NAGAOKA JN-P200 stylus on an MP-110 cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Morpheus Blak, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus Blak

Morpheus Blak Member Thread Starter

Greetings everyone! I've already done a fair amount of reading in these forums on this subject, but I would like to find out from some of you- who has had a successful pairing of a NAGAOKA JN-P200 stylus on an MP-110 cartridge? Any compatibility issues? Is it a good upgrade sonically for the (approximate) $130 it would cost to buy this stylus? I already have the MP-110 cartridge on my turntable, so wondering if this makes a compatible and nice upgrade without buying an entire MP-200. Thank you for your feedback.

On_the_dunes likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It does work for sure. The only problem is that Nagaoka make different bodies for their carts in 2 steps, the shared bodies go like this:

• Nagaoka MP-100 / Nagaoka MP-110

• Nagaoka MP-150 / Nagaoka MP-200

• Nagaoka MP-300 / Nagaoka MP-500

So while the JN-P styli fit on all the carts the full upgrade can only be had if they share the same internal body.
    The real question is how big of a difference it makes. I would be interested to know someone who has tested with a modified cart and a properly compatible one how big the difference is, like in the case of using an MP-110 and JN-P200. Especially considering Im an MP-110 owner myself. Ive heard some claim 90% of the full upgrade but dont quote me on that.

If anything you and your records will absolutetly benefit from the nude diamond and boron cantilever.

Oh and welcome to the forum ;^)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. Morpheus Blak

Morpheus Blak Member Thread Starter

Ahhhh, so you are saying that the JN-P200 stylus would actually be a better pairing with the MP-150 than an MP-110?

Thank you for the welcome Leon. :)

4. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

Why such a cost difference for JN-P200 between fleabay (from Japan) and US online vendors? Are the fleabay styli the real thing?

5. Leonthepro

Dunno why I never responded to this but yes.

6. Leonthepro

Same here in Sweden. I think its still legit. Nagaoka are made in Japan after all.

H8SLKC likes this.
  7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The MP-110 is a great cart, probably the best in that price range but the 150, 200, 300, 500 are far too expensive IMO.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Was there a difference between the MP11b bodies and the MP11 ones?

9. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I don't have either cart so I can't help the OP but if I had an MP-110 and could upgrade the stylus to a boron cantilever and nude diamond for $125 with the promise of decreased surface noise, I would do it in a heart beat.

harkpabst and Jelloalien like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Sadly you will get worse sound from doing so.

11. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I am not arguing that a 150 or 200 stylus on a 110 body would equal or exceed the proper stylus on the proper cart. All I am saying is that, based on many reviews and testimony, that a MP-110 with a 200 stylus is better at surface noise reduction and in some other ways sounds better than the MP-110 itself. I haven't read anybody saying that putting a 200 stylus on an MP-110 body will result in worse sound. If so, please let me know.

punkmusick and H8SLKC like this.
  12. Leonthepro

I guess you answered right before the video was there?

13. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I have a friend who has this combo (110/200-stylus) sounds very nice to me. The stylus is quieter in the grove.

14. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I'm using a JN-P200 stylus on an MP-110 cartridge. When I switched to the upgraded stylus, what I heard right away was better detail and clarity. It also eliminated the occasional sibilance problem that I got from the MP-110. I thought the difference was a pretty clear upgrade, with no appreciable downside, with one small exception -- I did not hear a decrease in surface noise, and in fact I might getting just a little more surface noise with the JP-P200, but the overall improvement is worth it to me, no question. I found the MP-110 to be pretty great for minimizing surface noise, so if that's your main objective, I'd stick with the standard stylus. BTW, I'm running it on a modded Rega RP1 -- Groovetracer subplatter, acrylic platter, and counterweight, and the white Rega belt.

I've never heard the MP-200 cartridge, so I can't tell you how much better it is that this combination. Since it's a different body, it's hard to imagine that the whole cart isn't better. That might be my next upgrade -- or the 300.

On_the_dunes and Jelloalien like this.
  15. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

In my buddies system the surface noise is less. Different tables could be the reason. He has his mounted in an modified AR table.

16. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

17. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Since they are produced in Japan the sellers seem to get to sell them at a very modest price (less or no middle man) compared to the premium price seen in North America. They’re likely all real, just from sellers all over the world

18. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Can you ask what the difference elecrixally between the MP11B and the MP11 was?
    I have the MP11B body and don't know if it's cool to put a JN-P100 or 110 is cool or I'd it's meant to deal with the boron cantilever and it's resonant frequency.

19. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

This may help - Nagaoka MP-11 - Manual - Japanese Moving Permalloy Stereo Cartridge - Vinyl Engine

But I'd imagine you'd be perfectly fine putting a jnp110 on that without issue

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Just a note- I had both MP-110 & Grado Green (same price range). The Grado Green had much more 'wow' factor, but the MP-110 tracked better on a test record. The Grado did improve tracking on test record with a 6 gram vs 13 gram head shell on my medium mass tone arm. Grado never had any tracking issue on a recording (record). AT VM540ML way outperformed both cartridges though.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Jelloalien likes this.
  22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Do you know of any shop in Canada that would have Nagaokas in stock for sale? I tried Planet Of Sound but they don't have it in stock. I'd like to try a MP-300 or a MP-500.

23. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Myself, I only sell the styluses right now.

I've never bought from this place, and sometimes find them on the higher end of pricing, but could give it a shot
    Nagaoka MP-300 Cartridge

Other than local stores though and I’m not sure they ship internationally.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Thank you.
    I'll be in Toronto in a couple of weeks, hence the question.

25. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I think bay bloor radio sells them, maybe give them a call or email :)

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.