Nagaoka MP-110 or Goldring 1006 on a Thorens TP-90 arm? Or save for the Denon DL-103?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Yost, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

Last year I bought a used Thorens TD-320 turntable. It has the TP-90 arm (7.5 gram) and it came with a Denon DL-160 cartridge. I really liked the sound of this combination, well-balanced and both warm and with a little sparkle. Sadly, last week I broke the stylus. As the DL-160 has a non-replaceable stylus, and the cartridge is no longer for sale, I'm on the lookout for a new cartridge.

I narrowed it down to the Nagaoka MP-110 and the Goldring 1006. Many people rave about the MP-110, so that seems a no-brainer for its price (140 euro in my area). I cannot find much info about the Goldring 1006, but one reviewer on YouTube thinks it is slightly better than the MP-110 and I can get it for a decent price (180 euro). A Nagaoka MP-150 is more than twice the price of the MP-110 in my area, so that's not an option. The Ortofon 2M Blue seems nice too, but is probably to analytical for my taste.

So I'm specifically looking for some real world input on the Goldring 1006. Did you have it or hear it and does it sound good?

A totally different line of thinking is to stay with the Denon DL sounds and buy a DL-103. But that is about 300 euro in my area, and kind of out of my price range. I understand it's also a wrong match with my lightweight (7.5 gram) arm? A DL-110 might be an alternative too, but that feels like downgrading...

Anyway, advice and insights are appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Yost

Correction: the arm on my Thorens TD-320 is a TP-16 MkII, not a TP-90. Still 7.5 grams effective weight, though.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Don't recommend Goldring 1000 series on an arm that light. Choose a more compliant cartridge.

Yost likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Denon 103 is also a severe mismatch.

Again, with a lightweight arm, you want a more compliant cartridge. I would choose something in the 20-25 cu range for a light arm like that. It's also worth noting that some Japanese companies measure compliance at 100hz rather than 10hz, so you have to take their dynamic compliance number and multiply it by 1.7 or 1.8 to get a rough estimate of what the number at 10hz would be. This isn't exact, just a rough estimate. Another way to deal with it is to take the static compliance and divide it in half - also rough estimating there.

Re: the DL-110, that is the closest thing available to the old DL-160.

This tool should help you narrow down your cartridge choices:

Cartridge Resonance Evaluator - Vinyl Engine

McLover, Cyclone Ranger and Yost like this.
  5. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

'Sorry to hear about your DL-160. That's a nice sounding cartridge and to my ear a step up from the DL-110 (but some people prefer the 110). If you really like the 160, have you considered getting it re tipped? I have a re tipped 160 and it sounds very nice.

I have a similar 7.5 gram tonearm as yours on my Thorens TD-147. In today's world, that is a fairly light tonearm and I've found that there aren't all that many cartridges being made that are a great match as far as compliance.

The older Ortofon OM series of carts are a good match for a lighter arm and are still available. I've tried both an OM-20 and 30 on my 147 with good results. The OM-10 is still quite affordable. A Shure M97xE would also work if you like a warmer sound. They have been discontinued but I believe are still available. There are quite a few vintage Shure cartridges that will work on your arm such as the 75, 91, 95 and 97. There are several mid quality - high quality new replacement styli being made for the old Shure cartridges.

The two cartridges that I enjoy the most on my 147 are a Grado Gold and Denon DL-301MkII. The new Grado Prestige "2" series has been getting good reviews. They start at the Black (least expensive) and go to the Gold (most expensive). The Denon DL-301MkII is a low output moving coil cartridge and will need to have a phono pre amp that can handle its lower output or a step up device (usually a transformer - SUT).

I've wanted to try a Nagaoka on the 147 but have read that they prefer medium mass arms. Good luck!

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Yost

I'm really totally flabbergasted. It seems that cartridge-arm dynamic compliance is very important, but manufactures hardly say something about it that makes sense. Some only mention static compliance, no-one seems to state whether they measure at 10Hz or at 100 Hz. Some measure in mm/uN, and some in 10^-6 cm/dyn. It really doesn't make sense at all. :confused: :realmad:

patient_ot likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of cartridges.

Step 1: ignore reviewers and those that parrot them.

Step 2: decide what features are important to you in a cartridge, what meets your budget, and what matches your tonearm.

Step 3: narrow down the list and select a cartridge.

bever70 likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It is on the light side but not crazy light like a Black Widow or something like that. Ortofon, Audio Technica, Denon, Grado, Soundsmith, and perhaps something else I'm forgetting all make cartridges that should be a close enough match.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Jico has the best quality aftermarket styli around. They may not be identical to the OEM ones but they are close enough for many people.

Besides Shure, Stanton and Pickering are worth a look, specifically the XV-15 and the 680/681. Jico makes a wide variety of styli for these cartridges, ranging from med/high compliance, medium compliance, to lower compliance DJ models. If OP looks around they can probably find a clean cart body or even an NOS one for $100 or less, then put the appropriate Jico stylus on it for another $60-$180.

10. Yost

The Nagaoka MP-110 seems to have a dynamic compliance of 8. 8 "something" at 100Hz (copy of a paper manufacturer spec found on this site in a 2017 thread). Multiplying this with 1.6-1.8 to get to 10Hz gives it a dynamic compliance of 13-14.5 at 10Hz. It's 6.5 gram.

The Goldring 1006 has a dynamic compliance of 10 "something" at 10Hz. It's static compliance is 20 at 10 Hz (manufacturer specs). It's 6.3 gram.

According to one site, the dynamic compliance of a Grado Red is 20. But another site lists that same 20 as just compliance where the 1006 is also noted as being 20. So what is true? It weights 5.5 gram.

If the Red is really 20, it's a nice fit. If I need to divide that 20 by half, it's just as bad for my arm as the 1006...

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wouldn't get the Nagaoka. I've heard some examples measure around 18 cu but you are risking a mismatch if you go for it.

I have a Goldring 1000 series cartridge, the 1042. I can confirm the suspension is very stiff, and it works better on a heavier arm. Specs from the manufacturer confirm this. Not a good match for your arm.

Grado Red would probably work. Bear in mind Grado cartridges can hum with unshielded motors and have tracking problems on some arms due to the undamped suspension. Dunno if that would be an issue with your Thorens or not. I would research before buying, or cross it off the list.

Personally I would look closely at the Ortofon OM series or the AT VM500 series.

If you want to try something different, vintage/NOS Shure or Stanton + Jico stylus as described above.

There is also the DL-110 which would be the closest thing to your old cart. Unfortunately that is a cart with a lot of conflicting info from anecdotal reports. If the DL-160 was working okay with no resonance or tracking issues, then it is probably okay.

Yost likes this.
  12. Yost

Indeed, if I believe the statement in this thread, the MP-110 should be rated at 16-17 @ 10Hz. Which brings it easily in the save range…

patient_ot likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yeah, it'll probably work fine. Very overhyped cart though.

bever70 likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I have a TD 320 too, but I never liked that TP 16 tonearm so mine is highly modified and somewhat higher mass to work better with the LOMC cartridges I prefer, but what about the newer Audio Technica cartridges like the VM540ML? They are rated at a compliance of 10 @ 100Hz, just like my AT33PTG/II, but I've found by measuring on my Micro Seiki tonearm that the 10Hz compliance is around 20 on the PTG, so would probably fall right in the nice resonant frequency range, especially with some good heavy metal screws and nuts to attach. You could always add a little weight if it needs it. Anyway, the 540 is pretty cheap in todays market at around $250, and highly regarded around here too, so there should be someone that has actually measured resonant frequency with a know tonearm effective mass, and could verify the high compliance. I know many are using it on Technics arms with around 12 g mass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  15. Yost

The 540 is 250 euro around here, so a bit above my price range.

16. Yost

I’m investigating the Ortofon 2M Blue right now.…

17. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The 2M and OM series have a very similar design internally. With the 2M series you get more plastic around the body and maybe stronger magnets for higher output. The styli at the upper end of each series are also a little different. IIRC the OM40 is an FG tip while the 2M Black is a Shibata tip.

19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Not for the money... it's a $120 USD cart that outperforms most any other $120 cart overall.

The overhyped part came in when some ppl somehow got it in their heads that the mp110 should be able to clobber carts that cost triple what it does.

Still can't figure out how that one got started... :sigh:

20. Yost

If it is bought outside of the EU, you have to add 21% sales tax and €14 administration cost to get it into my country. :cry:

BTW, the 540 has a dynamic compliance of only 10. Or is that at 100Hz?

Edit: found it myself, it’s 10 at 100Hz. So it’s in the safe zone.

Davey likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, at 10hz, it should be around 20HZ. Great match for a light arm. What does the VM530EN cost in your country? You could buy that an upgrade the stylus when the stock one wears out?

Yost likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

On the first point, I would say it's on about the same level as most other carts at that price, e.g. $100-$120. Better than crap like the 2M Red? Sure, but that's a low bar.

On the second point, I agree. This happens with a lot of products for some reason.

23. Cyclone Ranger

Aside from the Grado Green, there isn't really anything in the mp110's price class I even much like, much less.would say is as good (though I haven't heard the Sumiko Pearl yet).

Hype aside, the mp110 is a good cheap cart, credit where credit is due. I even like it slightly more than the 2M Blue - and I say that as someone who likes the 2M Blue. :thumbsup:

The mp150 is, of course, way better than the mp110, but should be given its price.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Yost likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have a horse in this race. To me all the cartridges mentioned above are mediocre, because I'm picky and have very specific requirements out of my cartridges. It's like arguing over what brand of frozen fruit is best when one prefers fresh fruit.

25. Cyclone Ranger

If it was unclear from my wording, I like both the Grado Green and the Naga mp110. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.