Mystery Science Theater 3000 announces Netflix debut, new writers, returning cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ibanez_ax, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I assume Kevin, Bill, and Mary Jo will be doing semi-regular guest appearances? Awesome!

ibanez_ax likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

4. Great! Bring it on

ibanez_ax likes this.
  5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Really looking forward to this, but I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about Jonah Ray in the starring role. I didn't particularly care for his performance at the MST3K reunion when he riffed a short with Joel. He seems to lack any tact when riffing, instead just kind of barking out the jokes. I'll give him a fair shake when the new series is released though.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

keef00 and ibanez_ax like this.
  7. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW NEW VOICE!!!!!

(Sorry, reflex).

:)

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm looking forward to finding out the which movies they'll be using.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I wonder if any modern films will be used.

Jason Manley likes this.
  11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

One of the articles mentioned it will perhaps be more 70s and 80s stuff, and only maybe one or two old things from the 50s or 60s.

Rightly or wrongly, even among MST3K nerds, there is some level of disinterest that creeps in the older the film is, especially if it's B&W. I think they did plenty of funny stuff with the super old films. But I also would have to say some of my favorite MST episodes and Rifftrax selections are things from the 70s and 80s.

I know that Joel still skews more towards doing b-movies than mocking huge blockbusters (which isn't an issue anyway, as they surely can't afford the rights to any majorly popular items), so hopefully we'll get a good mix.

Don't know if I'll ever get used to new voices for the bots. Then again, it is true that the "classic" version of Crow and Servo for many aren't the only past versions of those voices either.

If anything good has already come of this revival, it's that they licensed "Pop" figures for Crow and Servo (for which only prototype art currently has been released):

[​IMG]

stereoptic and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Can't wait to see the new episodes! Since it's being released on Netflix, I assume the entire season will be released at once, yeah? Might have to do my first Netflix 7-day 'free trial', and binge watch.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, I believe they're releasing the whole season at once.

MikaelaArsenault and jdlaw like this.
  14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Can't say I blame them. Even in the original series, the 80s movies they did were some of the very best episodes.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Agreed, that's a lot of the best stuff.

Some of the "Rifftrax" stuff from that era has been really good too. They now have a literal "Trilogy" of James Nguyen films available! The only area where I think more modern stuff doesn't work is when Rifftrax has done stuff like "Sharknado"; I think MST3K and Rifftrax have both done well to avoid movies that are bad *on purpose.*

16. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

Jonah's fake travel show on Seeso is pretty funny if you need something else to binge watch.

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Patton Oswalt's perfect as TV's Son of TV's Frank. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So they aren't getting the original voices of the robots back?

19. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

No. Joel is the only past cast member involved in the new project (it was his brainchild after all). But, supposedly some of the old guard will be making cameos over the course of the season.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Jason Manley likes this.
  21. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

There was a list floating around of the movies. If it's legitimate, they were almost all from the '70s and '80s (I seem to recall one from the '60s.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is either going to be great, or it's going to fail spectacularly. We shall see...

23. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

The reviews from those who went to the premiere seem to be pretty positive. The fact that everyone involved professes to be long-time fans has me optimistic - hell - I admit that I am giddy as a schoolgirl.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I want this to be good, and that's encouraging, so I'm hoping for the best. :)

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, there are a few concerns I have that are mostly related to the writing. Hope they don't do any cheap political jokes, hope it isn't geared towards millennials (but more a general audience), etc. The original show had a Midwestern feel too it, which was part of it's charm. I'll take it a wait and see approach, but am definitely giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.