NAD 3020 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Metal MD, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I did this, if memory serves. Never a problem with the amp or speakers & we were cranking Sabbath & Zeppelin for entire weekends sometimes!

[​IMG]

doctor fuse likes this.
  2. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

While all original 3020 integrated amps sound good, the first series 3020 sounds best. The circuit was changed slightly when the 3020 was revised into the "A" and later versions. Supposedly the new circuit was cleaner, and allowed for a better board layout, but in reality low level detail retrieval was diminished.

doctor fuse likes this.
  3. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I recently tried out my old (original series) 3020 against a Quad Elite QSP running NEO3 ribbons @+2.5khz in an active setup and I'm afraid the NAD sounded a little grainy & harsh by comparison.

In a lower quality bedroom system with full range speakers, the 3020 sounds great though.

Shiver likes this.
  4. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I have a Graham Slee 2 phono stage that beats the one in my NAD 3020. It cost me €200, should be less expensive in the US given your importing laws. It offers improvement in clarity and transparency, but that's not totally unexpected.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm a big fan. NAD has a house sound but they do get things right in a special way. Designed to a price point the 3020 has the correct compromises to let the music come through.

doctor fuse, noahjld and Joe P. like this.
  6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Totally agree, I use Graham Slee phono stages on my 2 main turntables and they are superb.

With the £ vs $ as it is, these will be a real bargain at the moment (& there's a try before you buy loan scheme in the USA as well)

7. tAC0

tAC0 ...for the record, I’m a vinylist

I bought the 3020A on eBay for €125,00 a year ago... it’s never been off since. I have a small livingroom so it’s my only and main amp. I leave it on day and night (so it’s always warmed up) and I play a lot of records: great phono stage (like mentioned before) for my Thorens TD 160 TT. I paired it with a set of Wharfedale 9.1 speakers. This combo results in a clean, warm sound. I love it. No additional EQ neccesary, the amp’s tone controls are basic but sufficient. A great buy!

Robert C likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My first proper stereo integrated. My dad bought me one in 1986 (£109!). The first one I brought home was defective, one channel was FUBAR'd. Back it went, and the replacement was fine. Great amp.

However, IMO, the Sansui AU-217 is the better of the two. Terrific amps both though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.