Mystery Science Theater 3000 announces Netflix debut, new writers, returning cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ibanez_ax, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, I don't know about Trace but I assume Mike is pretty busy with Rifftrax stuff and wouldn't want to give that up to work on the new MST3k (but that's just a guess).

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The Rifftrax guys, especially Mike, seem to have a tenuous relationship with MST3K. When all of the Kickstarter MST3K hubbub was going on, Mike Nelson posted online as politely as possible (but still inevitably coming off a bit curt) that he was "hired gun" on MST3K, and thus never had monetary or creative control over anything past or present. He was probably just getting sick of getting asked about MST3K, considering he had nothing to do with the revival.

But I think Rifftrax and MST3K have done a good job of marketing synergy even if all the people don't super get along. They did the reunion show last year with everybody (including the new guy from MST3K), and the Rifftrax website sells episodes of MST3K.

I think a lot of former MST3K people have griped in the past about lack of any money coming back to them as far as sales of old MST3K episodes, and apparently/allegedly/supposedly this being rectified with new ownership of the franchise and new avenues of sales (e.g. through the Rifftrax website, airing on Netflix, etc.).

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm wondering if the lack of any participation from Mike is due to Mike. I recall Joel mentioning he put offers out to everybody to take part in some fashion (though I'm guessing that mostly meant offers to do cameos as opposed to offers to be full-time on the show), and Mike is one of the few who apparently aren't in the new season. Aren't even one or two of the other Rifftrax guys (Kevin and/or Bill) popping up at some point on the new MST3K?

4. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Loved this show since I first saw it as a kid in the 90s. I do enjoy many of the movies they riff on for the cheesy entertainment value but at the the same time usually prefer to watch with their commentary for the movies they pick. I can't even count how many times I've watched a flick only to think to myself "it'd probably be even better with a rifftrax/MST3K." A recent example was The Wraith.

Strummergas likes this.
  5. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

No need to assume discontent (or sow the seeds of it), I'm pretty sure Rifftrax is doing very well and Mike doesn't need to be doing the new MST3k.

empirelvr likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, Kevin does appear as Bobo and Bill as Observer in an episode.

7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't know how much, if any, discontent is there presently or ever. I sense Nelson has not *always* been super rosey about Joel and MST3K (and the same goes for Joel). Nothing epically divisive or hateful or anything. But it hasn't always been an absolutely smooth, high-fives-for-everybody situation.

I think these days they're doing a good job of cross-promotion and see how it's good for everybody. They do a reunion show, Rifftrax sells old MST3K episodes, Joel promotes the Rifftrax Kickstarter, etc.

8. danner

danner Forum Resident

I was under the impression that, at least after the show was cancelled for good, that Jim Mallon had become the common enemy and source of contention among the group.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I've heard... There was friction between Joel and Jim at least.

10. That's what I read too

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I've watched the first 2.75 episodes so far.

Pros: New movies and new riffing. New mads and new skits. New movie sign miniature footage which is pretty darned spiffy. Cool FX with the bots being more independent and less tied to puppetry.

Cons: Break-neck-speed riffing - I find this unnecessary, but I'm sure it's to make sure there isn't more than a few seconds of space in which this generation of viewers could get bored and tune out. Bot voices - They're OK, but it's really hard to get used to them. Sometimes I feel like they're channeling their inner South Park or Family Guy, and it pulls me out of the moment. Gypsy - New voice that isn't even remotely the same, and I miss the high-pitched delivery. Mads - Felicia Day isn't particularly interesting in her portrayal of Kinga, but I like Patton Oswalt's Max OK.

Overall, it's good to have more MST3K. I just hope they find their "groove" and continue to improve, and get additional seasons.

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched some of the originals a few weeks ago.

Now tell me...are these supposed to be funny?

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

They're only funny if you have a sense of humor. ;)

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, they're supposed to help you clean your bathroom grout stains with a zesty lemon scent.

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Episode 2 is absolutely hysterical. If you find this show to be funny at all, I can't believe that you wouldn't love it.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nope I think the problem is it's funnier to watch those movies original style, drunk with your own friends. Watching other people (or maybe just those people) trying to be funny about movies doesn't work for me.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Alcohol is a hell of a drug. :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  18. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Paul Chaplin is involved on the writing side.

19. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Here in the UK, they're showing them widescreen and zoomed. :realmad:

Fortunately, I already have most of them on DVD.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Back when they left (at different points in the series), Both Hodgson and Beaulieu cited frustrations with how Jim Mallon was running things as a primary factor.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Seeing as how the entire premise of the show is watching other people making jokes about a movie, I'd say you wouldn't even need to try watching an episode if you *don't* find other people making fun of movies to be funny.

I personally think watching a bad, funny movie with friends is a very different experience from MST3K (or Rifftrax, etc.). Both fun, but very different, and that's also keeping in mind one's set of "friends" can be quite different from another.

"Riffing" on a movie is, in my mind, very different from just laughing a lot and repeatedly pointing out how dumb a movie is. Again, both can be fun and funny.

danner and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

23. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, I heard an interview where Joel said it got to the point that if he didn't leave the show, the show wasn't going to be able to continue the way things were.

Apparently, the struggle between producers and creative talent is a pretty common story.

24. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Its a Minn sota thing.[​IMG] [​IMG] Cool, Godzirra is popping a wheelie!:D:cool:

Hamhead likes this.
  25. danner

danner Forum Resident

What's always impressed me is the number of Zappa references scattered throughout the series.

Meng likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.