Nagaoka - Frequency Measurements Of All 6 Carts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim1954, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Could someone please explain what do these figures mean and how to interpret them?

2. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

The top line is the actual frequency response. The bottom humping line is harmonic distortion I'm assuming.

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I see. Yes, that roll off starting at 3KHz is pretty disappointing for the MP-300. I have a 110 and know about it but didn't expect that for the 300.

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Never saw a need for the MP-300 ... at its price, one may as well go for the MP-500. They're the same cart body anyway, just different styli.

I'm currently using a MP-110 and MP-500. I think the replacement stylus I recently got for my MP-500 is better than the stock stylus that came with it! Absolutely floored at what I'm hearing from my system. IGD has disappeared except on pretty damaged LPs.

The MP-110 is wheeled out for jazz and more ambient or gauzy recordings - for instance, I prefer the Dead Can Dance and Cocteau Twins reissues from 4AD with the MP-110.

I think my next purchase will be the JN-P200 stylus to use on my MP-110 body.

Nagaoka for life as far as I'm concerned at this point.

Paul H, Cyclone Ranger and punkmusick like this.
  5. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I agree the human hearing is amazing at identifying sonic fingerprints if you will. For instance, when my wife is talking to me in a room we have never been in before, I recognize her voice, hear where it's coming from, and I can make pretty good estimates about the size of the room, materials, positioning furnishings etc. Same with hearing the fingerprint of a cart in a hifi system. Going on step further, we are even listening through the cart to the recorded event, recognizing familiar singing voices, room information, positioning of the players, microphones used, etc. It's truly amazing.

My point is that the relevance of frequency charts is a little overrated in this thread. I feel we should not judge a cartridge's ability to convey all this complex information by its freq chart (unless it is an outrageous curve of course). This thread shows lots of people drawing too many conclusions from these charts, eg about the MP300.

Perception of brightness for instance can be strongly influenced by (small) distortions in the chain, an effect that may outway the cart's inherent frequency response.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Hi Ben,

I have a mp-300 with a worn out stylus and i know that the 500 stylus does fit on an 300 body but will it give me the exact frequencies measurements (or very close to it) of a 500, will it sound the same?

BTW the reason I bought the 300 was because I read a quote somewhere (I don’t remember where) that it’s the Nagaoka founder / CEO favorite of all their range pf carts. he must know! :)

I would describe the 300 as laid back and smooth sounding with not a particularly wide sound stage, I found that it’s works best with acoustic and jazzy sounding records and less with rock, It’s not a particularly energetic sounding cart.

I very much like the tonality of it and think it has a seductive quality that is hard to appreciate at first but have to admit i was very disappointed by it’s inner groove tracking abilities, I’m hoping the fine line stylus of the 500 will solve that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

G B Kuipers likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It will work on the 300 yes. The line up share their bodies in pairs like this:

• MP-100
    • MP-110

• MP-150
    • MP-200

• MP-300
    • MP-500

Dafox and Ben Adams like this.
  9. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

But internally are the bodies the same?

10. Leonthepro

Yes, only the stylus assembly differs within the paired groups.

Doctorwu likes this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The cart body is identical, so if you place a JN-P 500 stylus on it, it will be a MP-500!

Doctorwu likes this.
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Excellent explanation, thank you!!

Basslines, Leonthepro and punkmusick like this.
  13. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Thanks!

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Great!

15. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Exactly right - the voice of someone we know well sounds the same to our ears wherever we hear it, even though it is greatly affected by the room it is in. That's why I don't believe in room correction!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't place a great deal of faith in these charts. They obviously come from the manufacturer and even allowing for the scale, the variations in EQ look too small to be credible. Less than +/- 2dB 25Hz-20kHz for an MM cart? Gimme a break!

16. Leonthepro

Wait, you dont believe in room correction? What does that even mean?

17. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

He means digital room correction, the fad of all A/V receivers/amps. I don't believe in it either. If your speakers are putting out a nice flat response, you need to fix your room if it's sounding bad. Room correction distorts the signal to the speakers in attempt to "undo" the room effects. The problem is the room effects change drastically from different listening positions. IMO, the best chance for the best sound is to output a neutral response and adjust speaker position and acoustically treat the room if needed.

18. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

[​IMG]

Love a good nagaoka thread :)
    Pretty sure he answered your question above, but thought this chart might be of interest too

Cyclone Ranger and Ben Adams like this.
  19. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Looking at chart i can see that the "Inner Impedance" and "Magnetic Circuit" of the 300 and 500 have different values, i'm not sure how these two factors affect the sound but it seems the Carts are slightly different internally, or am i reading it wrong?

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Has anyone compared any of the Nagaoka(s) with the Denon DL-103?
    I have never owned a Nagaoka but I own a Denon that I quite like, and I have been told that they have similar sound signatures.

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

I believe a freq response +/- 2dB from 25Hz-20kHz is tricky. It´s especially tricky at the lower end, where other components than the cartridge itself will be seen. I don´t know how these plots are made, but we will need something very free from resonances and a something very dampened to be able to achieve them. But the response would be doable with the right circumstances I think.
    I have this response from about 30Hz and up with an AT cartridge.

22. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Perhaps not in the exact same ballpark but i currently run a Nagaoka MP50 and switch between a Denon DL110.....i do slightly prefer the Nagaoka....slightly.....

The Nagaoka is more detailed to my ears, but the Denon is no slouch and just seems to do everything well. It always has me tapping my toes.
    The Nagaoka always ends up back on the turntable however..........

I had a MP30 prior and found it had a bit more "rock" to the MP50 which has a bit more "jazz" (hopefully that makes sense to ya'll) haha

I started this thread a while back and its still fairly active now and again, just in case you want to read even more Nagaoka!

Where's my Nagaoka peeps at?!?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Daniel Thomas, Ben Adams and 5-String like this.
  23. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident Thread Starter

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I am getting more and more intrigued by Nagaoga each day :righton:

Jelloalien likes this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

... whoa. Hm. Could those specs specifically mean with stylus installed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.