My Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD player doeas not read SACD layer on hybrid discs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RiRiIII, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lately the SACD layer of most (if not all) of my numerous hybrid SACDs cannot be read by my 5 year old Yamaha CD-S2000 SACD player. The CD layer is read without any issues. The same with the single layer SACDs - not any issue.

I checked some other threads on the matter. It seems the same thing happened before with SONY players and a "calibration process" was proposed":
    Some SACD titles not being read by my players. »
    My SACD player does not read the SACD layer on Hybrid discs »

Is there anything similar to propose for my player? Or any other ideas? I am regularly cleaning the lens with a cleaning disc made by SONY.

It is a shame. My old Marantz SACD player reads everything. As my $100 Sony blu-ray does as well...

Thanks a lot.

Alex

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You might try putting a hybrid in the machine and turning it off, remove the power cord, plug it back in and turn it on again. This may result in the laser running self-alignment - the Sony did that.

warp2600 and RiRiIII like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I had that problem with my Sony Universal player. I don't think I ever saw that trick mentioned above. I still have it though it's for movies only now but I'll try that and see what happens. My player became more obstinate over time with hybrid SACD so I gave up, it was time any way. I have a much better player now so not only do all of my SACD play but I enjoy playing discs enough that I've started buying discs again.

It might be a sign that it is on the way out but try the trick above. The unplugging part is important.

Edit:That trick didn't work for me but it doesn't mean it won't work for others. FYI, my Sony still plays single layer and redbook discs after having these symptoms for years so you've probably got plenty of time to shop around or not depending on your budget, before it stops playing everything. The way digital progresses it usually doesn't make sense to refurbish these things although I did a few years ago but it was a $65 job so much cheaper than a new machine.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  4. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Hybrid CDs have been a PIA for yrs.

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Those cleaning discs do more harm than good. The only proper way to clean the lens is to open the player to gain access to the lens, then use a Q-tip slightly dampened with denatured alcohol and lightly swab it. Be sure the player is unplugged.

That said, I'm not familiar with the workings of your player to say for sure. It could be a dirty lens, a failing diode or even a logic board issue. If you get inside to clean to lens and that doesn't fix the issue it's probably time for a trip to the repair shop as your player is certainly worth repairing.

bruce2 likes this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

5 year old? Oh, no! Sorry to hear that. Due to this, I fear you might need another SACD player. Hope to be proven wrong, though.

7. RiRiIII

My friend, it worked. However, it seems that I have to do it all the time... I ll report more after doing some more tries with various discs. Thanks a lot!

8. RiRiIII

But with 1500 Euro players? This is surely not fair (to say the least).

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I take it you have been pressing the "CD/SACD" button on the front panel and SACD doesn't light up ....correct??

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. RiRiIII

Sure. Exactly. Also when a SACD (hybrid or single layer) is inserted, the "SA-CD" should light up and keep like this, independently of which layer is being played. In my case only "CD" is light up.

After the unplugging trick Metralla proposed above, everything worked fine, but I am afraid not maintained like this for the next disc...

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Unfortunately this happens very often, regardless of the brand or price of the player (ironically, some cheap universal players tends to be more durable in this regard). Your optical drive have to be professionally calibrated or replaced, actually this is the first sign that the optics are dying. During the last 10+ years I had 6 players with SACD capabilities, 3 of them (top of the line dedicated Pioneer, Marantz and Sony SACD players started to show the same issue after about 2-3 years of use. The cheapest and the oldest universal DVD player from Pioneer still plays fine everything, and also 3 years already I have another very cheap Blu Ray Pioneer also playing everything (SACD layer including) without any problem. The more expensive units lasts 3-5 years at best. Now I have also top of the line Denon SACD player that plays fine, but is only year and a half old. This is my personal experience. I will be happy if someone can suggest recent brand/model with really durable and reliable optics/transport. I think this is the weakest part of all players, regardless of their price (with tendency the cheapest one to be more reliable than the more expensive models).

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Unfortunately this happens very often, regardless of the brand or price of the player (ironically, some cheap universal players tends to be more durable in this regard). Your optical drive have to be professionally calibrated or replaced, actually this is the first sign that the optics are dying. During the last 10+ years I had 6 players with SACD capabilities, 3 of them (top of the line dedicated Pioneer, Marantz and Sony SACD players started to show the same issue after about 2-3 years of use. The cheapest and the oldest universal DVD player from Pioneer still plays fine everything, and also 3 years already I have another very cheap Blu Ray Pioneer also playing everything (SACD layer including) without any problem. The more expensive units lasts 3-5 years at best. Now I have also top of the line Denon SACD player that plays fine, but is only year and a half old. This is my personal experience. I will be happy if someone can suggest recent brand/model with really durable and reliable optics/transport. I think this is the weakest part of all players, regardless of their price (with tendency the cheapest one to be more reliable than the more expensive models).

13. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Are sacd players really this unreliable? I don't have one but was considering purchasing one this year. I love my NAD 546, and would not give it up for something that might only last 2-3 years.

14. Metralla

That is a sign that the laser assembly needs to be replaced. Hybrids are always the first to go, in my experience with Sonys. Eventually you start to have problems with non-hybrids too. Typically you can buy a replacement optical block for under $200 (sometimes, well under that if you look around) and fit it yourself. I did that on a Sony XA777ES and breathed new life into the player. Don't give up on it.

15. RiRiIII

Thanks. How I can assess which optical block is installed in my player?

16. Metralla

RiRiIII likes this.
  17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

My sony is a No with Hybrids ,so thats it with Hybrid discs for now ,I won't bother buying them

18. RiRiIII

19. RiRiIII

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. Metralla

21. Metralla

Not sure that the part you linked is correct - it says "WK897600" on that link. But the service manual says "WK823500"

22. Metralla

23. Metralla

Image looks correct at

CHS »

24. RiRiIII

You are right of course. I was looking wrongly for the "Loader Mechanism Assy" that has this P/N.

All my thanks again for your time and effort. Now I should decide if I can do it by myself...

25. Metralla

Normally the replacement of the laser assembly is something you can do. When working on these, make sure to take ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) protection - ground yourself to the chassis as you would when working on a computer. The service manual is helpful, so read that carefully and look at the pictures and diagrams. When replacing the Sony laser pickup you first had to remove the solder blob - not sure if that laser pickup we are looking at has one of those.

RiRiIII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.