange to say, I've never had either of my MX-110's hooked up to the MC30's before. So, today I tried it just on a lark and wow, more "colorful" sound. Slightly over the top but oh, so exciting midband with true reinforced holographic presence. Fun to listen to music on, for sure. I have a neutral system that I enjoy as well but this system is just fun.

I have Telefunken ECF82's (6U8) in this MX-110 (good testing), tomorrow I will switch to RCA 6U8A's and see what happens to the sound. Then I'll try the cheapo GE's and the Joint Army Navy Phillips 6U8's.

15. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Cool let us know,

Came that close to getting a pair of MC30's myself, I mean close. But ended up with the 402. So many possible combos, so little time :cheers:

16. Steve Hoffman

That MC402 is a great stereo amp. I use it in my big room sometimes. It really controls my speakers well and is highly crankable. Wouldn't want to be without it.

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

18. Steve Hoffman

That's show biz.

19. fortherecord

I've never heard the MC30s ever, though I could have bought several of them back in the 90s. I had always been told they were the least accurate and most bloated sounding of all the tubed Mac gear, so I avoided them. Now, I think I probably would like them, as I think the MC60s sound better than all the others I've tried, including originals of the 240 & the 275.

20. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Thanks. I really enjoy the MX-110 / MC-240 combo and will continue my quest to hear a nice set of MC-30's. And more thanks for the lead on the NOS 6U8's. My sleeves of RCA and GE came in last Friday. Excellent service and price from that eBay seller!

21. Steve Hoffman

Of course they are the least accurate. If they were accurate we wouldn't be having a conversation about them! They are wildly colored. Perfect for resurrecting the dead. Liquid sounding. Recording engineers in the know used to (in the 1970's and 1980's before they became rare) powered their studio midrange drivers with Mc30's. People were throwing them out then and engineers gathered them up for their tri-powered studio systems. Kevin Gray included. That's how I first heard them, from borrowing his pair. Started me down this long road.

You'd really like them.

You want accurate? Get a solid state McIntosh amp from 1995.:)

McLover likes this.
  22. fortherecord

So are the Mc30s that different from the Mc60s sonically?

23. Steve Hoffman

Yes, a lot.

I had a pair of 60's that I really liked but they were totally mismatched so I sold them. The 60's have less of the complex character of the 6L6 tube just because of the higher powered 6550 Tung-Sol output tubes. Higher power, less goodies hiding in the sound. But, a beautiful tube.

Still, my second favorite McIntosh tube amp is the 60s.

For me it goes in order of liking (by me):

MC30 (tube rectified)
    MC60 (tube rectified)

240/225 equal (Solid state rectified here on)

My favorite preamps:

20 (earlier version) (tube rectified)
    MX-110 later versions
    C-22 (most accurate, therefore least interesting.)

Really, any of the above are worthy of a good listen if you like that vintage sound.

24. Steve Hoffman

Good, glad you got your tubes. Those 10 tubes should last a good long time. Remember to check the 6U8 in the FM multiplex section in back. BUT, always replace with the same brand of tube (I've been told it's crucial to keeping your FM in alignment).

25. fortherecord

Thanks Steve. I think the MC60's sound differs a lot depending on the type of tubes used. The Tungsol 6550 probably gives them the best mid band, but the original GL KT88 gives them a more robust sound, and probably more power. I actually prefer the Sylvania 6550, which seems to have the best of both tubes sonically.

I have a C2300/MC352 combo for more critical listening.