Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylSoul, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Got my MP-500 from Kazu today, very satisfied so far!

kazu and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have a 2M Black and an MP-500 os separate armwands on my Scout. I love them both, but the 500 has a more relaxing presentation that I really like. Would be very tough decision if I had to give them both up, but I would likely keep the Nagaoka!

kazu and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  3. thommo

thommo Senior Member

The 500 is pretty heavy, so it might not balance out. Personally, I think a 200 would be the most i'd go to on a debut.

kazu and mikeyt like this.
  4. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Thanks Luca,
    I hope the you will enjoy your New MP500 and be happier!:)

5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Could someone (Kazu?), please measure the height of the MP500 cartridge (from the stylus to the mounting platform)?

Thanks.

kazu likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What's the compliance spec on this cart?

kazu likes this.
  7. The listed spec is 8.5 x 10-6 cm/dyne, but that's based on the 100 Hz reference frequency used in Japan. The compliance numbers used in North America and Europe are based on a 10 Hz frequency, and it's been told that you can estimate the value for this frequency by multiplying the 100 Hz compliance by 1.8. Assuming it's true, the dynamic compliance of the MP-500 at 10 Hz is 15.3 x 10-6 cm/dyne.

jupiterboy and kazu like this.
  8. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hi, I have just measured my MP500.
    It's about 20mm from the tip to top of cartridge.

Thanks.

9. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Thank you! The reason I asked was to estimate how much VTA spacer adjustment would a Rega RB303 tonearm need with it. As Rega cartridges are 14mm tall, at least 4mm shim would be needed for the Nagaoka. All Nagaokas are the same size, right?

kazu likes this.
  10. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Yes, All Nagaokas are almost the same size.
    Now I am using MP500 with RP6. Also, I'm using a "Rega 3point VTA Arm Height adjuster" which is set to 2mm.
    Nagokas requires 2mm shim on RB303.

11. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

12. :(

BTW Kazu, I saw your message on your website. Hope you are feeling better. Get well soon, man! :)

13. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

Has this affected your prices yet? I saw the message on your website also. Hope all is well.
    You are posting on forums so hopefully ok/better?

14. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Thanks for your concern about my health and kind word!:)

15. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Hi SamtheMan,

Unfortunately, my currently prices of Nagaoka cartridges and replacement styluses on my website are not effective anymore.
    Though I will not know whether the prices of Nagaoka products in foreign countries rise in future. Regarding cartridges, I may not have an opportunity to sell it anymore. Because a disparity between domestic and foreign prices disappeared...

Kazu

16. Although I could buy my cartridge from you and hopefully I won't need to buy another one, these news make me sad. It's almost impossible to find such a high quality product at such low prices. :cry:

17. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

I will be able to post any news after one month when I come back to my home from hospital.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    motorcitydave likes this.
  18. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply Kazu. I am sorry I missed out on the previous deals but happy that many here and elsewhere benefited from your good service from what appears to have been great value for a great cartridge. I have heard some of your needle drops with Rega RP6 and the 500 and they are very impressive.
    Good luck to you and good health.

Sam

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Hi Kazu, I hope things work out well for you. I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles.

I was also planning on buying a MP-300 from you in the future, price increase is unfortunate.

20. kazu

kazu Forum Resident

Thanks Sam-san, mikeyt-san and all... Kind word! :)
    Thanks again!

21. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Kazu,
    I hope you are doing well. I also was interested in buying a new cart or stylus from you. Please keep me informed.
    (Looking for a 300. I love the 110 I purchased from you very much!)

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

かずさんへ
    げんきになってください!

23. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I bought an MP-500 for just under $400 on Amazon Japan in April of last year. Now the Japan domestic price is around $600, eBay prices are $700 and up.

motorcitydave likes this.
  24. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Now it's a rip-off for what it is. It's not a $600 cart. There are far better options.

25. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I haven't heard any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.