NAD 3020 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Metal MD, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Irecently got a hold of an VG+ conditioned NAD 3020. Listening to Dark Side of the Moon tonight, and I am astounded at the wonderful phono stage this little guy has. I'm using it as a preamp with a SAE TWO amp and Realistic equalizer. I know this preamp/amp is thought of very fondly by many and is an absolute classic. Who else has one of these beauties and would like to share their love?

:cheers:

head_unit, tAC0, crispi and 4 others like this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I can't speak to the original classic, but I did buy a new D3020 a couple weeks ago and I am thrilled with what I'm getting from this tiny little box. No phono stage in the new one, but a great DAC and two analog inputs. Best $500 I've spent in a long time.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  3. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

Congratulations. It's still the all-time champ.

doctor fuse and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Great find. Best of luck with it.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Best of luck with this one. In good order they sound nice. Do make sure all NAD has soft clipping turned off. And use them within their limitations. In this case, the NAD is a terrific 30 watt amplifier. With efficient, easy to drive speakers they do great. Soft clipping masks the amp being overdriven, which is why I don't recommend this.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I too am using a NAD 3020b as a phono stage, pre-amping out to my Pioneer A-400 integrated (the chance to pair these two old favourites is a massive novelty that still hasn't worn off!) :D

Sounds great, no complaints. I'd like to get a proper stand alone phono stage but I'm wondering how much I'd have to spend to beat the NAD.

noahjld and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I have 2 x 3020B's and a 3120. Never fail to amaze me.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  8. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

My main system has changed more times than a Chameleon over the past 45 years (....more like a Sumo T-Rex now) but upstairs in another room my first love, the little NAD3020 is still going strong. :whistle:An absolute classic

9. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

+1 on vintage NADs. I have a 7140 that with a little maintenance has cost me $120 all in so far.

I love a good, cheap date.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

A classic, like the styling, grey with square buttons.

crispi and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the tip. I did not know this!

Very, very nice. I have mine hooked up through a Realistic Equalizer. I'm now getting a very annoying buzz that must be coming from the equalizer. When I take it out of my setup, the buzz is gone. This equalizer doesn't have an external ground pole, so I cannot ground it to the amp or the NAD. I don't know what it causing this and it's frustrating. I have read that this particular equalizer doesn't have much in the way of shielding and can unintentionally amplify the fields from a nearby amp (and I have it sitting on an amp). I may try to connect a ground wire from a screw on the back of the equalizer to my amp. Thankfully, the sound is not coming from the NAD whatsoever. The equalizer is in excellent/NM condition, too.

Anybody have any thoughts?

12. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I used to have one. Used it to power Klpisch Hereseys. Fueled many a party night.

I think the 3020 is higher sound quality by far than either the Realistic equalizer or the SAE 2 amp. I think they both will compromise the sound. You should just use it straight.

bhazen, Old Rusty, chervokas and 3 others like this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd learn to adjust to the sound without the equalizer. They tend to degrade the sound anyway and the 3020 is more than transparent enough to expose the flaws of that sort of EQ. The 3020 has tone controls, use those instead. And again, don't push it too hard, you can blow it up. I know, I did. If you're using the EQ to ramp up the bass, note that the dynamic headroom of the 3020 will be compromised. I've also got a SAE II amp, Jim G. is right. Try to find efficient speakers to pair with the NAD. Note that the 3020 is on the low side of power requirements for your speakers. Something like Klipsch speakers would be a better match with the little NAD amp.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Robert C likes this.
  14. Dr. Metal MD

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. To my ears, the equalizer gives a noticeably wider soundstage than just the NAD itself or just the NAD and the SAE II amp. I'll keep messing around with it and see what my ears like. I listen mostly to metal, progressive rock/metal, and classic rock. There are two frequency bars on the EQ that really bring out the bass guitar and vocals that I just love.

I have the amp powering 2 Bose 501 towers. So, I would be very hesitant to try to power them with the little NAD. I more often then not listen to my music with headphones anyway though.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I own one that I bough used in top conditions. A lucky find :)

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  16. I currently use a NAD C320 integrated amplifier (not the BEE version). When it first came out it was advertised as a descendant of the C3020.
    I wondered if anyone has owned both the C3020 and the later C320 and could comment on the similarities and differences between the two? The C320 I have doesnt have a phono stage built in, and I know the C3020's phono stage was very well regarded by many.
    Does the C320 have any of the magic that the C3020 had?
    I often look on Ebay at C3020's but have held off buying one at the moment. I would love to get a nice example just to try and have in my collection as it is seen as a classic.
    Any thoughts would be welcomed.
    Thanks

17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Change the jumpers as well on the 3020.

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Bought a 3020 plus 4020 (tuner) in 1979. They got me through Uni.! Both (UK units) are in their original boxes in the garage now. Haven't been used in decades. Great sound for the price at the time. Well deserving of its place amongst the legendary components.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. Dr. Metal MD

Upon listening again, you're right. The NAD without the equalizer produces better sound. Thanks again for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated! Still loving this thing.

20. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I've had a NAD 3120 since the early 80's and still love it. It's moved out into the living room and the family still digs it.
    (Put a NAD 326bee in the listening room.)

21. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

My brother had a 3020 when we were in college - compared to my rig at the time (much more $$$), I thought the NAD sounded dark and a little lacking in dynamics. But for the low-level listener that my brother is, the NAD was perfect.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  22. Dr. Metal MD

What do you guys think, how much more would I have to spend to beat a NAD 3020s phono stage to get a standalone stage?

23. crosscut100

crosscut100 New Member

TheNad 3020 has a very good phono stage you would be looking in the $300 range to better it maybe more. Try the used market
    sometimes you can find a used graham slee around $200 that would be worth looking at. That is a great little amp enjoy.

crispi likes this.
  24. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Bought the 3020 new back when. Mine is still going strong! Never had a problem with it.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  25. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks! Glad to hear. I'll probably keep it in rotation for quite awhile! I hope it still has a lot of life left in it. Next upgrade will probably be headphones instead of a new preamp then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.