Nagaoka - Frequency Measurements Of All 6 Carts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim1954, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found these frequency measurements in a very cool online Nagaoka PDF brochure so I copied them for reference.

[​IMG]

MP-500

[​IMG]

MP-300

[​IMG]

2. Tim1954

MP-200

[​IMG]

MP-150

[​IMG]

3. Tim1954

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Thanks for this!

5. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

I only see six, not seven as promised in the title.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Just a mistake. There are only six Nagaoka carts.

[​IMG]

7. Tim1954

And you have an Mp-500, right? Looks like it has the flattest measurements. I have the MP-200 and as much as I love it those upper frequency bumps do come into play on certain records.

Leviethan likes this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. Using it right now - got a new stylus a few days ago and it’s gorgeous.

Paul H and Jelloalien like this.
  9. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

The difference in frequency responses is so small that this information will tell you nothing useful about the difference in sound perception.

Frequency response is not a useful parameter at all IMO. If you study the way humans hear, you will learn that we adapt very quickly to any given static freq response, as long as it is not an outrageous curve. In other words, frequency response does not define how a component sounds to us.

harkpabst and Krzysztof Maj like this.
  10. Tim1954

Having heard the MP-110, MP-150, MP-200 and MP-300, I would disagree.

These curves line up very well with what I have heard.

The MP-110 is well known as a “surface noise killer” and that’s probably in part because it rolls off a bit of high end information. Which is how it sounds. The MP-150 has more open sound because it opens up after a similar dip.

The MP-300 sounds noticeably less bright than the MP-200.

I have not heard the MP-100 or MP-500.

Of course, if you think Nagaoka engineers would produce these charts (which tend to line up with the selling bullet points of each cart) for no discernible reason then I invite you to try all of these carts and report what your ears tell you. Others may not be in such an enviable circumstance so this thread is for them.

FTR, I love all Nagaoka carts I have heard. I currently own the MP-200 and MP-110.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Can you explain what this means exactly? Not sure how to read it other than I guess the bottom waves should ideally be more flat like to top line.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  12. Tim1954

I believe just following the top line is actually the easiest guide to how they measure.

For example, Nagaoka says the MP-500 achieves flat response, and if you look at the top line that certainly appears true.

13. Leonthepro

But in that case the 200 looks better than the 300...

14. G B Kuipers

I think you missed my point. I am not saying that the supplied charts are incorrect.

I have owned and enjoyed the MP110 and the MP200 and do recognize their freq behavior corresponding the given charts. But there is so much more to their sound and characteristics than these charts can describe. Think about this. You can measure a frequency response chart of Art Garfunkel's voice and compare with Paul Simon's voice's response. Will that be a relevant definition of their respective voices? I think not.

15. Tim1954

Depends what you want. Many don’t have a goal of flat line measurement.

The Mp-300 has less bass and less treble. I prefer the MP-200, but this depends on other factors like speakers. I use Wharfedale Denton 80ths in my room with the MP-200 so they handle it well. Brighter speakers might respond better to the MP-300.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, it does, the 300 rolls of very early at 2.5K while the 200 looks flat to almost 20K.
    I believe that the MP-200 is the sweet spot although the MP-500 is very good. Personally, I would not even consider the MP-300.

Cyclone Ranger and Leonthepro like this.
  17. Tim1954

These are simply a reference point and not intended to imply otherwise.

macster likes this.
  18. Tim1954

Actually the MP-200 has about a 2db rise from 14-18k.

I love the MP-200, but while I know people call it the sweet spot, it does seem to have that extra “air” to it which this chart confirms.

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, you're right, I had to magnify the chart but I see it too.

20. Leonthepro

Just had mine for a while, but on certain records I wonder if my old MP-110 wasnt a bit better on the soundstage. MP-200 seems to be more upfront, which is perfect for Jazz.
    Could also just be my amp dying on me.

21. Tim1954

Yeah, there are so many variables. I actually find the MP-200 can be just a bit tough on certain jazz. Trumpets mainly. Saxophones it handles very well. That may not say as much about the cart as how trumpets were often recorded starting in the 50’s as discussed here by Steve, but on some Blue Note stuff I prefer a Grado Red.

Leonthepro likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

Which between your MP-110 and MP-200 is the quietest cart by the way? In regards to surface noise and crackling. And is one playing quieter music than the other in general?

23. G B Kuipers

The 200 is a much better cart than the 110, because it simply extracts much more info from the grooves. Hence also more noticable groove damage, hiss, and bright sounding trumpets if that's on the recording. Yes, the 110 has some roll off but that is not saying anything about the quite dramatic difference in resolution. You could take an equalizer, boost some highs on the 110 and it will not sound like the 200 at all. This is a good example in my opinion that looking at charts gets you nowhere if you want to know what the difference is between two carts. You have to try them in your system and listen. The 110 is a very good cart for the money though. My favorite 'forgiving' and musical budget cart.

24. Tim1954

The MP-110 is a bit quieter, but to me it is simply no match for the MP-200. With the MP-110 you get a sound a bit more closely related to similarly priced Grado, IMO. Warm and easy on the ears, but not with the same level of high frequency extension.

IMO, if you listen to mostly quiet music, the MP-110 is a good match. And if you have bookshelf speakers, it may be worthwhile to try placing your speakers on very low stands as opposed to ear level.

Leonthepro and G B Kuipers like this.
  25. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I think you're misrepresenting the way humans hear. Yes, the human ear adapts to its environment and compensates for it - for example, adapting to room EQ - but it does this in order to gain an accurate impression of sounds within that environment - for example, a cartridge with a hump in the treble! The human ear is very good at detecting differences in EQ between different sound sources and although there might be an element of adaptation over a long period of time, I have found that a bright cartridge or a bright pair of speakers will always sound bright however long you own them.

Ben Adams and MusicNBeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.